[1.12.x] Far Future Technologies - August 23: new engine!

Nertea

2 hours ago, derega16 said:

How can I refuel fuel pellet? I click two storage but there's no transfer button

I know Nertea made some of the resources not transferable or not transferable unless there is an engineer present etc. Although usually Nertea is pretty good about mentioning such things in part descriptions however in this case there doesn't seam to be much information available, at least not that I have been able to find...

17 hours ago, Nertea said:

Side note, I have recently been informed that the LqdHe3 to LqdDeuterium ratio is wrong. Don't know how this slipped through, it must be holdover from a very old version of the mod. A more realistic ratio is about 1L Deuterium to 4L He3 (currently it's 2L D to 3L He), because density of the resources is not accounted for.

Fixing this affects crafts somewhat. Should I actually do it?

I'm inclined to say yes if this will improve the mod long-term. Less painful to do so when the mod is relatively young and fewer people will be affected. The release notes will warn users of a potentially breaking change. 

31 minutes ago, PocketBrotector said:

I'm inclined to say yes if this will improve the mod long-term. Less painful to do so when the mod is relatively young and fewer people will be affected. The release notes will warn users of a potentially breaking change. 

I agree with this viewpoint. (Especially because I haven't built any craft that use this yet.)

Excitedly digging into this, as my current career save is getting to where I'm using NTRs and VASIMRs and want the next steps on deck.

I need to get some better radiators, and need your recommendations. Is Nertea's Heat Control the best thing going? Adequate for torch ships?

Now if only we had microwave beamed power outside of KSPIE, kopernicus, and GPP, then I'd never leave my computer.

35 minutes ago, mistergoblin said:

Excitedly digging into this, as my current career save is getting to where I'm using NTRs and VASIMRs and want the next steps on deck.

I need to get some better radiators, and need your recommendations. Is Nertea's Heat Control the best thing going? Adequate for torch ships?

Heat Control is a useful mod but those radiators won't come close to cooling the crazier engines in this mod. Luckily FFT/HeatControl comes with really advanced radiators so you shouldn't need to worry about having the right parts for cooling these monsters.

2 hours ago, CDSlice said:

Heat Control is a useful mod but those radiators won't come close to cooling the crazier engines in this mod. Luckily FFT/HeatControl comes with really advanced radiators so you shouldn't need to worry about having the right parts for cooling these monsters.

I must be missing something then, I didn't see any new radiator parts under the heat tab, just the heat exchanger and cooling tanks.

EDIT:  me no smart, i found them all. now to fly :D

Edited by mistergoblin
new developments have come to light

2 hours ago, CDSlice said:

to my knowledge FFT doesn't add any radiators, they all come from systemheat alone (even the big graphene ones)

Seems like there's no opposition to the ratio change, so I'll do it. 

3 hours ago, mistergoblin said:

I am actually not aware of radiator mods that are not Heat Control ;). FFT does not include any new radiators by itself. 

As for beamed power, you might be in luck:

21 hours ago, Akira_R said:

Just as an FYI that legacy version is literally nothing like the current version, Nertea scrapped everything and started from scratch so just be aware of that. Additionally it had this anti-matter generation system that if I remember correctly was kinda bugged out. Additionally it tried to utilize the stock heating system which was massively problematic, the huge heat out put of many of the engines was just way to much for the stock system to figure out especially in regards to various catch-up situations when coming out of an on-rails situation and explosions due to this were a very frequent concern. So if you are intending to use it on an older ksp version because you have a save game you don't want to abandon I would strongly caution against it because that old version was not very save friendly as frequent vessel loss was a thing.

Thanks for the warning. Is it known if vessel loss was due to a bug in the plugin or only the game's poor handling of EC usage and heat during timewarp and on unloaded vessels?

I'm only intent on using the nuclear salt water and fisson fragment rockets, which don't seem to have properties the game can't handle in testing, but if there are issues outside of that...

21 hours ago, Starseeker said:

On another note: is there a particular reason the NSW tanks are 5 sub-tanks instead of 7? It feels a bit weird that there's so much empty space, and six-around-one has the same maximum diameter as four-around-one.

It could be that empty space is a cheap way to introduce extra spacing between tanks and reduce the risk of a fission event. Each tank itself already has many internal divisions to prevent fission, but if many of those tanks are packed together the one in the middle might still be at higher risk in the event of a leak or something.

Or it could just be artistic licence, and to help visually differentiate them from other tank types.

Edited by Rocket Witch

1 hour ago, Rocket Witch said:

Thanks for the warning. Is it known if vessel loss was due to a bug in the plugin or only the game's poor handling of EC usage and heat during timewarp and on unloaded vessels?

I'm only intent on using the nuclear salt water and fisson fragment rockets, which don't seem to have properties the game can't handle in testing, but if there are issues outside of that...

Pretty much exactly that, yeah. Terrible handling of heat during warp means you have to wait many IRL minutes for a vessel to cool down or else initiating warp may result in unexpected kabooms since it averages part temperature, and does so with no respect to relative heat temperature tolerances or thermal mass.

Also it's worth noting there's only one FFRE in old-FFT and it's not afterburning, in case you were hoping for that.

Honestly, I loved old-FFT and originally planned to stay on it when Nertea steadfastly declared that antimatter was not in scope for nu-FFT, but well ... we see what happened there. There is no resisting the power of beam-core antimatter torches.

2 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

So it's possible.

(Cause I really don't feel like throwing Bob into Interstellar space to be lost forever without even a chance of returning to Kerbin)

also I fear that my pc (even with an upgraded ram) will melt if I combine my near future install with GU, even without scatterer and eve

Absolutely love all your mods, thanks a lot for all the effort you put in!

Question on JR-45 'Fresnel': As soon as reactor is started, temp rising to 1600K and reactor shutting down, independent how much of the biggest radiators I stick on (40+).

I'm no computer-expert, but had a look at the config file and found ShutdownTemperature = 1600 for the FusionReactor (Line 207), shouldn't this be 1800 like for the engines?

(Tried it out with 1800 and then engine works alright)

Using the JR-20a 'Fresnal' and I'm stumped on how this works.

EC consumption for my craft is 20 per second, 100 per second if 6 large radiators are running. This is even WITH the JR-20a built-in reactor running. I have a sneaking suspicion this isn't how it's supposed to be?

Also, I overheated my FX-3 reactor and the warning message "Reactor overheating" stays on screen even after shutting down the reactor and cooling it to 0. I also suspect this might be a bug.

If you want a log let me know. Otherwise I'll keep this post clean.

EDIT:

Cooling big hydrogen tanks takes a lot of EC, people! Don't learn the hard way like I did :P

Edited by Fundati

13 hours ago, Cave_Lupum said:

Absolutely love all your mods, thanks a lot for all the effort you put in!

Question on JR-45 'Fresnel': As soon as reactor is started, temp rising to 1600K and reactor shutting down, independent how much of the biggest radiators I stick on (40+).

I'm no computer-expert, but had a look at the config file and found ShutdownTemperature = 1600 for the FusionReactor (Line 207), shouldn't this be 1800 like for the engines?

(Tried it out with 1800 and then engine works alright)

Yeah it's known, every time I'm about to make a fix release though someone finds a new bug, e.g. below. 

4 hours ago, Fundati said:

Also, I overheated my FX-3 reactor and the warning message "Reactor overheating" stays on screen even after shutting down the reactor and cooling it to 0. I also suspect this might be a bug.

Cheers I'll look into that.