[1.12.x] Far Future Technologies - August 23: new engine!

Nertea

1 minute ago, Yuubari_ said:

Got it! I will look into it when I get home (I have been playing on my playthrough for a decent amount, just haven't done the scanning yet for the resources, I hope it will work, sadly I haven't seen any regolith or helium 3 in my scansat scans >< (of the 3 places I was sofar))

I think helium-3 can be found (in a system/planet mod with compatibility) with the FFT/Spacedust scanners

5 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

I think helium-3 can be found (in a system/planet mod with compatibility) with the FFT/Spacedust scanners

I think space dust doesn't work out of the box with BH since it seems like the configs are set on a per planet basis (and I don't fully understand how to adjust it for BH)

Very stupidly put, what does one need to adjust/change in the cfg for space dust to make it work on different planets ?

And I am not sure if it is a question for the FFT or  Space Dust treat ?

On 5/5/2021 at 11:42 AM, Brin01 said:

Hey, is there any reason the A-CY1-5 antimatter container would just explode when it has more than enough power available to keep it from doing just that?

Not without knowing more, from the helpful How to Get Help sticky, for example. 

1 minute ago, Yuubari_ said:

I was wondering if there is a way for produce deuterium in some way, I know you can get Liquid Helium 3 from the surface of certain mooons, but I am not too sure about a way to produce deuterium ^^

you can get it from scooping with the atmospheric ramscoop and the exo-scoop, idk if you can get it from other ways

I understand any proposed features are unlikely to make it in, but I've had an idea that struck me as too interesting (== crazy, presumably unworkable) not to try.

You've included Project Pluto-like nuclear fission ramjets in Near Future Aeronautics; have you explored the notion of nuclear fusion jets befitting this mod's tech level? My limited understanding of jet propulsion systems says it should work: after all, all the nuclear reaction does in either case is superheat the air going through the engine.

29 minutes ago, Angstinator said:

I understand any proposed features are unlikely to make it in, but I've had an idea that struck me as too interesting (== crazy, presumably unworkable) not to try.

You've included Project Pluto-like nuclear fission ramjets in Near Future Aeronautics; have you explored the notion of nuclear fusion jets befitting this mod's tech level? My limited understanding of jet propulsion systems says it should work: after all, all the nuclear reaction does in either case is superheat the air going through the engine.

Thought about it, couldn't make it very interesting gameplay-wise or importantly, visually.

2 hours ago, Nertea said:

Thought about it, couldn't make it very interesting gameplay-wise or importantly, visually.

Visually you might have a point, as an engine exposed to atmosphere it'll have to be all streamlined and sleek. However, I see an option in detailing the fusion device powering the engine. That reactor - I'd pick a stellarator for its lack of central solenoid - may require permanently-attached conformal radiators and/or a LACE-style precooler that liquefies part of the intake gas and flushes it through the reactor's divertor plates. This means lots of pipes, external radiator or maintenance access panels, and potentially secondary intakes or outlets for the cooling systems.

Gameplay-wise I've been imagining a charge hog that actually drains less energy the further you crank up the throttle, since the reaction will begin to sustain itself at some point. I can see the primary concern at high throttle levels being overheating even with integral cooling, but this may create a problem if we assume slow throttle response. I imagine it to be faster than the fission jet's, however, what with fusion processes being quite sensitive to changing conditions.

7 hours ago, Angstinator said:

Boy, do I have good news for you lol - something I've been working on:

Spoiler

bMeOuKT.pngyfUCRfJ.pngKEgBLkH.png

NFA Pr Eeloo for comparison. Note: stats are not finished.

There's still lots to work left to do but a pre-release is likely inbound within a couple of weeks :D

Edited by Apelsin

• 2 weeks later...

Is SpaceDust a hard dependency for FFT? I'm using a planet pack that doesn't have any SpaceDust support (Galileo's Planet Pack), so I'm wondering if I actually need the mod if it's literally not going to do anything with the system I have. (I also have Rational Resources, which from the little bit of github diving I've done seems to provide a source for most/if not all of the resources needed, and is a lot easier to configure)

18 minutes ago, CessnaSkyhawk said:

Is SpaceDust a hard dependency for FFT? I'm using a planet pack that doesn't have any SpaceDust support (Galileo's Planet Pack), so I'm wondering if I actually need the mod if it's literally not going to do anything with the system I have. (I also have Rational Resources, which from the little bit of github diving I've done seems to provide a source for most/if not all of the resources needed, and is a lot easier to configure)

I think it's a hard dependency

Edited by Starhelperdude
left hard out

Hmm... I retrurned some mined munar He3 to the KSC for profit... but... instead it ate up all my funds. It seems the He3 itself brings in the correct funds, but for some reason the He3 tanks cause enormous negative funds on recovery.  I am unable to upload a screenshot right now but the recovery window says (for a craft with two He3 tanks recovered on Kerbin):

ST-4L3R Fusion Fuel Tank

QTY: 2   Part Value:  -1,841,583  (total) +-3,683,166 funds (yes, plus minus)

Well, you know, I cheated back my funds using the debug menu, but still, would be nice if I didn't have to ;)

Just now, RedRoyal25 said:

Is there a way to use the mod without having to download system heat? it is breaking all of my old craft it feels so much harder to use even normal nuclear engines now

you don't need to use the SH patch for stock engines

56 minutes ago, RedRoyal25 said:

can I just remove System Heat in general? I much prefer the stock heating systems

so you prefer a complicated, unoptimized and hard- to learn system over systemheat?!

but whatever, it's your opinion

idk if fft works without systemheat

4 hours ago, RedRoyal25 said:

can I just remove System Heat in general? I much prefer the stock heating systems

No you can not, FFT is built around SystemHeat and will simply not function if you don’t have it. Although I do understand the pain of it breaking already existing crafts, at least for me it is much easier to build my crafts with SystemHeat than the stock heating system so I do highly recommend learning how to use it.