[1.12.x] Far Future Technologies - August 23: new engine!

Nertea

7 minutes ago, ra4nd0m said:

Wow it seems that third torch from that poll is finally makes its way into the game. Amazing! But can someone please explain me why is it using a magnetic confinement nozzle?

Because the exhaust is too hot and would melt a traditional nozzle. 

16 minutes ago, Angstinator said:

At some point you just can't use normal materials to confine a continuous nuclear explosion.

What are "normal" materials? Are they orthogonal on another surface? :D:cool:

2 hours ago, Random Chimp Event said:

I came across a weird issue after installing where the following engines can't be placed and flicker when picked up in the builder, and game shows a null reference exception.

• A-134NG
  • A-7007
  • JP-10
  • K-8
  • X-20

Can anyone think off the top of their head what might cause this? I can provide more info if needed.

More info is certainly needed, but first please verify the presence of all the mod's files and dependencies. 

14 hours ago, Rakete said:

Looks great. Vacuum-only engine or a lifter-viable-thingy ? Really looking forward to. It looks so amazing!

Is it a big bad boy version of the Heinlein, a nuclear salt water engine, as you said "like of the rest of the fission engines"? Since it seems to burn continously, i'd guess it's something like that?

It currently has a pretty ridiculous 3.8MN of thrust and 120,000s of specific impulse to 'balance' it against the other torches, which is 'probably accurate' to some kind of 50% enriched fuel. It's viable to use in atmo (at half thrust at sea level), but with 50 MW of heat production it is going to require some interesting radiator design decisions.  

11 minutes ago, Nertea said:

but with 50 MW of heat production it is going to require some interesting radiator design decisions. 

50 MW? Holy Cow... that's a tough beast. Think this will require some spamming of coolant tanks and not-so-aerodymanically optimized but robust grey radiators. 

Maybe some nice curved wrap-around graphene radiators (in SH) for aerodynamic optimized vehicles in a ruggedized version would find some customers/buyers. Think you gonna build up a  market request on for this kind of part. :D 

That's how business works. Creating a market request and satisfying it. :cool:

Jokes aside: Really looking forward to playing around with this beast. Think, some kerbals want to ride this hot dragon.

Edited by Rakete

Mhh? Meant as a analogon (hot, as of 50MW waste heat and dragon as it really spits a hot breath according to Nerteas Screenshots of the plume). But I'm not a native speaker. Have i overlooked a pun?

Edited by Rakete

7 hours ago, Rakete said:

Mhh? Meant as a analogon (hot, as of 50MW waste heat and dragon as it really spits a hot breath according to Nerteas Screenshots of the plume). But I'm not a native speaker. Have i overlooked a pun?

For some people, everything is a euphemism for something dirty. Which can be really funny, but you didn't say anything wrong at all.

The thrust seems to be really low on these engines, for example the A-134NG only generates 420kN of thrust in a vacuum. I have the same problem with your NFT mod where the largest magnetoplasmadynamic engine only generates 47kN of thrust. It's not a conflict with another mod because I tested it on a clean install of KSP. Am I doing something wrong or is this expected behavior? 

13 hours ago, Nertea said:

but with 50 MW of heat production

Oh it seems we do need new aerodynamic radiators at all. Switchable triangle shaped radiators help but not enough. I wonder is there a possibility of a part that converts current air flow into cooling capacity so we can get additional cooling while in the atmosphere.

10 hours ago, ra4nd0m said:

h it seems we do need new aerodynamic radiators at all. Switchable triangle shaped radiators help but not enough

Yeah, and Nertea stated, that those are not made for take-off - too fragile. So there is a real gap in the SH radiators. But I don‘t worry. I am almost sure, that SH will upgraded by Nertea at some point in future to fill that hole in the radiator line-up.  … (if he still likes to do modding then...)

Edited by Rakete

46 minutes ago, Rakete said:

Yeah, and Nertea stated, that those are not made for take-off - too fragile. So there is a real gap in the SH radiators. But I don‘t worry. I am almost sure, that SH will upgraded by Nertea at some point in future to fill that hole in the radiator line-up.  …

I think that’s the general plan as well. I do believe that a radiator revamp will come next after nertea had his break.

59 minutes ago, Nertea said:

I mean, just because you can doesn't mean you should, really ;).

What, you mean running an engine that dumps 50MW of waste heat and has exhaust that is essentially a continuous nuclear explosion and is so hot and energetic that you have to use magnetic confinement to keep it from melting itself may not be the best thing to run in an atmosphere or on your launch pad? Who could have guessed? :confused:

3 hours ago, CDSlice said:

may not be the best thing to run in an atmosphere or on your launch pad? Who could have guessed? :confused:

Maybe not kerbin as radiation sickness for the poor Kerbals is no option.... but places like Tylo or Eve?! If no kerbal is left behind, you can contaminate whatever you want. Tylo is just a big rock. 

I'm still figuring about a visually pleasing Eve ascender. All I could do in the past with the stock stuff was functional, but... ugly.... very very very ugly... so maybe the actual or upcomming FFT-Engines have an option for something compact for Eve ascent.

Edited by Rakete

@Nertea Improvement Idea for next release:

Is it possible to make the info how many EC the FFT Engines/Reactors need to charge up available in the part info, so that we can tailor the amount of batteries/Capacitors to enable charging? 

E.g. it could be a nice idea to have the energy to start the fusion reactor as back-up in tailored capacitorbanks, even if the batteries are low. Or have a set of disabled back-up batteries, that contain the needed amount of energy. In most cases i ended up with hugely oversized batteries/capacitors for this job, so the individual charging amount would be an useful information about the part. Just an idea.... 

Edited by Rakete

4 hours ago, Rakete said:

@Nertea Improvement Idea for next release:

Is it possible to make the info how many EC the FFT Engines/Reactors need to charge up available in the part info, so that we can tailor the amount of batteries/Capacitors to enable charging? 

E.g. it could be a nice idea to have the energy to start the fusion reactor as back-up in tailored capacitorbanks, even if the batteries are low. Or have a set of disabled back-up batteries, that contain the needed amount of energy. In most cases i ended up with hugely oversized batteries/capacitors for this job, so the individual charging amount would be an useful information about the part. Just an idea.... 

Yes this could and should be added, particularly since the generic chargeable engine already displays this.

I love the new NSWR engine, thanks for the hard work Nertea, looking forward to see what you do with FTT!
I also like how it is easier to get the fuel, compared to the Fresbee, having a bunch of Ore mined and Enriched Uranium is enough to have 1 or 2 of the 5m big tanks full.
I had built this ship in orbit using the new EL and shipping Ore and Enriched Uranium from a mining base at the Mun.

aAhaPPj.png

You kinda jumped the gun there! Last night's dev state had some nasty bugs. Here's some official update pictures.

FFT 1.2.0

• Marked for KSP 1.12
  • Updated SystemHeat to 0.5.5
  • Updated SpaceDust to 0.4.2
  • Updated DynamicBatteryStorage to 2.2.5
  • Updated CryoTanks to 1.6.1
  • Updated DeployableEngines to 1.3.1
  • Updated Waterfall to 0.6.7
  • Added X-43 'Niven' Advanced Nuclear Salt Water Rocket: 5m fission torch drive
  • Added NTS-501 Fissionables tank: 5m long NSW tank
  • Added NTS-502 Fissionables tank: 5m short NSW tank
  • Increased advanced antimatter tank capacities by 2x (all other specs identical)
  • Added a threshold timer for antimatter detonation * Fixed localization of nuclear smelter ablator mode
  • Fixed some zeroed entry costs for parts
  • Tweaks to fusion reactor description strings
  • Fixed boattail title localization for Heinlen NSWR
  • Effects cleanup
    • New NSWR plume and sounds
    • Switched from Squad to custom sound handler, should prevent crackling interference with pulse engines
    • Fixed a number of conflicting sound directives on multimode engines
    • New plumes for Clarke, Asimov, Discovery, Fresnel, Cascade using new Waterfall features like distortion, engine lights
Edited by Nertea

13 minutes ago, ra4nd0m said:

Why not 42? It is so close to the ultimate question of life universe and everything so why not?)

I typoed the changelog, it actually is 42!

This engine provides an answer to life, the universe and everything