[1.12.x] Far Future Technologies - August 23: new engine!

Nertea

10 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

How deep did you have to go?

Actually I made it above OPM's Sarnus. Sarnus' atmosphere starts ends at 580 km and I finally started scooping LqdDeut at around 495 km.

Edited by ktosiu

Started playing around with the Heinlein NSWR - I thought RoverDude's Orion was pretty mighty, but I think the NSWR might have it beat. I built a Deep Space Vessel and surface launched it with what I thought was a workable set of systems. (yes, I know - the RPG aspect means I irradiated all of KSC) It was a bit of a surprise to remember how much I'd forgotten about reactors in KA and NFE - I melted down the flat fission reactor because the loop temp was too high, which meant no EC for the NSWR, which meant - you guessed it - no NSWR. So I disconnected 2 of the 16 radiators I was using to cool the dual NSWRs (forgot to mention that - there are 2 of them) and used them to cool the reactor, which got the loop temp down to the required 900K. Was then able to make orbit burning only 20% of the ship's NSW load. Only to find I'd forgotten to bring a 2nd engineer and couldn't spin up the hab.

I think that's the most fun I've had building ships in the last 6 months. System Heat has really come a long way, and all the FF parts have really come together. The artwork and models as always are impeccable, but it's the systems and monitoring etc that I've been most impressed with during the last year's development, and it's the main reason why I prefer to play with the NF/KA/HC/FF cluster of mods rather than Kerbalism or MKS. Excellent work!

FcN6IhM.png

b5nG0PP.png

Edited by panarchist

1 minute ago, gefer8 said:

Hello, thanks for the update. The Vulcan Smelter now has enriched uranium storage, but now when I attempt to put fuel in there, it says it can't handle radioactive storage.

f94FR98.jpg

It uses the SystemHeat radioactive transfer mechanics, not the old NFE ones. 

On 2/22/2021 at 12:19 PM, DAL59 said:

Which version is compatible with 1.8.1?

You could probably try, but this mod was not developed for 1.8.1.

The parts would probably be fine, but the framework mods, especially system heat would probably break.

Overall there probably isn't a compatible 1.8.1 version

It was, but the update post was lost.

• Updated DynamicBatteryStorage to 2.2.2
  • Updated DeployableEngines to 1.3.0
  • Updated CryoTanks to 1.6.0
  • Updated Waterfall to 0.5.0
  • Updated SystemHeat to 0.3.7
  • CHANGED ALL FUSION FUEL RATIOS
    • 2u LqdDeuterium : 3u LqdHe3 -> 1u LqdDeuterium: 4u LqdHe3
    • Affects all fusion engines and fuel tanks
  • Added EnrichedUranium storage to Nuclear Smelter
  • Increased Fresnel's auto-shutdown temperature to 1900K from 1600K
  • Doubled cost/unit of Deuterium and He3 tanks
  • Fixed incorrectly calculated mass/unit of combined tanks
  • Corrected a missing bracket in the stock scanner patch
  • Rewrote some logic in the antimatter handling code
  • Fixed fusion reactor overheat message sticking aorund forever
  • Fixed 2.5m fusion reactor bottom node not moving with variant
9 hours ago, gefer8 said:

How does one do that? It only displays heat for me.

Ha0Klqa.png

It occurs to me that I probably need to make this more dynamic, use the old transfer mechanic if there is FFT but no SH fission reactor integration and so forth

3 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

system heat would probably break.

Surprisingly, I tried it out and the whole mod works fine in 1.8.1!  The effects look really cool.  @Nertea I think the fusion and antimatter drives come way too early in the SIMPLEX tech tree though.  

1 hour ago, DAL59 said:

Surprisingly, I tried it out and the whole mod works fine in 1.8.1!  The effects look really cool.  @Nertea I think the fusion and antimatter drives come way too early in the SIMPLEX tech tree though.  

Try the TETRIX TechTree and you'll find it a bit better i think.  Same principle but it is extended, particularly for Nertea's mods.  I provide support for my trees to allow modders such as Nertea to focus on their awesome work.

59 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

I think that's @theJesuit's issue, not Nertea's.

It certainly is...  thanks for the ping.

1 minute ago, mikegarrison said:

I just tried to download this from spacedock and got an error 404 when following the download link. The mod page is there, but the download didn't work.

then maybe try from github

I tested it, got an error too