[1.12.x] Far Future Technologies - August 23: new engine!

Nertea

2 hours ago, Space Nerd said:

What's the fission torch?

There's no true fission torch in the mod. The closest thing to that would be the nuclear salt water rocket. The three true torches are the Fresnel mirror-cell fusion engine (the entry-level torch), the Cascade axial-flow z-pinch fusion engine, and the Frisbee beam-core antimatter annihilation engine. Those three are hilariously strong because balance is a relative concept when dealing torch drives.

On 12/27/2020 at 1:33 PM, Space Nerd said:

But @Nertea said there is a fission torch an @lemon cup said Fresnel isn't quite at torch level.

I'm certainly not the authority (:)) but according to Project Rho, it would not quite meet the criteria, and that's also kinda alluded-to in the entry for the theoretical mirror-cell linear fusion drive, which is what the Fresnel is based on. 

Though being classified as a torch also depends on the ship, and has a lot to do with the payload mass and where you want to go. By that metric, the Asimov FFRE can pack a lot of fissionable tanks and get very close to torch-level performance with a light payload, so I can see it maybe being called a fission torch.

Edited by lemon cup

@Nertea:

Congrats for the release, I was waiting for it, a very welcome Christmas present.

Anyway: these may or may not be bugs, but:

- the NTR-002 Radial Fissionables Tank attaches a little off-center, even if its center of mass seems perfectly centered: just a cosmetic thing, as the other radial fissionables tanks attach 'correctly'.

- the radial fissionables tanks (NTR-002 and NTR-001) have a lot better fuel/mass ratio than the in-line ones; for example the NTR-002 weights full loaded (4000 NSW units) 6,3 tons, empty mass 2,1 tons: the NTS-003 inline weights full loaded 16,8 tons, but contains 'just' 8000 NSW units and has an empty mass of 8,4 tons

- the small radial fissionables tank (2000 NSW) has the same name, NTR-002, as the medium one (4000 NSW). Ok, this is just nitpicking...

3 hours ago, Terensky said:

@Nertea:

Congrats for the release, I was waiting for it, a very welcome Christmas present.

Anyway: these may or may not be bugs, but:

- the NTR-002 Radial Fissionables Tank attaches a little off-center, even if its center of mass seems perfectly centered: just a cosmetic thing, as the other radial fissionables tanks attach 'correctly'.

- the radial fissionables tanks (NTR-002 and NTR-001) have a lot better fuel/mass ratio than the in-line ones; for example the NTR-002 weights full loaded (4000 NSW units) 6,3 tons, empty mass 2,1 tons: the NTS-003 inline weights full loaded 16,8 tons, but contains 'just' 8000 NSW units and has an empty mass of 8,4 tons

- the small radial fissionables tank (2000 NSW) has the same name, NTR-002, as the medium one (4000 NSW). Ok, this is just nitpicking...

Thanks, I'll resolve those in the next release. 

Does this just stack neatly on top of all your existing mods as they were? Ok, that's a slightly awkward way of putting it, but what I'm trying to say is would it work to install this on a decently progressed save, whether smoothly or a little bit janky (lots of mods, though a large percentage are yours anyway, but compatibility with other mods is a separate issue that I'm not really worried about. I largely assume if a mod works with all your mods at once, it will most likely play nice with this one), or would it be more advisable to start a new save for it?

Either way, thank you, this is pretty damn exciting. You are killing it as always; the amount of awesome you have contributed to KSP and the community is just ridiculous.

I must apologize, it's just the NTS-003 that's off, the NTS-001 and NTS-002 are consistent with the radial tanks.

@Nertea regarding the Nuclear Salt Water Tanks, The model look perfect, however the amount of stored Nuclear Salt Water doesn't make a lot of sense

0XJ3T9h.png

This 2.5m model can currently hold 16000 Liter of NSW, but this would only be true if the entire volume would be available for storage which we can clearly  see is not the case here. Looking at the model I esimate it can only contain 4000 - 8000 Liter of NSW, which is significantly less than 16000 L. For Comparison, in IFS I have a similary sizde tank which can store only 5000 L of NSW.

Edited by FreeThinker

5 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

@Nertea regarding the Nuclear Salt Water Tanks, The model look perfect, however the amount of stored Nuclear Salt Water doesn't make a lot of sense

0XJ3T9h.png

This 2.5m model can currently hold 16000 Liter of NSW, but this would only be true if the entire volume would be available for storage which we can clearly  see is not the case here. Looking at the model I esimate it can only contain 4000 - 8000 Liter of NSW, which is significantly less than 16000 L. For Comparison, in IFS I have a similary sizde tank which can store only 5000 L of NSW.

I think we've had this discussion before, I'll reply with my canned reply: I always baseline tank volume on envelope volume instead of looking at the exact design of the tank.

7 hours ago, modus said:

Looks very cool, as always. 

What will the effect be (especially from waterfall and space dust?), both on my graphics card and ram-wise? Using a potato...

This mod is hefty in terms of RAM. Space Dust is probably not much of a factor, it doesn't have a lot of code or assets. Waterfall is more performant than stock particles, so that should improve things. 

On 12/29/2020 at 12:22 AM, GigFiz said:

Does this just stack neatly on top of all your existing mods as they were?

You can install FFT and its dependencies without conflict. If you want Near Future Electrical and Kerbal Atomics parts to work the same way as FFT parts do with SystemHeat, SystemHeat has optional patches for NFE and KA, but ships you have already in flight with fission reactors and engines may break (e.g. for not having enough radiators). So, it's safe unless you want a more cohesive integration with SystemHeat and the older mods.

On 12/27/2020 at 5:03 AM, Space Nerd said:

But @Nertea said there is a fission torch an @lemon cup said Fresnel isn't quite at torch level.

the antimatter torch is the frisbee, the fusion is the Cascade Z-Pinch, and the fission torch is the Heinlein NSWR rocket (It's more of a literal torch as it shoots out a constant stream of nuclear death)