[1.12.x] Far Future Technologies - August 23: new engine!

Nertea

FFT 1.0.1

• Updated SystemHeat to 0.3.4
  • Updated SpaceDust to 0.3.3
  • Updated Waterfall to 0.4.1
  • Fixed localization of small radial fission tank
  • Fixed mesh offset of medium radial fission tank
  • Fixed a number of science point and antimatter tank loading bugs

9 minutes ago, kspnerd122 said:

I am, but I am in atmo, so I cant use all of them, I also have heat sinks, I dont know why it shuts off so fast, also, I hate how the heat can start rising, before I LAUNCH IT

Try putting the Radiators in a cargo bay so they don't get aero forces.

49 minutes ago, kspnerd122 said:

Small issue, I cannot use any of the engines because they overheat in 3 sec, is there a way to disable it(or slow it)

Of course you can disable it (Alt-F12 -> Physics -> Thermal -> Heat Generation Rate slider). It's cheating though. Explain more specifically what your issue is and maybe we can help explain how to design things that won't overheat ;). 

38 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Radiators in a cargo bay

22 minutes ago, kspnerd122 said:

Well, I could just clip a bunch of radiators inside a fairing or something

I mean... I personally think clipping is more cheaty, but they would accomplish the same thing.

Are you using Heat Control? Some of the large, static radiators are pretty durable.

1 hour ago, kspnerd122 said:

My issue is that I am trying to use a tokomak engine in atmosphere, so I cannot use any large radiators, And SystemHeat will not register the engine until it shuts it off

I'm not sure what you mean by that. It sounds like a bug, but I'm pretty sure that would have been caught as it is pretty up there. Can you describe more what you mean? 

I can't wait to see someone get a full-length Frisbee into orbit (with the parameter that it rendevouz and connects to a ship meant to use it), that'd be a sight to behold.

Edit: now that I think about it, the Frisbee is powerful enough to get itself into orbit

Edit 2: now that I've actually attempted this I realize I overestimated its ASL thrust by epic proportions

Edited by ProfessorPalpatine

I have read the above problems, and I think it has something to do with having the Max Autoshutdown Temp of reactors on engines on 1000K by default. Most engines perform at a 100% at 1300K, so it will always shutdown no matter how many radiators you put on.
I have realised this yesterday :rolleyes:

12 minutes ago, Overlocker96 said:

I have read the above problems, and I think it has something to do with having the Max Autoshutdown Temp of reactors on engines on 1000K by default. Most engines perform at a 100% at 1300K, so it will always shutdown no matter how many radiators you put on.

One of the extra challenges that System Heat introduces is that it makes you look at the max thermal load of different heat-generating parts such as reactors and engines, and devise the best way to separate them using “Heat Loops.” Heat Loops simulate sets of liquid coolant lines that are separate from each other and therefor will route to different sets of radiators (and coolant tanks of you use them). 

You’ll see that engines usually have much higher max thermal loads than reactors. Sometimes they are close enough that you can keep them all in the same loop and raise the default shutdown temp of the reactor to tolerate the higher heat level, but the consequence is this decreases the reactor life and performance over time.

To keep your reactor running at healthy levels you will want to give it its own smaller set of radiators and put it in its own “Loop.”

40 minutes ago, Overlocker96 said:

Please read through the Gameplay section of the SystemHeat wiki  and let me know if it helps.

36 minutes ago, kspnerd122 said:

I managed to use an engine, for once, it worked, and I got to orbit.

In systemheat menu in VAB, an RTG, for example, increases heat in the overview, however, the tokomak does not show up as a heat source

Pictures? More info? Looks fine ingame to me.

On 1/7/2021 at 3:05 PM, kspnerd122 said:

My issue is that I am trying to use a tokomak engine in atmosphere, so I cannot use any large radiators, And SystemHeat will not register the engine until it shuts it off

Was wondering the same thing earlier, found another solution: add coolant tanks to the heat loop (into a hollow tube or cargo bay). These can slow down the rate of temperature increase enough to allow not requiring radiators for the atmospheric part of the ascent.

Can't figure out how to turn Uranium into NSW. Where does the 'Vulcan' Nuclear Smelter take its Enriched Uranium from? It does not have EnrU capacity (like the Whirlijig) and EnrU is set to NO_FLOW  and NONE transfer mode in resource configs.

On 1/9/2021 at 8:30 AM, Apelsin said:

Was wondering the same thing earlier, found another solution: add coolant tanks to the heat loop (into a hollow tube or cargo bay). These can slow down the rate of temperature increase enough to allow not requiring radiators for the atmospheric part of the ascent.

This is the 'intended' model.

2 hours ago, ktosiu said:

Can't figure out how to turn Uranium into NSW. Where does the 'Vulcan' Nuclear Smelter take its Enriched Uranium from? It does not have EnrU capacity (like the Whirlijig) and EnrU is set to NO_FLOW  and NONE transfer mode in resource configs.

Unless something changed in the way fuel flow is defined, the converter is set to be able to pull from other parts, which overrides the default fuel flow settings.