[1.12.*] MOAR [x] Science! - KSP Science report and checklist

linuxgurugamer

Hello everyone. I'm not sure how to go about this so let me know if there's more information I need to give.

I'm running the latest version of KSP with the latest of this mod, and it isn't tracking some of the different experiments provided by some mods. These mods being Angel-125's MOLE and SCANsat. There may be more. I've just noticed these while progressing through the game. It does show Angel-125's Buffalo Biome Research experiment.

Is there anything I can do to enable the mod to show them? This is an excellent mod though!

Edit: I noticed in the mod’s Plug-in Data folder’s science.cfg that those experiments  have = Avoid All with them. Is there a way to disable them?

Edited by SpaceWolf2021
Found new information

23 hours ago, ridik58 said:

Hello everyone .
I have science to do in two places that I don't know. Can you tell me where it is? (Baikerbanur and ROC)Capture-d-cran-4.png

I have seen this as well. And, it was with barring this a stock game. I just looked and it still shows.

This is the only thing I've been able to find about it, and it's from the KSP Wiki. It has both in the about box: "Experiment = roc[unknown]" And, in the usage area: "Search for a surface feature from the Breaking Ground expansion, they can be found either by flyby or by using the ROC finder in the cheat menu."

It says the same in each of the scanning arm pages. Here is a link to one of them: https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/CRSY_Light_Scanning_Arm

Edited by SpaceWolf2021
Additional information

2 hours ago, ridik58 said:

I found for ROC

Where was it?

2 hours ago, ridik58 said:

the problem is Baikerbanur is in Grasslands But ScienceX says you have to be in Shore

That's the problem with mini-biomes, sometimes you need to touch the buildings to enter this kind of biome, like the R&D ones.

• 4 weeks later...

Minor issue: in the Here and Now window, the "suppress results window" button doesn't work. It worked in the old [x]science version, but I believe that was also on KSP 1.11 and I'm on 1.12 now. 

It's nice to have this when you set action groups to run all your science experiments, collect all and reset experiments. With the results window active, you can't reset experiments. So if you've already filled up on an experiment, the sensor stays full and can't run again in a new biome. I'm dipping into Eve atmosphere trying to get maximum science. ;)

UPDATE: OK not a bug. It is blocking the science results window when experiments are initiated from the here and now window. It doesn't suppress the results window otherwise (manually running experiments or using action groups).  I wish it did but not a big deal.

Edited by Krazy1
update

• 4 weeks later...

I'm really confused. I've extracted the mod and all of the dependencies and then placed the game data folders in the correct spot. When I get into the game nothing looks different from how it did before I downloaded and installed these mods. Is there a special way to enable it or a button I need to press to bring up the toolbar? 

Edited by Goonster85
Nevermind, installed with CKAN and it works.

7 hours ago, Goonster85 said:

I'm really confused. I've extracted the mod and all of the dependencies and then placed the game data folders in the correct spot. When I get into the game nothing looks different from how it did before I downloaded and installed these mods. Is there a special way to enable it or a button I need to press to bring up the toolbar? 

Log file, please

On 1/3/2021 at 12:39 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

[x] Science! is a mod to provide you with information regarding what science is available and where.

Originally written by Bodrick. Great design and coding is entirely due to Bodrick, original thread here:https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/96000-0-25-x-Science!-v4-0-(2014-10-24)-now-with-blizzy-s-toolbar-support (lost, would appreciate a current link for it, if possible)

Found it, if you want to edit your OP, @linuxgurugamer

Edited by Stone Blue

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Maybe I'm using it wrong but I can't figure out how to always get the green bar to show full for some experiments.  It does for some, but then others it doesn't.  For some experiments, I'm left with a partially full (or empty) blue bar even after running the experiment.  For example, I have "Show Experiments available right now" selected.  I'm currently in low orbit at Eve with a Materials Bay.  The science window says "Materials study in space near Eve 0/224".  But I've run the experiment and kept the data.  Shouldn't that fill up the bar?

I also have "Complete without Recovery selected".  

Also, how do you "run experiments at the click of a button" as posted in the OP?  I don't see an option for this anywhere. 

Ha, I didn't see the little indicator icon right below the "X".  Man oh man.  So pushing that and doing the science from in that window (Here and now!) begins to fill up the blue bars in "Science" window.

Edited by Biggen

2 hours ago, Biggen said:

Maybe I'm using it wrong but I can't figure out how to always get the green bar to show full for some experiments.  It does for some, but then others it doesn't.  For some experiments, I'm left with a partially full (or empty) blue bar even after running the experiment.  For example, I have "Show Experiments available right now" selected.  I'm currently in low orbit at Eve with a Materials Bay.  The science window says "Materials study in space near Eve 0/224".  But I've run the experiment and kept the data.  Shouldn't that fill up the bar?

I also have "Complete without Recovery selected".  

Also, how do you "run experiments at the click of a button" as posted in the OP?  I don't see an option for this anywhere. 

Ha, I didn't see the little indicator icon right below the "X".  Man oh man.  So pushing that and doing the science from in that window (Here and now!) begins to fill up the blue bars in "Science" window.

A lot of experiments take more than one go to collect all the science they can give you- it's basically just the EVA/crew reports, the thermometer, the barometer, and the big scanning arm that you can get in one go. You get all the science from the orbital ore scanner the first time too, but that's a bit different. It takes three runs to get all the science from the Mystery Goo on Kerbin's surface for example, and four for the Science Jr. in the same conditions.

• 2 weeks later...

I am experiencing a couple of different minor issues. First off is I have two Geiger Counter experiments listed in every biome on Kerbin. They use different modules to complete. The first one in the list is Actually taken using the N-00K Nuclear Package which lists the experiment as 'Collect Radiation Emulsions.' I am running several mods which add parts and contracts including DMagic Orbital Science, Rovers & Probes and SCANSat. I'm not sure which mod that the N-00K comes from or how X Science reads the experiments from the data files, but it would be nice if they were differentiated somehow. I have run a couple of contracts requiring a Geiger Counter experiment in orbit only to find out that the standard Geiger Counter does not work, and I have to relaunch with the Nuclear Package.  I will work on posting pics, I do not have an online place to put them at the moment.

https://imgur.com/5eBatZU

https://imgur.com/JeM0xs2

https://imgur.com/k1AiVVS

The other problem was mentioned a bit earlier in the thread about certain experiments not being fully completed. I have two that are doing it currently.  The biological experiments one using the OFO Space Adaptation Experiment gives me 2.3/4.5 science when I run it. It would seem that multiple runs are necessary, maybe 3 or 4, however, it will not give me any more science for running it with another OFO Space Adaptation Experiment. The points already gathered show up blue (the 2.3) and the second run finishes the bar in green, but when I return to KSC, I get nothing, even though my report says I have gathered like 15 data. I cannot get it to give anymore science no matter how many times I run the experiment. Is it possible that I need to use a different device that does some other kind of Biological Experiment? I have never experienced the necessity of using multiple different pieces of equipment to get all the science from a particular experiment, it is always just a matter of running the same device repeatedly. The other device which is doing the same thing is the Cosmic Ray Data using the Pioneer 10 Cosmic Ray Telescope. I get a full green bar when I actually run the experiment, but I only actually get 1.6/1.8 science and can never get more no matter how many times I run it. Is it possible that the data file that is reading these experiments info from has incorrect totals science amounts in them? I honestly do not know how that data files for science and such are configured.

https://imgur.com/mQtvifz

https://imgur.com/1OY8UMs

https://imgur.com/xKrvCQn

https://imgur.com/j2niWyz

https://imgur.com/iLVQtGb

I could post log files or other things, but not sure where to find/generate them. Please explain where I can find the log files you need, if you indeed do need them, and I can try to get them and update this post. I will also try and update with pics once I get them uploaded somewhere. I am currently at work and they have our computers locked down pretty tight as far as what websites we can access. I cannot even access DropBox from here.

I think you can access the pics now. Thank you for the mod too :)

Player.log (file://DESKTOP-KLTO40L/Users/r3_14/OneDrive/Player.log)

Edited by r3_141592654
Changing pic links and player.log

2 hours ago, r3_141592654 said:

I am experiencing a couple of different minor issues. First off is I have two Geiger Counter experiments listed in every biome on Kerbin. They use different modules to complete. The first one in the list is Actually taken using the N-00K Nuclear Package which lists the experiment as 'Collect Radiation Emulsions.' I am running several mods which add parts and contracts including DMagic Orbital Science, Rovers & Probes and SCANSat. I'm not sure which mod that the N-00K comes from or how X Science reads the experiments from the data files, but it would be nice if they were differentiated somehow. I have run a couple of contracts requiring a Geiger Counter experiment in orbit only to find out that the standard Geiger Counter does not work, and I have to relaunch with the Nuclear Package.  I will work on posting pics, I do not have an online place to put them at the moment.

The mod gets the description from the mod, you would have to change the description in the mod

I could post log files or other things, but not sure where to find/generate them. Please explain where I can find the log files you need, if you indeed do need them, and I can try to get them and update this post. I will also try and update with pics once I get them uploaded somewhere. I am currently at work and they have our computers locked down pretty tight as far as what websites we can access. I cannot even access DropBox from here.

See my sig for info on how to get the logs and where you can post them

I did try posting pics from here, but you might not be able to access them

Images need to be loaded to another file sharing site (such as Imgur), and then you post a link to them here

4 minutes ago, r3_141592654 said:

Where is it in the mod? Is there a config file or something? Can I view it with notepad or any text editor?

Thank You

I wasn't clear.  X-Science get the description from the definition of the experiment in the mod with the science.  That is in a text file(s) with a suffix of "cfg".

4 hours ago, r3_141592654 said:

Where is it in the mod? Is there a config file or something? Can I view it with notepad or any text editor?

Thank You

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I wasn't clear.  X-Science get the description from the definition of the experiment in the mod with the science.  That is in a text file(s) with a suffix of "cfg".

Adding to this answer: Someone recently reminded me that the cfg info gets combined into the ModuleManager.ConfigCache file. Depending on how you like to search, it might might be easier to scan that one big MM file instead of many small cfg files.

16 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

Adding to this answer: Someone recently reminded me that the cfg info gets combined into the ModuleManager.ConfigCache file. Depending on how you like to search, it might might be easier to scan that one big MM file instead of many small cfg files.

Is this why my game load screen starts off saying it added 18783 definitions (or something, I don't remember what it called them)? Where would I find this master mod file to look at?

I was able to peek into one of DMagic's  mods and saw that there seemed to be a folder for each 'thing.' I am still trying to parse out what that thing is, whether it is a science part, or experiment. For instance, I printed out the Xray.cfg file.  I see it looks like a Part module. It has the model pointer and scale factors and node_attach locations. A good chunk of info is the TechRequired= fieldScience (I assume that is the spot on the tech tree), entryCost (not sure about), cost seems to be the cost of the part in VAB or SPH. category=Science maybe this is placement in VAB/SPH parts list?  subcategory=0 no sure about. title=XRD Surface Analyzer (I assume that this is the actual name of the part in the VAB/SPH). Manufacturer and Description are pretty obvious. attachrules?  Standard Part Parameters are fairly obvious : mass, bulkheadProfiles, crashtolerance, maxTemp, emissiveConstant=0.85 (not sure about that, but maybe heat generated?), Thermalmassmodifier?  There is a list of tags like: experiment, research, rerun, re-run, reus, re-us, redo, re-do, reset, re-set, science, dmagic, dmos, asteroid, xray, chemin. Not sure what all those are about. 4 drag parameters.

Now comes some stuff less understandable by me. There are 4 MODULEs. The first definition just has name=ModuleBiomeScanner. Next is name=ModuleAsteroidAnalysis. Then name=ModuleAnalysisResource and resourceName=Ore.  The last MODULE is a longer definition of name=DMXRayDiffract. Do these tell which experiments or contract types that use this module? 

The DMXRayDiffract MODULE has drill length, animation name, animation parameters, some event parameters, a customFailMessage. Then experimentID=dmXRayDiffract (not sure about), experimentActionName= Collect X-Ray Data (This is probably the one to show up in [x] Science! and the actual contracts telling what to do.  Then some stuff on Staging, ActionGroups, hideUIwhenunavailable, rerunnable. xmitDataScalar might be the percent for transmitting the data from the experiment? 1.0 would be 100% probably. dataIsCollectible, collectActionName, interactionRange, externalDeploy, and usageReqMaskExternal (somewhat understand these.) asteroidReports ans asteroisType Dependent are fairly straightforward. 

Finally there is what appears to be a RESOURCE sections that defines name=ElectricCharge and rate=10. I assume this means it is consuming your Electrical Power (the resource) at a rate of 10/sec while running? 

What I didn't see in here that I expected to see (and what most interests me about my problems) are the definitions about how much total science is available and whether it takes multiple samples and if it uses some standard formula for diminishing returns on the repeated samples. It would seem that the tags section which has stuff about rerun, redo, etc. would indicate that maybe it needs multiple samples to get to 100%. I'll have to dig around to find the N-00K Nuclear Package and see why it is coming up as geiger counter. Any other enlightenment is appreciated.

@linuxgurugamer Were you able to access my pics and player.log file?  Thanks

49 minutes ago, r3_141592654 said:

Is this why my game load screen starts off saying it added 18783 definitions (or something, I don't remember what it called them)? Where would I find this master mod file to look at?

Yes, the Module Manager mod assembles a cache of all your configs. You can find ModuleManager.ConfigCache in the gamedata folder.

49 minutes ago, r3_141592654 said:

Then experimentID=dmXRayDiffract (not sure about), experimentActionName= Collect X-Ray Data (This is probably the one to show up in [x] Science! and the actual contracts telling what to do.

I'm working from memory and might have some of the terms wrong. You may need to look across multiple files. I assume you're on Windows. If you aren't familiar with how to search for filenames and text, learn how to use the cmd command prompt and the findstr command, or one of the many other ways to search.

Example: findstr /S /I /C:"text you see on the xscience screen" *.cfg

That may find multiple files, including some part definitions and some experiment definitions. I think you want to start with the experiment definition. Then read the experimentID related to that experiment, and do another findstr to find all parts that reference the experimentID.

KSP allows different experiments to have the same exact text. This can be vague and makes it difficult to know which modded experiment(s) will fulfill a contract. Sometimes it's best to just cheat a contract complete if my craft flew to Duna with the wrong part.

• 3 weeks later...

Warning: This mod now conflicts with Kerbal Inventory System.   This occured whenever one of the following changes happened: This mod requiring other mods (ClickThroughBlock, which requires Toolbar Controler, which itself requires Zero MiniAVC) or KIS including its own AVC.dll which gets purged by Zero MiniAVC automatically, which causes an error saying module manager needs to close KSP.  I have had these mods installed through CKAN for a *long* time, and this just started occurring for me tonight after running an update on my mods.  Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be widely known as CKAN does *not* show the conflict in the Relationships tab between Zero MiniAVC and KIS (nor any conflicts for KIS) and I only figured it out by reading my log and seeing the following:

[EXC 02:35:29.017] [ModuleManager] The patching thread threw an exception: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: E:\Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KIS\Plugins\MiniAVC-V2.dll
  at System.Diagnostics.FileVersionInfo.GetVersionInfo (System.String fileName) [0x0000d] in <ef151b6abb5d474cb2c1cb8906a8b5a4>:0 
  at ModuleManager.ModListGenerator.GenerateModList (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] modsAddedByAssemblies, ModuleManager.Progress.IPatchProgress progress, ModuleManager.Logging.IBasicLogger logger) [0x000a2] in <a0f9d7e5c0864d32839c501c53536c2a>:0 
  at ModuleManager.MMPatchLoader.Run () [0x000f3] in <a0f9d7e5c0864d32839c501c53536c2a>:0 
  at ModuleManager.MMPatchRunner+<>c__DisplayClass10_0.<Run>b__1 () [0x00001] in <a0f9d7e5c0864d32839c501c53536c2a>:0 
  at ModuleManager.Threading.BackgroundTask+<>c__DisplayClass0_0.<Start>g__RunAction|0 () [0x00002] in <a0f9d7e5c0864d32839c501c53536c2a>:0 

Presumably, another other mods containing this requirement (anything using Zero MiniAVC) also cause this problem (ScienceAlert ReAlerted does, as I tried to replace [x] Science with it shortly afterwords to be met with a similar issue).

Edited by SirGouki
minor change

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.