Jump to content

[1.12.x] Far Future Technologies - August 23: new engine!


Nertea
 Share

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, CDSlice said:

No you can not, FFT is built around SystemHeat and will simply not function if you don’t have it. Although I do understand the pain of it breaking already existing crafts, at least for me it is much easier to build my crafts with SystemHeat than the stock heating system so I do highly recommend learning how to use it. 

so true, before I just slapped on inordinate amount of radiators but now I know how many to use

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any chance of bigger fuel tanks/some kind of tweak scale? Really struggling to build large craft due to part count constraints from the amount of fuel tank constraints. If not, I can just tweak some configs. Trying to go interstellar in GU but struggling to get the few millions of DV required to get there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/24/2021 at 12:06 AM, ChainiaC said:

Any chance of looking into the mysterious case of the negative funds fusion tank recovery I mentioned earlier? Or would it be better if I reported a github issue?

Stock KSP issue. I've been told KSP Recall fixes it but I'm never sure what kind of other side effects that one has. 

On 5/25/2021 at 4:08 PM, "Our Benefactors" said:

Any chance of bigger fuel tanks/some kind of tweak scale? Really struggling to build large craft due to part count constraints from the amount of fuel tank constraints. If not, I can just tweak some configs. Trying to go interstellar in GU but struggling to get the few millions of DV required to get there.

No plans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Nertea said:

Stock KSP issue. I've been told KSP Recall fixes it but I'm never sure what kind of other side effects that one has. 

Ah, thanks for clearing that up, and for the suggestion of trying KSP Recall! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Nyarlathotep- said:

Im wondering if this isnt compatible with KSPI-E in that they cant be used at the same time, or that they simply dont interact.

I don't think they interact at all, so I think you can use them together. Although, KSPI-E has more suitable engines/drives for interstellar trips, and Far Future Tech has more realistic engines/drives

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Naeth Kerman said:

I don't think they interact at all, so I think you can use them together. Although, KSPI-E has more suitable engines/drives for interstellar trips, and Far Future Tech has more realistic engines/drives

I personally would think Far Future's engines would be great for interplanetary missions and maybe early interstellar missions with KSPI-E's interstellar engines/drives being later options, but to be fair, I havent actually been able to use this yet as a result of my computer being a bit weak so my thinking could be wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nyarlathotep- said:

I personally would think Far Future's engines would be great for interplanetary missions and maybe early interstellar missions with KSPI-E's interstellar engines/drives being later options, but to be fair, I havent actually been able to use this yet as a result of my computer being a bit weak so my thinking could be wrong.

some engines from FFT, like the frisbee, Z-pinch, the Gas mirror,... are capable of going intersellar, though it takes many years to get to another star

but the frisbee and the Z-pinch in particular are ultra OP and you should be capable to go to another star with them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First time playing through the mod and I have a balance question: the Discovery fusion engine and Asimov fission fragment engine are at the same tech level (on CTT). They have similar masses and heat production. The Asimov produces more thrust at roughly three times the ISP. Is there a reason to go with the fusion engine that I’m missing? Is it a refuelability thing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, OldSedan said:

First time playing through the mod and I have a balance question: the Discovery fusion engine and Asimov fission fragment engine are at the same tech level (on CTT). They have similar masses and heat production. The Asimov produces more thrust at roughly three times the ISP. Is there a reason to go with the fusion engine that I’m missing? Is it a refuelability thing?

The fuel being lighter strikes me as an obvious reason to use the fusion engine over fission.

Edited by Nyarlathotep-
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Nyarlathotep- said:

The fuel being lighter strikes me as an obvious reason to use the fusion engine over fission.

Yeah that’s what I would have expected since nuclear engines generally have more thrust and worse fuel efficiency, but the Asimov has an ISP of 45000 even on high thrust mode while the Discovery only gets you 17900 ISP on its high efficiency mode. I just looked again and the heat output is significantly more with the Asimov so I suppose you suffer a bit in radiator mass but I dunno man seems like a pretty easy choice. That said it’s the top tier nuclear engine vs only the second tier fusion engine so I guess it’s nice to get some benefit for spending the extra science on what would otherwise be a dead end.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/12/2021 at 9:28 PM, OldSedan said:

Yeah that’s what I would have expected since nuclear engines generally have more thrust and worse fuel efficiency, but the Asimov has an ISP of 45000 even on high thrust mode while the Discovery only gets you 17900 ISP on its high efficiency mode. I just looked again and the heat output is significantly more with the Asimov so I suppose you suffer a bit in radiator mass but I dunno man seems like a pretty easy choice. That said it’s the top tier nuclear engine vs only the second tier fusion engine so I guess it’s nice to get some benefit for spending the extra science on what would otherwise be a dead end.

It's definitely a strong engine. The Discovery does have a few nice features

  • 500 kW of constant power (vs 150 kW of power only when the engine is on)
  • Ability to go up a bit more in thrust as needed
  • As you mentioned, lower heat generation

Always happy to look at issues but I should note that I intended the Discovery to be very generalist - it has everything but nothing particularly well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow. Congrats on the exposure.

I did enjoy this remark from one of the other interviewees:
“If it works in Kerbal, then it has a good chance of working in real life.”

Yes yes, if only we had the benefit of designing real life rocket parts with .cfgs 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...