[1.12.*] MOAR [x] Science! - KSP Science report and checklist

linuxgurugamer

bug report: With default settings, clicking the mod menu button below the [x] icon opens the here and now menu. This blocks launching the proper menu for the corresponding mod below the [x] icon. This is Waypoint Manager for me... I doubt that matters.

version 6.0.0.8 from CKAN on KSP 1.12.2 and Win10.

1. changing the right click operation from "mute music" to "opens here & now menu" moves the [x] icon to the bottom position in the mod menu, which avoids the issue. 
  2. changing the option back to "mutes music" moves the other mod button (Waypoint Manager) to the bottom position in the mod icon menu with [x] second to bottom, and again left clicking the Waypoint Manager icon opens the here and now menu.
  3. again changing it back to "opens here & now menu" deletes the Waypoint Manager icon entirely... so that mod menu cannot be accessed. Clicking the black space below the [x] icon does nothing (the Waypoint manager icon isn't simply invisible).

Changing ships restores the other mod icon. 

UPDATE:

Hold on @linuxgurugamer So now I restarted KSP (and a different ship and different CB) and it's working fine. CTB icon is under [x] icon this time, if it matters. I don't know what was happening before. 

Edited by Krazy1
update

1 hour ago, antipro said:

hi,
when you have a little time could you please increase the "here and now" window's "Max Science" Bar value from 50 to 100?

It would be better to just be able to type in a new value instead of using the inaccurate bar anyway.

18 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

It would be better to just be able to type in a new value instead of using the inaccurate bar anyway.

excuse me, why the science bar should  be inaccurate? for me it is not.
and anyway is more comfortable/convenient/handy than type values.

Edited by antipro

On 8/28/2021 at 3:23 AM, Krazy1 said:

bug report: With default settings, clicking the mod menu button below the [x] icon opens the here and now menu. This blocks launching the proper menu for the corresponding mod below the [x] icon. This is Waypoint Manager for me... I doubt that matters.

How is this a bug?  That icon is NOT WaypointManager, you can tell by the brackets

This is the WaypointManager icon:  wHv0bph.png

These are the [x] Science icons: 2jVzyVp.png

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

That icon is NOT WaypointManager, you can tell by the brackets

Yes apparently I was confused. Sorry about that. I've been using this mod a long time set to open the here and now menu when right clicking the [x] and in that mode there is no pin marker icon.

TU5oRD0.png

I did a fresh install for 1.12, so it was set to default Mute Music. Honestly (I know you didn't write this mod) I wouldn't have added the mute music option to this mod.

Edited by Krazy1
weird font

Not sure if this is because the save is from an earlier version of ksp, or what. but at desert launch site here and now doesn't trigger in ksp 1.12.2 [x] science 6.0.0.8 CKAN:

Pm20yJU.png

you can still get the science if you run the experiments fortunately.

10 hours ago, se5a said:

Not sure if this is because the save is from an earlier version of ksp, or what. but at desert launch site here and now doesn't trigger in ksp 1.12.2 [x] science 6.0.0.8 CKAN:

Pm20yJU.png

Yeah, I think it would work if the list there had it as "Kerbin's Desert Launch Site (Dessert)", rather than "Kerbin's Desert Launch Site (Shores)". Don't quote me on this, but it's likely just a config file thing. Or perhaps the mini and micro biomes are coded into the mod weird...

Edited by Paaaad

13 hours ago, se5a said:

Try creating a new install, get to it and see what happens

• 2 weeks later...

How do you install this mod from CKAN?

If I search on science I can see the 6.0.0.8 version dated 7/26/2021, but it's apparently not marked as compatible with 1.12.2 so there's no checkbox to select it for install. Right-clicking its row shows Download Contents as the only active option; the other choices Reinstall and Purge Contents are grayed out.

I've used [x] Science! in the past so I'm happy to see it revived.

45 minutes ago, Stratagerm said:

If I search on science I can see the 6.0.0.8 version dated 7/26/2021, but it's apparently not marked as compatible with 1.12.2 so there's no checkbox to select it for install. Right-clicking its row shows Download Contents as the only active option; the other choices Reinstall and Purge Contents are grayed out.

I see the 6.0.0.8 version is compatible with "any".
If you don' see the "install" checkbox, maybe check if the "Settings" - "Compatible Game versions" are correctly configured.

Edited by antipro

1 hour ago, Stratagerm said:

I’ll check CKAN later

1 hour ago, Stratagerm said:

I'm not currently using [x] science (though I have done so in the past), but I suspect I can help with the CKAN question here. When something says it is compatible at first glance, but CKAN doesn't give you a checkbox for it, I've often found that's because one of its dependencies is not listed as compatible. In this case, I see that both Click Through Blocker and SpaceTux Library only show compatibility up to 1.12.1. I'd lay good odds that they really are fine in 1.12.2, but CKAN just hasn't been told that. You can tell CKAN to consider anything for 1.12.* to be ok (settings/compatible game versions). Or you can use a trick that was recently pointed out to me (thanks HebruSan via Darthgently); if you go into the versions tab in CKAN, you can select a specific version of a mod regardless of what compatibility it lists. That way you don't open yourself up to accepting a bunch of other mods that you might want to (though I doubt that 1.12.* is really much of a problem).

16 minutes ago, rmaine said:

I'm not currently using [x] science (though I have done so in the past), but I suspect I can help with the CKAN question here. When something says it is compatible at first glance, but CKAN doesn't give you a checkbox for it, I've often found that's because one of its dependencies is not listed as compatible. In this case, I see that both Click Through Blocker and SpaceTux Library only show compatibility up to 1.12.1. I'd lay good odds that they really are fine in 1.12.2, but CKAN just hasn't been told that. You can tell CKAN to consider anything for 1.12.* to be ok (settings/compatible game versions). Or you can use a trick that was recently pointed out to me (thanks HebruSan via Darthgently); if you go into the versions tab in CKAN, you can select a specific version of a mod regardless of what compatibility it lists. That way you don't open yourself up to accepting a bunch of other mods that you might want to (though I doubt that 1.12.* is really much of a problem).

The mod IS updated for 1.12.2, I have to check to see why CKAN isn’t seeing that.

‘I see the problem, the .version file needs to be updated.

‘For now, tell CKAN that all 1.12 mods are compatible

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 1 month later...

I have a question regarding this mod. So, I have been using this mod for the benefit to keep track of my science progression. And recently I found out about the science labs. I am asking because the science tracker isn't keeping track of experiments that I have done that are going to the lab. Like at all and so I was wondering if there is a fix or if it is intentional or what.

23 minutes ago, WhiteGinger3000 said:

the science tracker isn't keeping track of experiments that I have done that are going to the lab

it's intentional, since an experiment processed in the lab are not considered done, and can also be sent (or recover) to the KSC

4 hours ago, ridik58 said:

Hello, sorry for my English. I can't manage to do an eva experimentally while flying. Someone would have any idea?

Your English is fine and Google can be your friend.  C'est mieux que mon francais!

See here https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/EVA_Experiments_Kit.  The EVA Science Experiment is limited to space or standing on a celestial body.

Edit 1: Perhaps an error in Moar Science.

Edited by Brigadier

On 11/6/2021 at 7:24 PM, ridik58 said:

Hello, sorry for my English. I can't manage to do an eva experimentally while flying. Someone would have any idea?Capture-d-cran-3.png

tu ingles esta bien. Your english is just fine, and maybe better than mine.

I recomend you make a spreadsheet like this, its very useful to know what to do and how
WNGTcKm.png 

I know... its in spanish, but maybe you can understand it. the green ones you can transmit the science at home vía antenna without loose it. the blue ones need to be reinitilizated by a scientist, and the red ones, you have to do it in every biome if you want all the juicy science. "1" means that you can make that experiment 1 time and you will have all the science, "6" means that you will have to repeat the experiment to have all the science (no necessarily 6 times, but 6 is the max times that you can repeat an experiment everywhere). if you want it I can translate it...

Edited by Zerolera

4 hours ago, Zerolera said:

I recomend you make a spreadsheet like this, its very useful to know what to do and how
WNGTcKm.png

I made an external tool which parses a savefile and puts it in a friendly form : https://github.com/Goufalite/kerbalscience#Kerbal-Science

You can use the demo website or host it yourself (in PHP).

But ingame, the "here and now" window is very useful!

22 minutes ago, Goufalite said:

I made an external tool which parses a savefile and puts it in a friendly form : https://github.com/Goufalite/kerbalscience#Kerbal-Science

You can use the demo website or host it yourself (in PHP).

But ingame, the "here and now" window is very useful!

yes, the here and now window is very useful, but you cannot plan how many experiments you will need to have the 100%, or if you can trasmit the experiment without loose science. and your tool is amazing! I remember seeing some similar tables to fill in manually, googling for list of experiments, but this is more autistic and comfortable . I thank god I found Xscience, I could not sleep if I knew that I have 0.1 missing from an experiment somewhere in the universe.

Edited by Zerolera

Thanks for your quick response. But the real problem is that there is an (EVA Experiment) in flight! Check your XScience. Is it just that it is not possible to do it? Is it possible to validate it by modifying the persistent.sfs file thanks in advance

Edited by ridik58

2 hours ago, ridik58 said:

Is it just that it is not possible to do it?

According to the KerbalEVA.cfg file, EVA experiments (as evaScience) have a situation mask of 1 for the Banana and Golf (which means Landed, not Splashed) and 48 for the Dzhanibekov experiment (which mean Low and High Space). It looks like the general situationMask in ScienceDefs.cfg (63, any situation) is ignored. So yes, no flying!

You should wait for a fix, or else copy an existing evaScience experiment and change the situation (BACKUP FIRST) :

Science
		{
			id = evaScience@KerbinFlyingLow
			title = Flying low EVA kit
			dsc = 1
			scv = 0
			sbv = 0.300000012
			sci = 7.50000048
			asc = True
			cap = 7.50000048
		}
Science
		{
			id = evaScience@KerbinFlyingHigh
			title = Flying high EVA kit
			dsc = 1
			scv = 0
			sbv = 0.300000012
			sci = 7.50000048
			asc = True
			cap = 7.50000048
		}

2 hours ago, Goufalite said:

According to the KerbalEVA.cfg file, EVA experiments (as evaScience) have a situation mask of 1 for the Banana and Golf (which means Landed, not Splashed) and 48 for the Dzhanibekov experiment (which mean Low and High Space). It looks like the general situationMask in ScienceDefs.cfg (63, any situation) is ignored. So yes, no flying!

You should wait for a fix, or else copy an existing evaScience experiment and change the situation (BACKUP FIRST) :

Science
		{
			id = evaScience@KerbinFlyingLow
			title = Flying low EVA kit
			dsc = 1
			scv = 0
			sbv = 0.300000012
			sci = 7.50000048
			asc = True
			cap = 7.50000048
		}
Science
		{
			id = evaScience@KerbinFlyingHigh
			title = Flying high EVA kit
			dsc = 1
			scv = 0
			sbv = 0.300000012
			sci = 7.50000048
			asc = True
			cap = 7.50000048
		}

thank you so much.
Where did you find these codelines?
Is there one place to find all of the Science lines?

14 hours ago, ridik58 said:

Is there one place to find all of the Science lines?

The ScienceDefs.cfg file.

Caution: if you want to tweak them use Module Manager so you won't alter the original file.

The evaScience experiment is a little special since the situation mask is in its own cfg file (KerbalEVA.cfg).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.