[1.12.x] Far Future Technologies - August 23: new engine!

Nertea

On 8/23/2021 at 11:36 AM, Nertea said:

FFT 1.2.0

• Added NTS-501 Fissionables tank: 5m long NSW tank
  • Added NTS-502 Fissionables tank: 5m short NSW tank

Any chance for fissionable fragments part variants like their 2.5 m counterparts?

1 hour ago, danfarnsy said:

Any chance for fissionable fragments part variants like their 2.5 m counterparts?

though it wouldn't be really useful since we don't have a 5m Fission particles engine and the asimov doesn't need that much fission particles anyway

29 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

though it wouldn't be really useful since we don't have a 5m Fission particles engine and the asimov doesn't need that much fission particles anyway

Plus the twr tanks hard with FFRE/AFFRE when you overload it 

Edited by HoskJa

3 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

2 hours ago, HoskJa said:

Plus the twr tanks hard with FFRE/AFFRE when you overload it 

5m habitables from SSPXR, 5m hydrogen tank for afterburning on Asimov, then a 5m squat fissionables fuel tank (which is only 31% more fuel than 2.5m long tank) with 5m to 3.75m adapter for engine makes way more sense than adapting 5m to 2.5m then back to 3.75m, especially if they're using the same texture space anyway. We're also not talking about anything that's outside the realm of other FFT TWR or dV, and large dV enables all kinds of mission profiles either outside of normal transfer windows or high energy transfers to OPM planets. Y'all aren't imaginative enough.

Edit: I'm not careful enough. An Asimov drive core pushing an 85 ton payload will only use ~48 fissionables for an entire 5m hydrogen tank, providing ~49k dV. A squat 5m fissionables tank would have ~800 fissionables left over after that, which would provide ~39k dV after that. Using reaction products mode isn't sensible for heavy payloads.

I should go buy a hat so I can eat it.

Edited by danfarnsy

On 8/23/2021 at 10:50 PM, Rakete said:

Do have all engines now have sounds?

Yes it should be sorted out now. 

4 hours ago, HoskJa said:

Already preparing this war crime with the new engine unknown.png

Ooof, I hope the stray neutrons from the side engines don't uh, go into that main tank stack. 

4 hours ago, danfarnsy said:

No, probably not anytime soon. Use the radial ones in a truss.

Edited by Nertea

5 hours ago, Nertea said:

Yes it should be sorted out now. 

Ooof, I hope the stray neutrons from the side engines don't uh, go into that main tank stack. 

No, probably not anytime soon. Use the radial ones in a truss.

Ahahahaha I hadn't even considered that, I was pretty sure it was gonna be the wash from the engines that would melt and breach the fuel tanks, but it would go off like a bomb on throttle up from the firehose of neutrons

7 hours ago, Rakete said:

what? This will melt to a hot disaster... :D

"Melt" is generous

Edited by HoskJa

37 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Yes it will die in fusion fire

What's the reason? Is the long tube to hot to mount something on, or is it just game design to make it harder for the people to stick enough radiators? The long tube literally screams "cool me directly" :cool:

14 minutes ago, Rakete said:

What's the reason? Is the long tube to hot to mount something on, or is it just game design to make it harder for the people to stick enough radiators? The long tube literally screams "cool me directly" :cool:

You can think of it as functionally part of the nozzle, so you can't stick things to it for the same reason that I don't let you stick things to other nozzles. If you observe the model you see similar art language for radiation shields and magnet cooling systems - something placed near that area without the specific shadowing that the 'built-in' radiators have will have a very unpleasant thermal and radiation environment.

54 minutes ago, Rakete said:

Intense light (x rays, gamma rays, etc) and the few stray neutrons from D-D reaction in the He3+D plasma have to be shielded against by careful geometry in the engine's design. Things not considered in the shielding in the nozzle's structure would be bombarded with radiation similar to the core of a star, or the first moments of a fusion bomb. It would evaporate most materials very rapidly.

(thank you ksp forums for not allowing me to reply to separate things at once, so these two posts are combined.)

Minor quibble with the model of the "cascade" z pinch engine: the rear half of the engine (from the shadow shield back) is shifted downwards (or perhaps the other way around, it's hard to tell), causing the truss structure to protrude into the shadow shield and the engine to be off-center.

unknown.png

Edited by HoskJa

1 hour ago, HoskJa said:

Minor quibble with the model of the "cascade" z pinch engine: the rear half of the engine (from the shadow shield back) is shifted downwards (or perhaps the other way around, it's hard to tell), causing the truss structure to protrude into the shadow shield and the engine to be off-center.

I've noticed a few problems like that lately. On my end the Large 5m antimatter tank doesn't line up with the other parts.

23 hours ago, HoskJa said:

Intense light (x rays, gamma rays, etc) and the few stray neutrons from D-D reaction in the He3+D plasma have to be shielded against by careful geometry in the engine's design. Things not considered in the shielding in the nozzle's structure would be bombarded with radiation similar to the core of a star, or the first moments of a fusion bomb. It would evaporate most materials very rapidly.

(thank you ksp forums for not allowing me to reply to separate things at once, so these two posts are combined.)

Ah, I'll have to take a look at that...

I have no idea how to cool some of these bigger engines without cheesing it with multiple Heat Control micro-graphene radiators clipped into the body of the spacecraft.  Anything else looks aesthetically awful or can't fit into a fairing for launching into orbit.  Am I missing an intended design technique?  I would be grateful for some inspiration!

3 hours ago, Friznit said:

I have no idea how to cool some of these bigger engines without cheesing it with multiple Heat Control micro-graphene radiators clipped into the body of the spacecraft.  Anything else looks aesthetically awful or can't fit into a fairing for launching into orbit.  Am I missing an intended design technique?  I would be grateful for some inspiration!

Are you using the extendable micro-graphene radiators? They tend to fit into fairings much better. As far as aesthetics go, you will need to use a lot of radiators because these engines produce insane amounts of heat. In fact the amount of heat they produce has been scaled down a lot from IRL, some of these engines would need literal miles worth of radiators. 

On 8/30/2021 at 2:07 PM, nubeees said:

Has anyone else had this problem:

https://imgur.com/a/fKT2O1m

Or do I have something installed incorrectly? 

Once I open the reactor control UI for the fusion reactors, I cannot close it again because it covers the sidebar.

Do you have your UI scaling settings set something weird?

7 hours ago, Friznit said:

Just pointing out here that aesthetically awful is subjective.

Also, yeah, it's very tough to launch some of these from Kerbin. Clearly these are the type of things that would be built in orbit, but KSP1 doesn't really allow for that.