[1.12.*] MOAR [x] Science! - KSP Science report and checklist

linuxgurugamer

15 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

So is it working other than that?

The only issues I've seen are:

1. what @Hyperspeed1313 reported above Friday for the alternate launch sites. post here I did not retest this with the latest 6.0.0.6 but since he just reported it and I saw it before and the rev history doesn't mention it, I assume it's not fixed.
  2. bubbles sound doesn't play when changing biomes. I can play "bubbles.wav" sound file directly in Windows. Log error: "[LOG 19:12:00.960] [4/20/2021 7:12:00 PM [x] Science!]: <Debug> (Noise) - No noise to play!"

KSP.log

player.log

The mod was once very good. But now. And you can make it so that the work of the mod does not require the installation of a bunch of other unnecessary mods? Which create a meaningless pile of absolutely unnecessary buttons on the toolbar.

Edited by rebel-1

20 minutes ago, rebel-1 said:

The mod was once very good. But now. And you can make it so that the work of the mod does not require the installation of a bunch of other unnecessary mods? Which create a meaningless pile of absolutely unnecessary buttons on the toolbar.

You seem to know a lot about coding, why not adopt it and maintain it yourself?

Those "other unnecessary mods" as you put it are necessary for this mod to work.  Those mods, ToolbarController, ClickThroughBlocker, SpaceTuxLibrary, contain code which is common to all of my mods, and provides functionality which no mod had before.

You are free to fork it yourself, fix bugs and maintain it, without the benefit of other people being able to help test

I don't find ToolbarController very useful since I only use the stock toolbar, but there is no question whatsoever that ClickThroughBlocker is absolutely awesome and helpful in any mod with a UI, including this one. My only gripe with it is that not all other mods use it - If I had a cent for every time I clicked through the NFT interfaces in VAB and completely messed up my design, I could already retire. 

16 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

I don't find ToolbarController very useful since I only use the stock toolbar, but there is no question whatsoever that ClickThroughBlocker is absolutely awesome and helpful in any mod with a UI, including this one. My only gripe with it is that not all other mods use it - If I had a cent for every time I clicked through the NFT interfaces in VAB and completely messed up my design, I could already retire. 

It may not be useful for you, but for me, it helps remove about 1000 lines of code from every mod I've added it in

3 hours ago, Grimmas said:

If so, I would suggest you raise this issue with the other mod authors, not LinuxGuruGamer who is trying to minimize the overhead he experiences supporting over 250+ mods.  If enough people mention it, maybe they'll include it.  The downside is that it adds dependencies to a project which some other modders try to minimize for supportability reasons.

What I was trying to do was praise him for making CTB and point out that it is decidedly NOT a waste of space, but it seems my intent was lost in translation since all you guys got out of it is 'the other mod also helps - the modder' and 'go complain to the other modders'. Sheesh.

6 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

What I was trying to do was praise him for making CTB and point out that it is decidedly NOT a waste of space, but it seems my intent was lost in translation since all you guys got out of it is 'the other mod also helps - the modder' and 'go complain to the other modders'. Sheesh.

Sometimes hard to get intent from text.  Thanks for explaining

58 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

No offense intended; I was trying to offer a suggestion that might get you what you want.  I understand your point better.  You couched your praise in-between two negatives and I misinterpreted your message.

23 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

You seem to know a lot about coding, why not adopt it and maintain it yourself?

Those "other unnecessary mods" as you put it are necessary for this mod to work.  Those mods, ToolbarController, ClickThroughBlocker, SpaceTuxLibrary, contain code which is common to all of my mods, and provides functionality which no mod had before.

You are free to fork it yourself, fix bugs and maintain it, without the benefit of other people being able to help test

But before this mod worked without additional mods. I don't see any relationship between the science mod and the interface mods.

40 minutes ago, rebel-1 said:

But before this mod worked without additional mods. I don't see any relationship between the science mod and the interface mods.

Then use the old one., and good luck with that.

The mod needed to be updated.  Part of the updates I do is to reduce code bloat, if possible.  The ClickThroughBlocker is used to prevent clicks on this window from falling through to open windows below, caveat being that it can only prevent click-through to other mods which also use the CTB.  The ToolbarController is used to simplify the internal access to the toolbar, reduce the code by about 1000 lines, and, allow you to both put the button on either the stock toolbar or the Blizzy toolbar, and to be able to hide the button if you don't want it visible.

7 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Then use the old one., and good luck with that.

The mod needed to be updated.  Part of the updates I do is to reduce code bloat, if possible.  The ClickThroughBlocker is used to prevent clicks on this window from falling through to open windows below, caveat being that it can only prevent click-through to other mods which also use the CTB.  The ToolbarController is used to simplify the internal access to the toolbar, reduce the code by about 1000 lines, and, allow you to both put the button on either the stock toolbar or the Blizzy toolbar, and to be able to hide the button if you don't want it visible.

For CTB, thank you for clarifying. And then I did not understand why he did it at all. Toolbar controller does not hide the buttons in the hangar and the space center view, and they are not moved to a folder, only copied to a new folder. And why else do you need a Zero Mini AVC? CKAN specified it in the dependencies.

14 minutes ago, rebel-1 said:

For CTB, thank you for clarifying. And then I did not understand why he did it at all. Toolbar controller does not hide the buttons in the hangar and the space center view, and they are not moved to a folder, only copied to a new folder. And why else do you need a Zero Mini AVC? CKAN specified it in the dependencies.

Click the yellow wrench, and in that dialog you can hide individual buttons, and specify which toolbar the buttons should be shown on.

ZeroMiniAVC is required because some older mods still include the old MiniAVC.dll, and having ANY of those dlls installed will break the game, so I made the ZeroMiniAVC a requirement to minimize the issues.  It runs at startup and then unloads itself.  Minimal impact and removes any potential problems

50 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Click the yellow wrench, and in that dialog you can hide individual buttons, and specify which toolbar the buttons should be shown on.

ZeroMiniAVC is required because some older mods still include the old MiniAVC.dll, and having ANY of those dlls installed will break the game, so I made the ZeroMiniAVC a requirement to minimize the issues.  It runs at startup and then unloads itself.  Minimal impact and removes any potential problems

Thank you for the clarification.

I don't know what's going on. In the dialog, you can hide only the buttons of this mod. I hide them, they don't hide. Changed the scene, came back - now all hidden together with a yellow wrench. Although I did not hide this button. I had to go to the flight scene, where the key was in the folder(the previous settings of the moved buttons were not saved). I take it out of the folder. I set some buttons to the status "Hidden in this scene" by pressing ALT on the button and selecting the desired item. I hid a few buttons like this and suddenly I lose both the key and the JC mod icon. Now I can't bring the buttons back to the toolbar. How do I do this? All the control buttons, except for CTB, just disappeared from all the menus and panels.

UPD: Reloaded the game, the TC control buttons appeared. But all the buttons of other mods that I had hidden were gone. In the menu, when you click on the TC button, they are not there, when you click on the JC mod button, nothing happens in flight. How do I get the hidden buttons back now? I can make a video of this horror.

UPD2: When changing scenes, the TC and CTB mod buttons began to multiply in double and triple copies on the panel. The wrench was completely gone.

Edited by rebel-1

16 minutes ago, rebel-1 said:

Thank you for the clarification.

I don't know what's going on. In the dialog, you can hide only the buttons of this mod. I hide them, they don't hide. Changed the scene, came back - now all hidden together with a yellow wrench. Although I did not hide this button. I had to go to the flight scene, where the key was in the folder(the previous settings of the moved buttons were not saved). I take it out of the folder. I set some buttons to the status "Hidden in this scene" by pressing ALT on the button and selecting the desired item. I hid a few buttons like this and suddenly I lose both the key and the JC mod icon. Now I can't bring the buttons back to the toolbar. How do I do this? All the control buttons, except for CTB, just disappeared from all the menus and panels.

UPD: Reloaded the game, the TC control buttons appeared. But all the buttons of other mods that I had hidden were gone. In the menu, when you click on the TC button, they are not there, when you click on the JC mod button, nothing happens in flight. How do I get the hidden buttons back now? I can make a video of this horror.

UPD2: When changing scenes, the TC and CTB mod buttons began to multiply in double and triple copies on the panel. The wrench was completely gone.

Screenshots and log file, please

Also, Janitor's Closet does NOT use this mod.  Please do NOT use JC to hide the wrench

Edited by linuxgurugamer

15 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Screenshots and log file, please

Also, Janitor's Closet does NOT use this mod.  Please do NOT use JC to hide the wrench

Spoiler

c4a25fb65b74.png80c402dc0bf2.png50066ce10e32.png

LOG https://disk.yandex.ru/d/Nx7CkDOLg2UXJQ

TC button appeared.

I didn't use it. I JC just wanted to hide the mod buttons I don't need, like EVE. But now I realized that it is better not to touch anything at all.

Edited by rebel-1

13 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

What happens if you exit the game and restart?  There is definitely something odd going on there

After the restart, everything is fine. And the buttons that are disabled in the TC menu are gone from the panel! 

But yesterday they also did not turn off and they had to be hidden in a folder, as I wrote above, that they do not hide in the folder in the hangar, but only duplicate. It's magic.

And what should I do with unnecessary buttons of other mods? Hide them in a folder? Why can't they also be hidden through the TC menu?

Edited by rebel-1

15 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

JC is for hiding parts from the parts list in VAB/SPH. It doesn't (or shouldn't) have the capability to hide buttons from the toolbar, last time I checked. 

It actually does, but in a limited way.  It doesn't interface with the TC at all, which is why the conflict.

24 minutes ago, rebel-1 said:

After the restart, everything is fine. And the buttons that are disabled in the TC menu are gone from the panel! 

But yesterday they also did not turn off and they had to be hidden in a folder, as I wrote above, that they do not hide in the folder in the hangar, but only duplicate. It's magic.

And what should I do with unnecessary buttons of other mods? Hide them in a folder? Why can't they also be hidden through the TC menu?

A bug?  :-)

Please provide an exact sequence of steps which causes this (ie:  every button click, etc), will make it easier to find and fix

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.