(Reboot again) Quest for Hypersonic challenge

1 hour ago, Kerminator K-100 said:

oh yeah, editing the .cfg files to make the parts weigh less or be more heat resistant or give you an unfair advantage is against the rules. I'm not saying you did this (I know that you know how to ed

No, I don't cheat at challenges, what would be the point? If you don't beat it using stock then it wouldn't be a challenge. When I do reconfig I try to be realistic. The scam jet I configed to use on my Sr71 Blackbird is purposely restricted to cut out around mach 6 , though I have managed to get Sr71 up to mach 7 with use of gravity. That and the creation of a nosecone active radiator. Just like the panel, it requires electric charge to operate and has the efficiency of the large panel, just as a nosecone. If I had configed something up for this I wouldn't have spent the last 3 hours trying over and over again to get up there. Still haven't done as well as I did with the earlier light model I posted before. Retro Future's pulse jet comes configed in the mod with the ability to throw a plane in to Kerbol Orbit so obviously no mod packs. The scramjet I made is realistic. It is feeble at sea level and only starts gain strength after mach 2 and above 18000m. So you have to be patient or use another engine to get up there first.

Nope, all above board and maddeningly frustrating. :)

1 hour ago, ColdJ said:

No, I don't cheat at challenges, what would be the point? If you don't beat it using stock then it wouldn't be a challenge. When I do reconfig I try to be realistic. The scam jet I configed to use on my Sr71 Blackbird is purposely restricted to cut out around mach 6 , though I have managed to get Sr71 up to mach 7 with use of gravity. That and the creation of a nosecone active radiator. Just like the panel, it requires electric charge to operate and has the efficiency of the large panel, just as a nosecone. If I had configed something up for this I wouldn't have spent the last 3 hours trying over and over again to get up there. Still haven't done as well as I did with the earlier light model I posted before. Retro Future's pulse jet comes configed in the mod with the ability to throw a plane in to Kerbol Orbit so obviously no mod packs. The scramjet I made is realistic. It is feeble at sea level and only starts gain strength after mach 2 and above 18000m. So you have to be patient or use another engine to get up there first.

Nope, all above board and maddeningly frustrating. :)

Alright, I wasn't trying to accuse you of cheating, I just noticed a loophole in the rules and wanted to fix that:D, good luck with your hypersonic flight!

Don't get discouraged either, it took me at least 3 days, and 10 different craft before I got it, and even then it was barely over 3000

2 hours ago, Kerminator K-100 said:

Don't get discouraged either, it took me at least 3 days, and 10 different craft before I got it, and even then it was barely over 3000

Ok, well 3783.7 is the fastest recorded so far before first the nose shockcone explodes from heat stress. Then even though I have 2 radiator panels on it the right lower nacelle goes next. This generally leaves me in a flat spin. The only thing with a higher tolerance that would fit is a heat sheild, but it's angular drag seriously lowers performance, I am going to try the NCS. It has the same heat tolerance but I can attach radiators to it.

Bg0Uyie.pngX0Uvfdp.png1j7i20X.png

Edited by ColdJ

12 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

The only thing with a higher tolerance that would fit is a heat shield, but it's angular drag seriously lowers performance

Put a nose cone on it, then offset the nosecone inside the hull

That gets rid of the drag

Edited by Admiral Fluffy

22 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

Ok, well 3783.7 is the fastest recorded so far before first the nose shockcone explodes from heat stress. Then even though I have 2 radiator panels on it the right lower nacelle goes next. This generally leaves me in a flat spin. The only thing with a higher tolerance that would fit is a heat sheild, but it's angular drag seriously lowers performance, I am going to try the NCS. It has the same heat tolerance but I can attach radiators to it.

Nice! I'm guessing this is the Hermes class

Here is your badge and I added you to the leaderboard!

sSpHENRm.png

58 minutes ago, Kerminator K-100 said:

Nice! I'm guessing this is the Hermes class

Yep Hermes, took off from KSC runway and if it wasn't a 1 way trip I could have landed.

So good news and bad news.

Good news, my new model doesn't explode and has just enough left in the tank to land.
Bad news, this 1 tops out at, 3370 and it is a 1 way trip. Popped it on KerbalX for you to try. Turns out no nose is good nose.

https://kerbalx.com/ColdJ/Tantive-13

Spoiler

zHXtxeN.png

4xqda96.png

LMUJuI6.png

DBYAYn0.png

qeaKYFn.png

16 hours ago, ColdJ said:

Bad news, this 1 tops out at, 3370 and it is a 1 way trip. Popped it on KerbalX for you to try. Turns out no nose is good nose.

Really? Would have thought a nose makes it more aerodynamic

Also your bade seems to have some strange stuff on it. I'll give you a link to the original badge, maybe that will work better

https://imgur.com/sSpHENR

3 minutes ago, Philae_Rosetta2021 said:

Just a quick question. How do you put your badges under your posts?

1 minute ago, Admiral Fluffy said:

Click on your profile, then go to account settings, then go to signature

^this

then just add the badge to your post by copying the picture and pasting in the box. You may need to resize it by holding ctrl and right clicking the picture. If it doesn't work the first time than just do it again.

You can also copy the link to your post and paste it in the link section, this gives the challenge a bit more visibility and let people see your craft.

Hi @Kerminator K-100 Tried something different. I so want to break 4000m/s. a few more tweaks needed. Please update my Hermes position to 3,932m/s.

https://kerbalx.com/ColdJ/Smalantive

qb4m8vf.png

The flight data is faster than my finger reaction.

E9bEAoA.png

33 minutes ago, Kerminator K-100 said:

Also your bade seems to have some strange stuff on it. I'll give you a link to the original badge, maybe that will work better

I didn't know about the resize trick so I shrunk it on my pc. What kind of strange stuff. It  seems normal here?

Seems I fluked fixing it, should be right now.

1 hour ago, ColdJ said:

Hi @Kerminator K-100 Tried something different. I so want to break 4000m/s. a few more tweaks needed. Please update my Hermes position to 3,932m/s.

Almost!:D

You should try beating the unmanned record after getting first on manned, its really high so good luck!

1 hour ago, ColdJ said:

I didn't know about the resize trick so I shrunk it on my pc. What kind of strange stuff. It  seems normal here?

It's got white static all over it. Also it still looks like that, I think you'll need to use a new picture.

c6g9PPb.png

Its funny how many people are doing the Hermes this time. Last challenge everyone did a Waverider class.

Also no one seems to want to do the Boost Glide or Ballistic method?:sob:

2 hours ago, Kerminator K-100 said:

Also no one seems to want to do the Boost Glide or Ballistic method?

1 thing at a time. I have got to 4000m/s but sadly just as it passed 50000m, so unless you raise to 60000 I am still trying to get it under the height limit.

GxOuAPD.png

18 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

I have got to 4000m/s but sadly just as it passed 50000m, so unless you raise to 60000 I am still trying to get it under the height limit.

So close! Unfortunately 60 km has too thin of an atmosphere and it ruins the heating and drag part of the challenge. I might have given it to you but 27 m/s is way to close. Also this could set a bad precedent, with people taking screenshots too late, and getting higher scores than they should. Good luck, you're almost there so you should get it soon.

Here I am, entering in my own challenge:cool:

ATTENTION: The rules have changed since I did this run. This one does not count, see the Ballistics rules, and my next post.

Anyway, Ballistic class, which turned out to be waaaaay harder than I thought. The parts disintegrate very quickly when they smack into the atmosphere at 4000 m/s

I launched a Saturn V knock-off

037XYoO.png

I launched this straight up, less dV required and its slightly better for this purpose

Decoupling of the rocket and then much later the service stage (both out of atmo)

k484iRO.png

3MEYTo1.png

And here is the best attempt with this type of vehicle

quick pic of vehicle

zGrS1zD.png

And the record. It exploded exactly at the same time as I was taking this screenshot. I've decided that because the later screenshots show the same altitude and the speed is unchanged, that an exploded craft still counts. Nice try you cheater.

F6icHji.png

Edited by Kerminator K-100

And I'm back. Turns out putting on a heat shield will allow you to get much faster. After lots of tries, I managed to get over 6000 m/s

I also added a ton of fuel. 

Here is my new record, 6252 m/s

t9pX5kK.png

I also managed to make this one survive!

23 hours later: Which was a good thing because now this run counts

KHAXkj1.png

Edited by Kerminator K-100

Ok, my final entry in the Hermes class. Have updated the Smalantive at Kerbal X. https://kerbalx.com/ColdJ/Smalantive

Final record. 4,043m/s , gotta go and find out what that is in Mach. :)

Yay, next badge. Won't try for 5000m/s cause Hermes craft evaporate at that speed.

Please update me on the leaderboard.

X886rFd.png

1 hour ago, Kerminator K-100 said:

I also managed to make this one survive!

Hmm, Gold airbags.

Can't believe that with a 208km runup that the best I have achieved in Ballistic class is 4234.3 m/s captured. You really have to keep hitting f1 as soon as you pass 50000m Your title is safe so far. Getting the probe down safe is no problem, they slow down so fast that by the time they need a parachute it is simple.

CqwreJT.png

Okay, time to bring my game up I see. Let's go for 7000ms

Onwards and Upwards!!! (or rather, faster and more horizontal :D)

Let's try ballistic. Which reminds me, I managed to get 7200, while (trying) to get to Laythe a few months back. Pity I didn't screenshot it. (Don't ask about the lander)

Edited by Philae_Rosetta2021

Ballistic is harder than you expect it to be. Still haven't cracked 5000m/s and I am using the bullet fired from a car that is driving on a train in a vacuum method. Guess I will have start my runup from the moon. oops, I mean Mun.

Oh that generated 79.9 gees.

Edited by ColdJ

If that was for me, Thank you. It took a lot of almosts before finally getting my adjustments at speed right.

I have cracked 5000m/s on the balistic but still no where near Kerminator K-100's record, Going to have to go less straight forward as my rocket is getting way too tall.

48 minutes ago, Philae_Rosetta2021 said:

I think this will end up in a contest between the two of us eh?

Hats off to you for beating my original score, by the way. Very well done.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.