[1.12.x] Far Future Technologies - August 23: new engine!

Nertea

8 hours ago, BadModder54 said:

This  m a y  sound dangerous, but I've encountered no issues scaling Far Future tanks using the "All Tweak" mod. https://spacedock.info/mod/2100/All Tweak

Thanks very much. I'll give it a try.

In fact, I get quite confused why cannot just let the beautiful cryo tank mod from same author handle deuterium and helium, by physics it is completely ok.

Edited by cinemagic

• 2 weeks later...

that's a lot of types of fuel. do you mean units?

with regards to your heating errors, make sure you pack enough good radiators. There are some radiators which are much better than others. Also, different parts have different heating limits, so your probably just over heating your craft. Also what engine and radiators are you using. Some of the more advanced engine require slightly ridiculous amounts of radiators. 

hope this helps

2 hours ago, Light_Gladiator said:

How the hell do you get all the fuel on board of the vessel, like I have 12412 types of fuel and still missing something

Each engine and reactor should tell you what types of fuels it needs in the VAB part list (right click to expand the part infobox), just add the correct tanks to your craft. FFT engines don't run on stock LiquidFuel, they need their own specialized tanks containing the correct resources

2 hours ago, Light_Gladiator said:

Also how do you cool the system, I have 12 radiators all in heat loop 1, along with the engine, yet it still boils itself to bits!

Is the engine also in the same heat loop? Also, refer to this: https://github.com/post-kerbin-mining-corporation/SystemHeat/wiki/Building-Cooling-Loops Different radiator types have different cooling properties and optimal temperatures, same with heat sources like engines or reactors

Edited by OrdinaryKerman

This mod is incredible.
What’s the best way of utilising the end-game engines in this mod? It there a mod that lets you set up brachistochrone trajectories in KSP or is it feasible to just burn towards target, then flip and burn target retrograde half way? 

I think your best bet for that would be Persistent Thrust (and also installing Persistent Rotation along with it), that way you can do the type of "spiral in/out by just keeping the engine running while thrusting pro/retrograde" burns that you need to do with some of the low-thrust engines in this mod (mostly the laser ICF and fission fragment engines, with their ~40kn thrust on a craft of likely a few hundred tons).

Helps out a lot with the other engines too, since you'll no longer need to cluster them or stick to the NSWR exclusively (because IN THRUST WE TRUST, to reduce our burn times).

Of course you'll probably want to find/install a MM patch that nerfs the thrust of the ion engines along with that, just so they act as they should.

To be honest if they're not, those mods should be suggested as however Nertea puts "these other mods work well with this mod to give a more complete and fun experience" because let's be honest nobody has the patience to wait several IRL hours for a craft to complete a long-duration burn with these engines (that's why I've stuck to the NSWR engines so far, and even then if you have a 40km/s burn to wait thru that takes a good bit of time).

EDIT: Of course, plotting out and executing brachistochrone trajectories is beyond the scope of those mods, but you've got the right of it that the basic way to go about it is to accelerate towards the target for half the distance then flip and slow down for the rest of the trip.

Edited by SciMan

8 hours ago, TKMK said:

Hey all

Can anyone link to some data on how much heat some of these engines make? Im looking to get into modding, and i want to make a patch which makes the engines produce realistic amounts of heat? I also dont know if the license allows me to do this. 

Generally, you can take a look at the http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/engineintro.php - most of the futuristic engines have an entry there. Probably not exactly the reference that has been used for FFT, but it will give you some data

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2022 at 11:39 AM, Hoddd9000 said:

This mod is incredible.
What’s the best way of utilising the end-game engines in this mod? It there a mod that lets you set up brachistochrone trajectories in KSP or is it feasible to just burn towards target, then flip and burn target retrograde half way? 

Yes a brachistochrone trajectory would be the best way to use these engines. Scott Manley has a good video on how to set these up, including the math and his "eyeball it" method, which is close to the burn target-flip burn anti target-approach you describe, with a way to measure when to flip. As someone else already said, unless you plan to exclusively use the NSW engines a mod that allows you to burn while warping would be nice, if not mandatory (unless you wanna run your computer for hours or days). BetterTimeWarp is another option to PersistentThrust, this mod allows you to modify the physics/non-physics time warp rate, allowing you to even go to x100 physics time warp (although you would need a very stable ship and a very low twr to prevent a kraken attack with this). As a personal suggestion, I would rescale the kerbol system, look into the RSS pack, or install a planet mod that adds distant planets/other systems to visit, as most of the end game engines of this mod would be great to turn those 6-16 year long missions into something more manageable like a 1-3 year long mission

On 6/18/2022 at 5:29 PM, arkaik said:

-

Unfortunately Scott mentions that the method in his video is not appropriate for low-thrust spacecraft (TWR<0.3)  which is an issue with some of the very low-thrust engines in the mod. Maybe someday someone will make a mechjeb plugin that can plot such trajectories, and maybe even spiral climbs.

Update: I’ve had some good results just using mechjeb porkchop plots and basically following those maneuvers, using node splitter to perform the initial ejection. TWP should work as well but it seems to have issues computing transfers north of 20-30 km/s dV.

Edited by Hoddd9000

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, dlrk said:

It seems like the PK-DUST-S regolith extractor doesn't actually need anything than electric as an input. Is this intended?

Yeah it's not an ore converter, it acts like a drill, and requires there to be LqdHe3 at it's location to mine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@Nertea Think, I found a bug:

The two regolith harvesters do not produce system heat heat when they run. (I may have found the reason. The config says: GeneratesHeat = false ... but I am not sure, if this is the right switch - you know your SH backend better) Or is it intentional? The ingame tooltip describes them as systemheat participants.

• 1 month later...
On 5/23/2022 at 5:19 AM, cinemagic said:

Thanks very much. I'll give it a try.

In fact, I get quite confused why cannot just let the beautiful cryo tank mod from same author handle deuterium and helium, by physics it is completely ok.

I was just going to come here to say this. Why no patch to let the cryo tanks hold fusion fuels? The visual styling is exactly the same - particularly the isohedral skin.

Hello!

I've just downloaded the game today, but upon trying to download the mod using CKAN it gives me a message to the effect of "This mod requires SpaceDust which is not supported by this version"

Is there a fix for this particular issue? Thanks in advance for any advice you all can give!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...