Landing With MechJeb

I am sure this has been asked before, but I can't find it here.  I'm also sure the answer is in the MJ wiki, but that reads like Japanese stereo instructions.  So, I'm here to ask how to use MJ to land.  Specifically:

1. What node on the tech tree is required to use MJ to land, AND
  2. What function in the MJ window do you click on to land, AND
  3. What parameters/options need to be set to land with MJ.

I have landed twice by myself, but I spent all day today crashing sideways into the Mun.  I love the visual data MJ provides, such as true altitude and surface speed, but I keep hearing people say they use MJ to land and plan transfers.  I'm not up to planet transfers yet, but landing I need help with.

So, how do I use MJ to its full potential here?

There is an old post on Steam that showed when the various utilities became active in career mode https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=193177293 (might be a littler out of date now)

You need to use the Landing Guidance module (see the related wiki page https://github.com/MuMech/MechJeb2/wiki/Landing-Guidance )

1. Pick a spot on the map, or enter coordinates
  2. Add options if you require them (gear, parachutes, staging options, etc. )
  3. Press land at target.
  4. avoid kraken
  5. ... ...
  6. $Profit

14 minutes ago, Popestar said:

Once I do that, how does it trigger?  Automatically?  Button press?  Sacrifice to the Kerbal gods?  Do I have to save the script?

Forget the "Scripting Module" window.
Caerfinon already told you:
You can "Land Somewhere" button, or

2 hours ago, Caerfinon said:
  • Pick a spot on the map, or enter coordinates
  • Add options if you require them (gear, parachutes, staging options, etc. )
  • Press land at target.
Edited by antipro

@antipro

And as I pointed out, that requires Unmanned Tech, which is at least 460 science points away.  If I can use scripting, that's great.  I just need to know how to trigger it.  Either that or I go back to manually trying.

Edited by Popestar

15 minutes ago, Popestar said:

Either that or I go back to manually trying

Or do some creative editing...

Open up \GameData\MechJeb2\Parts\MechJeb2_AR202\part.cfg in notepad and replace every instance of "unlockTechs =" and "TechRequired =" from whatever they are currently to these;

TechRequired = start

unlockTechs = start

On your next repload all mechJeb2 functions will be available.

Edit: make a backup of the original file. safety first.

Edited by Caerfinon

20 minutes ago, Popestar said:

If I can use scripting, that's great.  I just need to know how to trigger it.

Not sure if I've understood what you mean.
How to show the "Scripting Module" window?
Open MJ main menu, then hit "Scripting Module", as the 1st ss I've uploaded shows.

7 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

Or do some creative editing...

Open up \GameData\MechJeb2\Parts\MechJeb2_AR202\part.cfg in notepad and replace every instance of "unlockTechs =" and "TechRequired =" from whatever they are currently to these;

TechRequired = start

unlockTechs = start

On your next repload all mechJeb2 functions will be available.

Edit: make a backup of the original file. safety first.

Yeah, I'd rather not do that.  I want this career to be as clean as possible. 

7 hours ago, antipro said:

Not sure if I've understood what you mean.
How to show the "Scripting Module" window?
Open MJ main menu, then hit "Scripting Module", as the 1st ss I've uploaded shows.

No, I mean how does the script get executed once it's written.  After I open the window and enter the parameters and such, what do I have to do to get the landing sequence to be done?  I don't see a button press in your images to tell the game "Hey, execute this".

1 hour ago, Popestar said:

No, I mean how does the script get executed once it's written.  After I open the window and enter the parameters and such, what do I have to do to get the landing sequence to be done?  I don't see a button press in your images to tell the game "Hey, execute this".

you do not need to execute any script, you asked for "Landing Guidance".
I said "forget Scripting Module window", however the script module works like this:

mj%20scripting%20module.jpg?dl=1

Already explained some time ago in this thread you started:

About Landing Guidance, I don't really know how else to explain it.

landing%20guidance%202.jpg?dl=1

Edited by antipro

@antipro

My original question was "How do I land using MechJeb".  The answer was "Use Landing Guidance".  To which I responded "That's not available yet, so I'll have to do it manually until I get it".  You then came in with this scripting window stuff, and your answer wasn't entirely stated.  So I asked you for clarification.  It's kind of that simple.

Anyhow, I'll try scripting because, AS I'VE STATED MULTIPLE TIMES ALREADY, I don't have Landing Guidance available to me yet.  If that doesn't work, I'll have to land manually until it's available.

59 minutes ago, Popestar said:

Anyhow, I'll try scripting because, AS I'VE STATED MULTIPLE TIMES ALREADY, I don't have Landing Guidance available to me yet.  If that doesn't work, I'll have to land manually until it's available.

apart that writing in capital letters is equivalent to shouting, if you want to remark something you can bold it or underline it, you still can't get the point:
even if you have not yet unlocked the Unmanned Tech(
or any other tech), you can still use the Landing Guidance feature(or any other MJ feature),
by
using the Scripting Module only to open its window.

Edited by antipro

37 minutes ago, antipro said:

apart that writing in capital letters is equivalent to shouting, if you want to remark something you can bold it or underline it, you still can't get the point:
even if you have not yet unlocked the Unmanned Tech(
or any other tech), you can still use the Landing Guidance feature(or any other MJ feature),
by
using the Scripting Module only to open its window.

Dude, you aren't understanding what I'm saying.  I don't know if it's because you aren't reading what I'm writing, or you think I'm not hearing you.  Either way:

1. I asked, simply, how to use MJ to land.
  2. Someone replied to use the Landing Guidance.
  3. I asked when that would be unlocked.
  4. Someone gave me a link to the MJ wiki.
  5. I looked it up and identified that I was at least 460 science points away from unlocking it.
  6. You came in and mentioned scripting.  While you gave how to open the scripting thing and what to set, you did NOT state how to trigger the script.
  7. I asked you how to trigger the script.
  8. You stated to ignore scripting and use the Landing Guidance.
  9. I repeated that I didn't have that unlocked yet, and asked if you could clarify how to trigger the script.
  10. You got bent out of shape and repeated how to use scripting.

What about this sequence are you not getting?

As far as this situation goes, I've gotten my answer.  I figured out how to use scripting, and how to trigger/execute the script.  Topic is resolved and closed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.