Threads of the Month: January, 2021.

Vanamonde

Isn't it weird how the quarantine months seem to pass rapidly and slowly at the same time? Which one is this, anyway? Who remembers? Anyway, you need some stuff to do while hiding indoors, so here are some terrific threads to look at. 

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

How fast can a propeller-driven KSP aircraft go? @ralanboylewanted to find out. 

Turns out the answer is: way faster than anything I could build. 

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

New updates bring possibilities for new challenges. Is this one actually possible? I don't know but I look forward to seeing the attempts at @dnbattley's 

Spoiler alert: my attempt failed. Badly. 

@JoeKermancombines a holiday classic with our favorite game. 

A lot of work, and seasonally appropriate. :) 

And submitted just barely in time to be eligible is this absolutely astounding combination of hard work and ingenuity from @Makc_Gordon

Yeah, that's just crazy. 

And we'll close with this tidbit of fan art from forum newcomer @V14

Like a great many of us, she/he finds enjoyable commonality in KSP and Legos. Welcome to the forum, V14. :D

@adsii1970 has made us a nice new batch of badges, and I am pleased to award the first of them: ySjeJLE.png?1

Congratulations to those selected and thank you to those who submitted nominations. Keep them coming. 

On 1/2/2021 at 1:27 PM, adsii1970 said:

Congrats to all of January's winners! 

@V14 now you've caused me to want to go grab my daughter's big tote of Legos! :D

What? Your daughter has more legos than you?

How odd, I've got much more than my kids (since I've been collecting far longer )

Edited by Curveball Anders

12 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

What? Your daughter has more legos than you?

How odd, I've got much more than my kids since I've been collecting far longer )

Yes, she does. I've had two divorces and lost many of my Legos in the process. And what the divorces didn't take, an apartment fire in 2005 took care of the rest. Right now, I have the old Lego ISS set and the newer semi tractor-trailer with the shuttle on it.

512EGSLcbgL._SY300_QL70_.jpgs-l300.jpg

That's it. That's all I have. But my 10-year-old has a lot of the Jurassic Park Lego sets, the Harry Potter Lego sets, Ninjago Lego Sets, the Mars Lego sets, and now, MineCraft Lego sets.

1 hour ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Congratulations to everyone! I like the new badges!

Thank you. You can visit the thread in my signature and find even more badges... :)

On 1/1/2021 at 11:48 PM, Vanamonde said:

Isn't it weird how the quarantine months seem to pass rapidly and slowly at the same time? Which one is this, anyway? Who remembers? Anyway, you need some stuff to do while hiding indoors, so here are some terrific threads to look at. 

How fast can a propeller-driven KSP aircraft go? @ralanboylewanted to find out. 

Turns out the answer is: way faster than anything I could build. 

New updates bring possibilities for new challenges. Is this one actually possible? I don't know but I look forward to seeing the attempts at @dnbattley's 

Spoiler alert: my attempt failed. Badly. 

@JoeKermancombines a holiday classic with our favorite game. 

A lot of work, and seasonally appropriate. :) 

And submitted just barely in time to be eligible is this absolutely astounding combination of hard work and ingenuity from @Makc_Gordon

Yeah, that's just crazy. 

And we'll close with this tidbit of fan art from forum newcomer @V14

Like a great many of us, she/he finds enjoyable commonality in KSP and Legos. Welcome to the forum, V14. :D

@adsii1970 has made us a nice new batch of badges, and I am pleased to award the first of them: ySjeJLE.png?1

Congratulations to those selected and thank you to those who submitted nominations. Keep them coming. 

Yes quarantine does pass fast and slow at the same time.

• 4 months later...
On 1/3/2021 at 9:20 AM, adsii1970 said:

And what the divorces didn't take, an apartment fire in 2005 took care of the rest

Riddle: "What's the difference between a divorce and a house fire?"

"A house fire doesn't take half your salary..."  :(

OK, OK, sorry.  (And congratulations to all the January TOTM award members!)

I'm here researching the new(?) Lego ISS because a non-KSP colleague (yes, we all are blighted with them), has presented his six year-old with this Lego kit (even though it's rated 16+) and I'm trying to engineer a way for aforesaid colleague to get aforesaid six year-old hooked on KSP.

Hmm....

Too early?

Edited by Hotel26

4 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Too early?

Never. Years ago now, I've had my 5yr old niece on my lap gleefully watching me build and test-fly Kerbal contraptions, adding odd bits and ends to my rocket, because clearly they needed to be there. And helping hit the spacebar at all the right wrong interesting moments. With apparently completely hilarious results, to her.

I made her and her slightly older brother a Steam account a while ago, and added a small collection of games to it. KSP is among them.

Never too early to start playing KSP.

On 6/9/2021 at 6:48 AM, Hotel26 said:

I'm here researching the new(?) Lego ISS because a non-KSP colleague (yes, we all are blighted with them), has presented his six year-old with this Lego kit (even though it's rated 16+) and I'm trying to engineer a way for aforesaid colleague to get aforesaid six year-old hooked on KSP.

Hmm....

Too early?

Never. My daughter has been playing KSP since she was 6. She's now 10 and can rendezvous and dock better than many of the YouTubers out there. Oh, and without MechJeb! :D

20 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

And helping hit the spacebar

This brings back memories of Christmas, 2014, when my son gave me KSP.  He had been playing it with my grandson (Calvin) who was about 3 at the time, and Calvin's sole, gleeful duty was to hit the space bar at the end of the countdown.

I bet the SPH & VAB could feel pretty much like Lego to a youngster!  (Just need some guidance diagnosing what happens outside after leaving the runway or launchpad.)

Well, I'm going to give the Dad a quick demo of KSP on a laptop sometime soon.

Edited by Hotel26

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.