Jump to content

New update is too restrictive with construction.


Recommended Posts

I don't about anyone else but I hate when I visit other planets and moons (especially low gravity ones) and realize I am unable place half the parts I brought with me because they are "too heavy".  Recently I planned on fixing a ship I had on Minmus because It had a part that somehow blocked the escape hatch. I disassembled all of the parts surrounding it then realized the part inside the craft couldn't be taken out. This made sense, thankfully I brought an external seat that I could potentially use to transfer the kerbal in the cockpit. Pretty sure that doesn't actually work but I tried anyway. When I try however to take the seat out of container it wouldn't let me place it despite Minmus's extremely low gravity. It really sucks because I would love to be able to build small rockets off of low gravity moons but I can't because I guess I can only do that in space. Imo what I am able to place should depend on the gravity of the planet or moon (idk if this is already true and I just haven't tried every planet but I have tried contruction on Eve, Minmus and alot in space. I really love the idea of this update but hate this one restriction, it really kills the fun in building.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you trying to transfer the item to the Kerbal's inventory first? Kerbal inventories are extremely restrictive, but while you are in EVA construction mode, items do not need to pass through the inventory, just take it from its storage and place it straight on the vessel. I know I have handled much larger items than a command seat on both Minmus and Mun surfaces.

Although I do agree to an extent, I think the worst effect of the update is that you can no longer carry a deployable science unit (breaking ground parts) and your jetpack at the same time. The jetpack takes up so much inventory space that most items that you CAN hold preclude you from having the jetpack equipped. I would rather have one inventory slot than two that effectively functions as one.

Edited by quazarz
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, quazarz said:

you can no longer carry a deployable science unit (breaking ground parts) and your jetpack at the same time. The jetpack takes up so much inventory space that most items that you CAN hold preclude you from having the jetpack equipped.

Well that needs to be tweaked. I ain't walking for 5 minutes on the Mun with deployable science part only because I landed too far from the base and my fuel budget is too tight to risk a hop.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2020 at 11:23 AM, quazarz said:

Are you trying to transfer the item to the Kerbal's inventory first? Kerbal inventories are extremely restrictive, but while you are in EVA construction mode, items do not need to pass through the inventory, just take it from its storage and place it straight on the vessel. I know I have handled much larger items than a command seat on both Minmus and Mun surfaces.

Although I do agree to an extent, I think the worst effect of the update is that you can no longer carry a deployable science unit (breaking ground parts) and your jetpack at the same time. The jetpack takes up so much inventory space that most items that you CAN hold preclude you from having the jetpack equipped. I would rather have one inventory slot than two that effectively functions as one.

Maybe kerbals could become encumbered if over the weight limit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2020 at 11:07 PM, The Aziz said:

Well that needs to be tweaked. I ain't walking for 5 minutes on the Mun with deployable science part only because I landed too far from the base and my fuel budget is too tight to risk a hop.

I always take rovers for just this reason.  also I know my landing accuracy is not great, so the chances of me only having a 5 minute walk are slim at best.

I'm not saying the 'new functionality' is perfect, but for the most part I think it's pretty good.  The problems for me stem from unfamiliarity and just getting used to having it.

Edited by pandaman
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2020 at 8:41 AM, GrapeInvaders said:

I disassembled all of the parts surrounding it then realized the part inside the craft couldn't be taken out.

Try to aim camera on something near this part and zoom to see throu parts.

On 12/30/2020 at 8:41 AM, GrapeInvaders said:

This made sense, thankfully I brought an external seat that I could potentially use to transfer the kerbal in the cockpit.

Try transfer crew - EVA.

On 12/30/2020 at 8:41 AM, GrapeInvaders said:

When I try however to take the seat out of container it wouldn't let me place it despite Minmus's extremely low gravity.

You can move seats even on Mun. Should work on Minmus.

On 12/30/2020 at 8:41 AM, GrapeInvaders said:

I guess I can only do that in space.

No - You can asmeble rocket (more or less) on da Mun.

20 hours ago, RX2000 said:

I dont usually even put ladders on my landers. I just jetpack up & down

Try on Eve^^

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My big problem is so many parts I just can't grab. You all talk about external command seats but when I'm in construction mode I simply can't take one off a ship. I don't know if it's too heavy, if command parts are just not able to be moved, if it's a bug, or what. It's just. not. green. and. clicking. it. does. nothing.

IMO if you're in orbit you should be able to do 90% or more of what's capable in the VAB.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...