(Reboot again) Quest for Hypersonic challenge

1 minute ago, Philae_Rosetta2021 said:

I have done it. Ballistic mode at 43,000m. The results speak for themselves: 13,472m/s over land, according to the results.

https://imgur.com/a/u12nqZG

Ok, I am obviously way too mundane in my designs.
:(

Congrats.

Wow, where did you start your runup from? That is a seriously large distance. @Philae_Rosetta2021

56 minutes ago, Philae_Rosetta2021 said:

I have done it. Ballistic mode at 43,000m. The results speak for themselves: 13,472m/s over land, according to the results.

Judging from the F3 screen you boosted to a super high speed and exploded at 43 km due to overheating. Not sure how much that accomplishes the challenge

5 minutes ago, camacju said:

Judging from the F3 screen you boosted to a super high speed and exploded at 43 km due to overheating. Not sure how much that accomplishes the challenge

Wouldn't the SAS symbols at the side of the navball suggest his probe is still intact?

3 minutes ago, Philae_Rosetta2021 said:

Well, I ran all the way almost to Minmus' orbit, then when under 50km, solid boosters! all the way till i exploded. But I thought that you didn't have to stay in 1 piece to complete the challenge?

I am pretty sure Kerminator K-100 said that as long as your probe core survives it counts.

It doesn't say anything about having to keep your craft alive in the rules

2 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

I am pretty sure Kerminator K-100 said that as long as your probe core survives it counts.

I thought that it didn't say anything about keeping it alive in the rules...

42 minutes ago, Philae_Rosetta2021 said:

It doesn't say anything about having to keep your craft alive in the rules

Well, I am sure K will let you know when he is next on. I was under the impression that the probe should survive but the rest of the craft was expendable.

Who dares threaten my title!:D

@Philae_Rosetta2021 - Unfortunately I can't count your score. While testing the ballistic, I noticed that boosting up to really high altitudes results in ridiculous speeds over land. One of my results screen was 50000 m/s! What you have to do is either take a video, take lots of screenshots, or quicksave before hitting the atmosphere, because then it wipes your fastest speed, and it accurately reflects your score.

4 hours ago, camacju said:

4 hours ago, Philae_Rosetta2021 said:

4 hours ago, ColdJ said:

I didn't say anything about this but now that you guys mention it, I've decided to add this as a rule. It makes the ballistics class fit the challenge much better.

From now on Ballistics class has this restriction: You must be able to recover the probe core after the flight.

I am discounting my first run, but because I managed to survive the second run, my record still stands.

18 hours ago, ColdJ said:

Can't believe that with a 208km runup that the best I have achieved in Ballistic class is 4234.3 m/s captured. You really have to keep hitting f1 as soon as you pass 50000m Your title is safe so far. Getting the probe down safe is no problem, they slow down so fast that by the time they need a parachute it is simple.

I'll count this, but from now on I need proof that the probe survived. Nice job @ColdJ, but you'll never reach my record with those rookie runups:sticktongue:. I've actually been testing interplanetary run ups

10 hours ago, Philae_Rosetta2021 said:

Let's try ballistic. Which reminds me, I managed to get 7200, while (trying) to get to Laythe a few months back. Pity I didn't screenshot it. (Don't ask about the lander)

Did this happen on Laythe or Kerbin? Every record must be on Kerbin as Laythe and Eve have different atmospheres (they make it easier and harder, respectively)

4 hours ago, Philae_Rosetta2021 said:

solid boosters! all the way till i exploded

Be taking that design:sticktongue:

Edited by Kerminator K-100

Okay no problem. I thought that it was a bit over the mark with the speeds

I will try again and try and bring back proof of survival.

BTW, the Laythe thing was ages ago and I wasn't planning on submitting it. Just shows what interplanetary approaches can do.

I have given this some thought, and I have decided to retire from the competition. I have done much better than I expected, and I will settle for what I have done. Thank you @Kerminator K-100 for the great challenge, it was exciting and fun! 

Philae_Rosetta2021 signing out and wishing everyone a very good day!

16 hours ago, Kerminator K-100 said:

Be taking that design

Don't be in too much of a hurry for the solid booster design. They are useful for getting out of atmosphere but once you turn around and accelerate down the gravity well, staged LFO stages yield better results. Though you are way ahead of me so what do I know?  :)

2 hours ago, Philae_Rosetta2021 said:

BTW, the Laythe thing was ages ago and I wasn't planning on submitting it. Just shows what interplanetary approaches can do.

I'm actually attempting a Jool gravity slingshot:D

1 hour ago, Philae_Rosetta2021 said:

Thank you @Kerminator K-100 for the great challenge, it was exciting and fun! 

I'm glad you participated! I be sad to see you go, I was hoping for some back and forth with you and ColdJ

1 hour ago, ColdJ said:

Don't be in too much of a hurry for the solid booster design. They are useful for getting out of atmosphere but once you turn around and accelerate down the gravity well, staged LFO stages yield better results. Though you are way ahead of me so what do I know?  :)

I've only used LFO so far, but I'm testing some craft with SRBs. I get back to you on this:D

7 minutes ago, camacju said:

Stacked service bays make everything inside them completely immune to reentry heating

That is a cool trick using KSP physics. It's like the fuel tanks stacked in open service bay are buoyant while in a closed 1 they aren't but still retain their weight.

Don't bother going out of orbit for the ballistic challenge. The KSP physics engine falls apart. I went over a million kms out and accelerated down the gravity well, even aimed for a periapsis of 30,000m and at an acceleration of over 1,000 m/s I still went slower than I achieved in atmosphere. I haven't got a slide rule but I reckon accelerating at over 1,000 m/s times a million km going down a gravity well I should have killed the Dinosaurs. As it is I was able to land safely with everything including Jeb but minus the Aeroshell.

Spoiler

GoHlBzn.pngA5ONXMN.pngLGDn7m2.pngJ1zLM8Y.pngMRtQM6B.png

So I am claiming the "Played Chicken with a Planet in a manned ship and landed safely" booby prize!

Edited by ColdJ

Actually, leaving the SOI of Kerbin might be the best way to gain large amounts of speed for comparatively little delta-v. You'd need maybe 2000 m/s in low Kerbin orbit.

-Use Mun assists for an Eve transfer
-Eve and Kerbin assists to Jool
-Jool assist brings your orbit high above Kerbol
-At apoapsis reverse your orbit and bring periapsis to Kerbin
-At periapsis adjust your orbital period for a Kerbin encounter

Now you have >20 km/s of relative velocity. That's what I did for the waverider category

33 minutes ago, camacju said:

Actually, leaving the SOI of Kerbin might be the best way to gain large amounts of speed for comparatively little delta-v. You'd need maybe 2000 m/s in low Kerbin orbit.

-Use Mun assists for an Eve transfer
-Eve and Kerbin assists to Jool
-Jool assist brings your orbit high above Kerbol
-At apoapsis reverse your orbit and bring periapsis to Kerbin
-At periapsis adjust your orbital period for a Kerbin encounter

Now you have >20 km/s of relative velocity. That's what I did for the waverider category

Well apart from the Waverider class stipulating.

The waverider

• Must be under 15 tons
  • Launched from under 20 km

Which means you have to move your record to ballistic class.

How do you get the KSP speed program to acknowledge the speed?

Like I said, over a million kms out at over 1000 m/s and the program didn't reflect the figures in it's readout.

So how come yours did?

My waverider was a 15 ton nuclear rocket launched from 19 km. From there it went to orbit and did all the other things. I don't need to add it to ballistic class.

To acknowledge speed I didn't use the F3 menu because it's pretty inaccurate, I used the navball instead.

22 minutes ago, camacju said:

My waverider was a 15 ton nuclear rocket launched from 19 km. From there it went to orbit and did all the other things. I don't need to add it to ballistic class.

To acknowledge speed I didn't use the F3 menu because it's pretty inaccurate, I used the navball instead.

Sorry, your previous post said that that was what you did to get what seemed like a run up.

1 hour ago, camacju said:

So it was confusing to me.

Neither the navball or f3 reflected what I should be going at. So I am kinda stuffed for that.

1 minute ago, ColdJ said:

Sorry, your previous post said that that was what you did to get what seemed like a run up.

Sorry if I wasn't clear - I used orbital mechanics to gain more velocity than a run-up was able to give.

35 minutes ago, camacju said:

yeah the F3 menu messes up, you have to do a quicksave and quickload to get it to acknowledge your speed.

4 hours ago, ColdJ said:

I've tried some more but haven't been able to replicate my first success. My Jool slingshot entry disentigrated and my SRB test fell to the kraken. Maybe its time to move on to a new class?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.