[1.12.x] Far Future Technologies - August 23: new engine!

Nertea

System Heat 0.4.0 seems to have broken the Hoover Atmospheric Harvester.

Symptoms are: constantly generates heat even when not active; won't deploy, harvest gas, or even register the presence of gas; spams the console and log file with NullReferenceExpetions.

[EXC 14:41:33.100] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    SpaceDust.ModuleSpaceDustHarvester.AddFlux (System.Single outletTemperature, System.Single systemPower) (at <9fdbabd8c3b74ef7bfa18508d07db5f6>:0)
    SpaceDust.ModuleSpaceDustHarvester.FixedUpdate () (at <9fdbabd8c3b74ef7bfa18508d07db5f6>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

The insert image thingy doesn't want to work for me here, but here's a screenshot link https://photos.app.goo.gl/zhPckCVDkhgbgXhF6

10 hours ago, nickbuss said:

System Heat 0.4.0 seems to have broken the Hoover Atmospheric Harvester.

Symptoms are: constantly generates heat even when not active; won't deploy, harvest gas, or even register the presence of gas; spams the console and log file with NullReferenceExpetions.

[EXC 14:41:33.100] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    SpaceDust.ModuleSpaceDustHarvester.AddFlux (System.Single outletTemperature, System.Single systemPower) (at <9fdbabd8c3b74ef7bfa18508d07db5f6>:0)
    SpaceDust.ModuleSpaceDustHarvester.FixedUpdate () (at <9fdbabd8c3b74ef7bfa18508d07db5f6>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

The insert image thingy doesn't want to work for me here, but here's a screenshot link https://photos.app.goo.gl/zhPckCVDkhgbgXhF6

Get the latest version of Space Dust (0.4.1). It has a fix.

Hi!

First of all I want to say that, I absolutely love this mod and all the other ones you created!

I wasn't 100% sure in which treat it is supposed to go, but I have run into a slight issue where all my radiators fly of during re-entry, even the smaller surface mounted ones, is it a common issues or could it have to do with KSP interstellar ?

Kind regards,

Yuu

Hey @Nertea, obviously not a huge deal to me, and I hope no one else, but the localization key is incorrect for the Nuclear Smelter when toggling, starting, and stopping the Ablator Refurbishment process. In the localization config your key is *nuclear-smelter-375-1_ab_* but it's *nuclear-smelter-375_ab_* in the part config. Always love what you come up with, thank you brother!

2 hours ago, Weak Player said:

@Nerteawill these engines run in time warp like the KSPIE engines, because i want to do a high energy burn with the impulse engine to take a heavy payload to another star system (base construction) and the TWR is . . .
So if they don't, is there a way to run them in time warp? :)

You will have to install PersistentThrust and maybe edit some cfg files for that. It's not too difficult or time consuming.

Edited by Apelsin

@Weak Player Well PersistentThrust should add the time warp ability to all engines by default. If you just want it on specific engines:

Spoiler

Go to the .cfg file in the PersistentThrust folder and remove the patch adding the PersistentEngine module to everything, and then go to the specific engines you want it on and paste the module among the other ones already there. 

@Nertea Not sure whether to report this bug here or in DynamicBatteryStorage.

I have a ship with 4 JX-200 Z-pinch fusion engines, and an FX-2 fusion reactor. At high time warp it was running out of electricity, and the NF Systems Manager was showing "Required Buffer: 0.00 Ec" under the compensation system. I also noticed Systems Manager was reporting a negative 3300 Ec/s Power Flow, even though this wasn't the case and the ship was generating plenty of power.

Digging into the power consumption details, it turned out the fusion engines (which had Engine Charging enabled) were each reported as a 1000 Ec/s drain (the speed at which they're set to recharge). Even though the capacitors were full. I disabled then renabled the Engine Charging on all engines and the problem was solved, I have a positive power flow, the compensation sets the buffer to the correct amount and I can time warp at high speeds.

Before disabling / renabling Engine Charging:

Spoiler

ge06niM.png

After:

Spoiler

JoYMQEV.png

Player.log:

https://file.io/enqNkYKv5p2j

Mod list:

Spoiler

000_AT_Utils
000_USITools
B9PartSwitch
CommunityCategoryKit
CommunityResourcePack
CryoEngines
CryoEnginesNFLVWaterfall.cfg
CryoTanks
DecayingRTGs
DeployableEngines
DynamicBatteryStorage
FarFutureTechnologies
Firespitter
GroundConstruction
HeatControl
KerbalAtomics
KerbalAtomicsLH2NTRModSupport
KerbalEngineer
kOS
MechJeb2
ModuleManager.4.1.4.dll
NavyFish
NearFutureAeronautics
NearFutureConstruction
NearFutureElectrical
NearFutureElectricaNTRs
NearFutureExploration
NearFutureLaunchVehicles
NearFutureProps
NearFuturePropulsion
NearFutureSolar
NearFutureSpacecraft
RealPlume
SmokeScreen
SpaceDust
Squad
SquadExpansion
SystemHeat
TimeControl
UmbraSpaceIndustries
Waterfall
WildBlueIndustries

4 hours ago, Mutex said:

@Nertea Not sure whether to report this bug here or in DynamicBatteryStorage.

I have a ship with 4 JX-200 Z-pinch fusion engines, and an FX-2 fusion reactor. At high time warp it was running out of electricity, and the NF Systems Manager was showing "Required Buffer: 0.00 Ec" under the compensation system. I also noticed Systems Manager was reporting a negative 3300 Ec/s Power Flow, even though this wasn't the case and the ship was generating plenty of power.

Digging into the power consumption details, it turned out the fusion engines (which had Engine Charging enabled) were each reported as a 1000 Ec/s drain (the speed at which they're set to recharge). Even though the capacitors were full. I disabled then renabled the Engine Charging on all engines and the problem was solved, I have a positive power flow, the compensation sets the buffer to the correct amount and I can time warp at high speeds.

Before disabling / renabling Engine Charging:

Reveal hidden contents

ge06niM.png

After:

Reveal hidden contents

JoYMQEV.png

Player.log:

https://file.io/enqNkYKv5p2j

Mod list:

Reveal hidden contents

000_AT_Utils
000_USITools
B9PartSwitch
CommunityCategoryKit
CommunityResourcePack
CryoEngines
CryoEnginesNFLVWaterfall.cfg
CryoTanks
DecayingRTGs
DeployableEngines
DynamicBatteryStorage
FarFutureTechnologies
Firespitter
GroundConstruction
HeatControl
KerbalAtomics
KerbalAtomicsLH2NTRModSupport
KerbalEngineer
kOS
MechJeb2
ModuleManager.4.1.4.dll
NavyFish
NearFutureAeronautics
NearFutureConstruction
NearFutureElectrical
NearFutureElectricaNTRs
NearFutureExploration
NearFutureLaunchVehicles
NearFutureProps
NearFuturePropulsion
NearFutureSolar
NearFutureSpacecraft
RealPlume
SmokeScreen
SpaceDust
Squad
SquadExpansion
SystemHeat
TimeControl
UmbraSpaceIndustries
Waterfall
WildBlueIndustries

Thanks, I'll look into it!

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Nertea said:

FFT 1.1.4

• Updated Waterfall to 0.6.3
  • Updated SystemHeat to 0.4.1
  • Updated SpaceDust to 0.4.1
  • Fixed an issue with reporting of electric charge consumption with ModuleChargeableEngine

Hi Nertea

Love your work!

I just saw in the latest April 2021 JBIS journal an excellent new rocket proposal - the Quenching Superconductor Rocket. (Journal of the British Interplanetary Society Vol74 n4, page 150-155. Basically an Orion without the messy radiation :)

I'd love to see it in a future version of FFT!

Regards

DX

Hello! Im sorry, im not sure where else to put this, but i really want to play with all of your mods, and duely installed all of them, along with module manager and community resources, but when i tested things out in sandbox, the only things that are working are the solid fuel rockets. this seems to extend to stock parts too (and is similar to a problem ive had before with the stock parts). it seems to only affect anything that needs fuel tanks, and im not sure whats causing it; ive fulfilled all of the requirements to get the engines running but nothing happens when they activate. I went through a whole launch sequence with fusion engines, activating the reactor after charging and cooling it, feeding it all of the fuel and power it needed, it says it activated and  get no warning messages: nothing happens.  The thrust limiter is at 100 as well, so it cant be that. 

sorry to be a bother

On 4/22/2021 at 9:14 PM, incompletemachine said:

Hello! Im sorry, im not sure where else to put this, but i really want to play with all of your mods, and duely installed all of them, along with module manager and community resources, but when i tested things out in sandbox, the only things that are working are the solid fuel rockets. this seems to extend to stock parts too (and is similar to a problem ive had before with the stock parts). it seems to only affect anything that needs fuel tanks, and im not sure whats causing it; ive fulfilled all of the requirements to get the engines running but nothing happens when they activate. I went through a whole launch sequence with fusion engines, activating the reactor after charging and cooling it, feeding it all of the fuel and power it needed, it says it activated and  get no warning messages: nothing happens.  The thrust limiter is at 100 as well, so it cant be that. 

sorry to be a bother

Seems like an issue with the throttle, especially given how solid-fuel rockets are working fine. This might sound stupidly simple, but just double-check and make sure you've got your throttle engaged.
If that doesn't fix it, then you'll want to grab your player.log (under Users\<user name>\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program on Windows), upload that to a file-hosting site, & post the link here, as well as a list of the mods you've got.

Edited by Starseeker

I have a shortish question:

How can you get deuterium and liquid helium 3 ? 

(Appart from having tanks in the vab, but mainly asking about resource extraction)

I do have MKS/USI mods maybe you can get it via that or is it different how you can get those resources from stuff FFT adds ?

17 minutes ago, Yuubari_ said:

I have a shortish question:

How can you get deuterium and liquid helium 3 ? 

(Appart from having tanks in the vab, but mainly asking about resource extraction)

I do have MKS/USI mods maybe you can get it via that or is it different how you can get those resources from stuff FFT adds ?

you can get He3 through the regolith excavator thing(s)

also you can get both from ram-scooping gas giants and through the space scoop

59 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

you can get He3 through the regolith excavator thing(s)

also you can get both from ram-scooping gas giants and through the space scoop

Thank you very much for your quick reply!

I just hope it will work nicely (ish) with beyond home ><

33 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

hmmm, I'm not an expert but I think BH needs spacedust compatability for that, though idk if there is already

Got it! I will look into it when I get home (I have been playing on my playthrough for a decent amount, just haven't done the scanning yet for the resources, I hope it will work, sadly I haven't seen any regolith or helium 3 in my scansat scans >< (of the 3 places I was sofar))