How to set up surface experiments in 1.11?

So how do you go about setting up the experiments in 1.11? Before, you could just select them from your Kerbal's backpack, & then click the arrow to set them down, & they would turn on. I just tried that now with a solar panel (had an engineer pop it down) but it doesnt open or turn on? Same if I try to get my scientist to put down a control station (but obviously that doesnt want to work because the power isnt coming on.....) What gives?

It still works the same way, it's just that sometimes... it doesn't actually work.  If you use the EVA build mode to put them down, it really messes them up and they'll never deploy even though you put them down correctly otherwise.  To be safe, grab them from a ship's inventory and deploy them without putting them in your Kerbal's inventory or using EVA build mode.

EDIT: If you have a deployed science module that is stuck permanently in inactive mode, you can fix it via save editing.  Find the part in question, and go down to its ModuleAnimationGroup section, then set isEnabled and isDeployed to True instead of False.  You'll also need to set isEnabled in the section directly above this for each deployed ground science to True too.

Edited by SkyRender

Yea the deployment of science experiments is a mess at the moment. 

You have to open the craft/storage inventory and move the experiment to the Kerbal's backpack. Close the storage. Open the backpack and click on the little white symbol in the corner of the stored experiment and you can then finally place the experiment. Completely unintuitive. 

Also buggy because, as said above, sometimes experiments placed on the surface cannot be picked up or deployed. 

The whole thing needs a re-work. 

Ok good so its not just me. I hope they get it patched soon.

8 hours ago, Foxster said:

You have to open the craft/storage inventory and move the experiment to the Kerbal's backpack. Close the storage. Open the backpack and click on the little white symbol in the corner of the stored experiment and you can then finally place the experiment. Completely unintuitive. 

That's not good tho because experiments cant fit in their inventory with an EVA pack.

9 minutes ago, RX2000 said:

That's not good tho because experiments cant fit in their inventory with an EVA pack.

You can swap them by placing the experiment on top of the EVA pack in inventory. Then put the pack in the ship (or wherever) place the experiment, and then put the pack back on.

I've not tried it but you could probably just drop the pack on the ground.

8 hours ago, Foxster said:

Completely unintuitive. 

I found it pretty intuitive, but I deployed the experiments a lot before this so it made sense to me that it would work the same way it did before.

• 2 months later...

Yeah, this is not intuitive. :cry:

I could figure out on my own how to place the experiments on mun ground in iMode, but that did nothing.
That would have been the intuitive way for me to do it, given how we now have the building mode.

Only from this thread realized I need to store (and have storage space for) both parachute and jetpack,
and only then can I move the experiments on kerbals inventory, slowly, one by one.

Now there's two separate systems for inventory management and stuff deployment, 
something only works in iMode and something only works out of it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.