EVA construction using node attachment is dependent only on distance from root part (It shouldn't be)

Dman Revolution

So after messing around all night, I've noticed that the node attachment system for the EVA construction doesn't work once the kerbal is beyond a certain distance from the root part. Even if said kerbal is right next to the part you want to attach too, if the kerbal is too far from the root it wont work.

I tested by:

translating a docking port close to the root with kerbal near root, node attach worked

translating a docking port far away from the root with kerbal near root, node attach showed up but couldnt reach with the part (as it probably should be)

translating a docking port close to root with kerbal far from root, node attach didnt work (as expected)

translating a docking port far away from the root with kerbal far from the root (right next to the part), node attach didnt show up or work

I'd like to see this fixed, as it makes construction in the payload bay of my shuttle near impossible

How far away do you have to be to trigger the issue? I've just been doing EVA construction on what I consider to be a large ship - almost 47 metres long - with the root part up at the front, and I'm able to glide along it and tweak parts right to the other end.

I've used it quite a bit, and to me it seems linked to how far 'stuff is from the kerbal.  As I move along the vessel (in 'construction ' mode) things glow green when I get close and fade out as I move further away.

On 1/3/2021 at 8:51 PM, pandaman said:

I've used it quite a bit, and to me it seems linked to how far 'stuff is from the kerbal.  As I move along the vessel (in 'construction ' mode) things glow green when I get close and fade out as I move further away.

Nah I can confirm this. 

On 1/1/2021 at 12:23 PM, Dman Revolution said:

So after messing around all night, I've noticed that the node attachment system for the EVA construction doesn't work once the kerbal is beyond a certain distance from the root part.

Mee too. I feel raped.

But it is reasonable - without flat floor and envirmoment for measuring big parts as in VAB there is no reason to make this area bigger. Let say it would be hard to measure on site.

On 1/1/2021 at 12:23 PM, Dman Revolution said:

Even if said kerbal is right next to the part you want to attach too, if the kerbal is too far from the root it wont work.

It works, You just cant use node. But You can use surface and move the part. There are also docking ports and struts to connect it after docking and there is KIS/KAS. I build some rockets from scrap parts on site.

@Dman RevolutionAaahhh,  sorry I misunderstood (as in didn't read it properly) your original point.  You were talking specifically about the 'node' attachment, not the surface attachment.

That would explain  why I attached something and it worked (I stuck a girder into an asteroid, then attached a docking port to the end).  I then did exactly the same thing in a different location and it wouldn't attach the docking port.  Thought it was a bit odd, but assumed it was me.

11 hours ago, vv3k70r said:

Mee too. I feel raped.

But it is reasonable - without flat floor and envirmoment for measuring big parts as in VAB there is no reason to make this area bigger. Let say it would be hard to measure on site.

It works, You just cant use node. But You can use surface and move the part. There are also docking ports and struts to connect it after docking and there is KIS/KAS. I build some rockets from scrap parts on site.

It just really sucks when I have a kerbal strapped to a robotic arm trying to build a satellite in my shuttle's payload bay and I cant attach small engines that cant be surface attached

56 minutes ago, Dman Revolution said:

It just really sucks when I have a kerbal strapped to a robotic arm trying to build a satellite in my shuttle's payload bay and I cant attach small engines that cant be surface attached

Build outside? Not connected to shuttle?

Edited by vv3k70r

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.