[1.12.*] MOAR [x] Science! - KSP Science report and checklist

linuxgurugamer

[x] Science! is a mod to provide you with information regarding what science is available and where.

Originally written by Bodrick. Great design and coding is entirely due to Bodrick, original thread here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/86568-025-x-science-v40-2014-10-24-old-thread/

Taken over by @Z-Key Aerospace, thread is here:  https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/107661-ksp-145-x-science-ksp-science-report-and-checklist-v517/

Then by @Flupster, thread is here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/182683-ksp-190-x-science-continued-ksp-science-report-and-checklist-v523/

Availability

x-science-banner.jpg

[x] Science! - A Science Report and Checklist for Kerbal Space Program

[x] Science! keeps track of the science experiments you have completed and recovered to Kerbal Space

Center. It also tracks science you have gathered which is held on vehicles and kerbals.

No matter what game scene you are in, what you current vehicle is, [x] Science! always reports on all science held anywhere.

Now with in-flight status window.  No more searching around in service bays - run experiments at the click of a button.

x-science-1.jpgx-science-2.jpgx-science-3.jpg

Why use [x] Science! ?

• In flight status window kind of like Science Alert
  • With a simple list and a textbox filter it is really easy to use.
  • Available from anywhere. No need to leave your craft and switch to the KSC Lab.
  • It reports on all science, not just the stuff you have recovered to KSC.
  • It reports on all vehicles, great for multi-craft missions. (Option to check debris for science.)
  • Report on anywhere from anywhere else. Where should you go next?
  • Wondering what to do next? Give your Kerbals a purpose.

Features

• Automatically updates when you retrieve or transmit new science experiments
  • Filter to only show experiments that are currently on your spacecraft; have been unlocked in the tech tree; or all experiments
  • Keyword search to let you find experiments quickly
  • View amount of science any experiment has left for you to find
  • Should be compatible with any science-generating mods
  • Uses stock toolbar. Blizzy's toolbar support
  • Current biome detection
  • OrbitalScience support
  • Solar Science support
  • CustomBiomes support
  • Displays amount of science you'd get if you retrieved all outstanding experiments
  • Only available in Science or Career modes. It will automatically disable itself in Sandbox mode.
  • In flight status window -  click buttons to run experiments.
  • No more searching around in service bays - run experiments at the click of a button
Edited by linuxgurugamer

19 minutes ago, Morphisor said:

Looking forward to the new version. Will this solve the compatibility issues with the latest Dmagic science?

Looks like the code is already there, but I will rely on the community to test it, I don't have time and also am not too familiar with this mod, I prefer ScienceAlert

9 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Looks like the code is already there, but I will rely on the community to test it, I don't have time and also am not too familiar with this mod, I prefer ScienceAlert

From what I remember the mod has support for an earlier version of the Dmagic modules, but conflicts with the latest DmagicScienceAnimate, causing experiments to trigger incorrectly for mods using that module, like dmagic itself, or bdb and universal storage.

9 hours ago, kerbonaut23452345 said:

I just installed the last version (6.0.0) with the dependencies, and no EVA science is listed (EVA report as well as EVA science). Both in my old save and a new save the EVA dont appear in the list (either as completed or not). It is also not listed in the here and now window.

You need to provide more details, as well as a copy of the Player.log.  More details would include KSP version, OS

14 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

You need to provide more details, as well as a copy of the Player.log.  More details would include KSP version, OS

Im on win 10, KSP 1.11.0.3045, breaking ground 1.6.0  and making history  1.11.0. I mostly have visual mods and kerbal engineer, i dont have other mods interacting with the science. Where do I find the player.log?

I already had the EVA experiments missing on the 1.11 with the 5.26 but not the eva reports. Some in the previous thread had only issue with the eva science not appearing in the here and now window. It would be good to know if I'm the only one.

1 hour ago, kerbonaut23452345 said:

Just tested it and eva reports are back, but I still dont have the EVA science. How does the mod work to get all possible science?

If you are referring to the new science experiments, this mod never had that ability, since it's new.  I will have to look into it

Edit: The robotic arm should work, but all the ground-based experiments won't since they are using a  new module, ModuleGroundExperiment.  I'll have to work that in, will take a little while, there are at least 46 places in the code that I can see right away which will need to be changed

Edited by linuxgurugamer

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

If you are referring to the new science experiments, this mod never had that ability, since it's new.  I will have to look into it

Edit: The robotic arm should work, but all the ground-based experiments won't since they are using a  new module, ModuleGroundExperiment.  I'll have to work that in, will take a little while, there are at least 46 places in the code that I can see right away which will need to be changed

My question is does the mod gets the full list of science dynamically from the game or is it written directly in the mod files? In the previous thread antipro reported that he had the eva science experiment listed in the x science window  and we had supposedly the same mod and game version.

39 minutes ago, kerbonaut23452345 said:

My question is does the mod gets the full list of science dynamically from the game or is it written directly in the mod files? In the previous thread antipro reported that he had the eva science experiment listed in the x science window  and we had supposedly the same mod and game version.

It gets the list dynamically from the game, necessary because the available science experiments can change depending on installed mods.  I'm currently testing on 1.10.1, I just tried it in 1.11 and it did show the EVA Science Experiment.  Since the EVA Science experiments uae the ModuleScienceExperiment, it should be fine.

The ground-based  experiments in Breaking Ground, however, are different, and those are what I was referring to  earlier

9 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It gets the list dynamically from the game, necessary because the available science experiments can change depending on installed mods.  I'm currently testing on 1.10.1, I just tried it in 1.11 and it did show the EVA Science Experiment.  Since the EVA Science experiments uae the ModuleScienceExperiment, it should be fine.

The ground-based  experiments in Breaking Ground, however, are different, and those are what I was referring to  earlier

I just did an integrity check of the files and there was some errors, now the EVA science experiment appear in the x science window but only with the All filter when it should be visible in the All unlocked experiments (in my old save). Didnt check on new save as you need to gather enough science to unlock the part.

Also there is eva science listed for every situation (splashed, flying high, low) when only in space and surface landed are possible. Is it an oversight from squad or am I missing something?

4 hours ago, kerbonaut23452345 said:

...Snip...

Also there is eva science listed for every situation (splashed, flying high, low) when only in space and surface landed are possible. Is it an oversight from squad or am I missing something?

Oh, it is totally possible to get that data. Easy even in most cases. Splashed at Kerbin's Oceans?  Just go for a swim. It's the landed data that's difficult from that biome...

This thread should help with the more obscure ones. You're still never going to get flying low over the Sun though. ;)

Edited by Paaaad

1 hour ago, Paaaad said:

Oh, it is totally possible to get that data. Easy even in most cases. Splashed at Kerbin's Oceans?  Just go for a swim. It's the landed data that's difficult from that biome...

This thread should help with the more obscure ones. You're still never going to get flying low over the Sun though. ;)

I tried the splashed and flying low (on a parachute) on Kerbin and got a message telling me EVA science experiment cannot be performed. I'm only talking about the new eva science introduced in 1.11 that requires the kit in the inventory. I am well aware of some rare situations being difficult to find (landed at water, splashed at mountains), as I already completed all the science on Kerbin. The only issue I didnt mention in this thread is the ROC (shores) biome that appear sometimes in the x science window, but I think this is a glitch with breaking ground dlc.

1 hour ago, kerbonaut23452345 said:

I tried the splashed and flying low (on a parachute) on Kerbin and got a message telling me EVA science experiment cannot be performed. I'm only talking about the new eva science introduced in 1.11 that requires the kit in the inventory. I am well aware of some rare situations being difficult to find (landed at water, splashed at mountains), as I already completed all the science on Kerbin. The only issue I didnt mention in this thread is the ROC (shores) biome that appear sometimes in the x science window, but I think this is a glitch with breaking ground dlc.

Ah, misunderstood that then. 

Hello,

thank you for supporting this mod.

Just installed it and got missing dependency error:

Spoiler

[WRN 22:13:32.806] AssemblyLoader: Assembly '[x]_Science!' has not met dependency 'KSP_Log' V1.0.0

After installing KSPLogger [x]_Science! loaded without issues. Just thought I let you know.

I loaded my main career save (with lots of Kerbin and Mun science done) and although [x]_Science! window opened, it did not seem to track my previously finished science. So I started new career save (default settings), performed Crew report on Launchpad and it was tracking fine. Then I switched back to my main career save and checked [x]_Science! again, now all experiments seem to be tracked fine.
After writing this, I noticed this in features, so I guess that is the reason?

On 1/3/2021 at 6:39 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Automatically updates when you retrieve or transmit new science experiments

KSP: 1.10.0.2917 x64 en-us [1.10.0 Making History] [1.5.0 Breaking Ground

5 hours ago, kerbonaut23452345 said:

only issue I didnt mention in this thread is the ROC (shores) biome that appear sometimes in the x science window, but I think this is a glitch with breaking ground dlc.

Example, please, so I can fix it

43 minutes ago, ronillon said:

Hello,

thank you for supporting this mod.

Just installed it and got missing dependency error:

Reveal hidden contents

[WRN 22:13:32.806] AssemblyLoader: Assembly '[x]_Science!' has not met dependency 'KSP_Log' V1.0.0

After installing KSPLogger [x]_Science! loaded without issues. Just thought I let you know.

I loaded my main career save (with lots of Kerbin and Mun science done) and although [x]_Science! window opened, it did not seem to track my previously finished science. So I started new career save (default settings), performed Crew report on Launchpad and it was tracking fine. Then I switched back to my main career save and checked [x]_Science! again, now all experiments seem to be tracked fine.

KSPLogger is NOT KSP_Log.  You are missing the SpaceTuxLibrary, which is where KSP_Log is found.

Note that SpaceTuxLibrary IS listed in the dependencies

Edited by linuxgurugamer

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

KSPLogger is NOT KSP_Log.  You are missing the SpaceTuxLibrary, which is where KSP_Log is found.

Note that SpaceTuxLibrary IS listed in the dependencies

Thank you for clarification.

I got following warnings in the log, so I assumed both 'KSP_Log' and 'SpaceTuxUtility' are mods and went looking for them.

Spoiler

[WRN 22:13:32.806] AssemblyLoader: Assembly '[x]_Science!' has not met dependency 'SpaceTuxUtility' V1.0.0

Looks like those are in fact names of libraries, which often correspond with names of mods (Makes sense to name the main library the same as mod now I think about it.) KSPLogger had similar enough name and you as author, so I thought that was the right thing.

My mistake, should have read the thread to full before installation.

Sorry for taking your time. But now I know more, thank you.

P.S.: Is "KSP.log" the same thing as "Player.log" ? In case I find any issues during testing and want to submit them.

1 minute ago, ronillon said:

I got following warnings in the log, so I assumed both 'KSP_Log' and 'SpaceTuxUtility' are mods and went looking for them

SpaceTuxLibrary contains several DLLs, which I combined into a single mod to make it easier for people to install.  This reduces the number of mods needed to be installed.  A reasonable assumption, but not always.

2 minutes ago, ronillon said:

My mistake, should have read the thread to full before installation.

Well, once this is released, the main way to install will be via CKAN, and that will do it automatically.

2 minutes ago, ronillon said:

P.S.: Is "KSP.log" the same thing as "Player.log" ? In case I find any issues during testing and want to submit them.

No, they are totally different.  Never hurts to include both, and in fact, if you see a Logs folder in KSP, send that entire folder in with everything else.  Some mods write their own log files in that folder.

3 minutes ago, ronillon said:

No problem, I hope the mod works well for you

These are the issues I still have with the 6.0.0.1:

1. completed science not loading immediatly

13 hours ago, ronillon said:
  Reveal hidden contents

When I first load my save, my science is not loaded (space center view) but it loads correctly when I go to the VAB, tracking station or R&D and open the window

Is this supposed to work like this?

2.  ROC (shores)

https://postimg.cc/JHZZZbBR

This uncompleted science doesnt appear when the save is just loaded (space center view). When I load a vessel with breaking grounds part (see picture)  it appears in the in the window, but it disapears when I load a vessel without any breaking ground part. If I go back to main menu when the ROC (shores) appears and reload the same save it stays listed in the window.

3. EVA science experiment only with all filter (old save with EVA science kit already unlocked)

The new eva science from 1.11 appear only with the all filter, when they should appear in the unlocked experiment. I dont know if this is also the case for new saves.

1. completed science not loading immediatly

How long did you wait?  For performance issues, it doesn't load immediately, I had to wait a little bit (seconds) before it loaded

When I first load my save, my science is not loaded (space center view) but it loads correctly when I go to the VAB, tracking station or R&D and open the window

Same thing.  How long did you wait?

This uncompleted science doesnt appear when the save is just loaded (space center view). When I load a vessel with breaking grounds part (see picture)  it appears in the in the window, but it disapears when I load a vessel without any breaking ground part. If I go back to main menu when the ROC (shores) appears and reload the same save it stays listed in the window.

I have to add a filter to block that.  ROC is special to Breaking Ground.

What did you do to get the ROC items to show?  I'm trying to replicate and can't.  If you could get me the save file, that would be helpful

The new eva science from 1.11 appear only with the all filter, when they should appear in the unlocked experiment. I dont know if this is also the case for new saves.

How do you know they are unlocked?

Edit:  I am aware that clicking on the [x] button doesn't hide the window, working on that

Edited by linuxgurugamer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.