When I don't play KSP - photography work

OnlyLightMatters

I think the fuzz is to obfuscate the names of these boats, as it could cause Image Usage Rights trouble with their owners on publication....

Same reason for Google blurring out car license plates and people's faces on Street View.  It's amazing the kind of mess one can get himself into by having people unknowingly featured in photographs. 

This is mostly if you sell or present your pictures in some very much public way -  For personal everyday use, it's usually fine and nobody cares

I think its a long exposure. The boats are moved by the water whereas the piers are stationary as viewed from the camera. Another clue is that the sun disappeared, but the overall brightness is the same across the pics.

So I gotta ask, for these shots do you have sort of guidelines like if the sun is at x degrees above horizon, exposure should be y for "regular" brightness, or is it more a learned, intuitive thing?

On 1/4/2021 at 9:49 PM, Meecrob said:

So I gotta ask, for these shots do you have sort of guidelines like if the sun is at x degrees above horizon, exposure should be y for "regular" brightness, or is it more a learned, intuitive thing?

Well, exposure can be very different giving the circumstances: bright sun, water reflections, clouds.... But for sure having the sun in the frame will cause a very short exposure totally incompatible with this kind of result you want to achieve.
So you will have to have very dark filters when the sun is still present, less dark filters when the sun just goes away below the horizon and not so dark filters for 15-20mn after sunset. To get a smooth water you will likely have to expose at least 20s (just little waves) or more than 1mn if it moves a lot. Most cameras require a remote controller to expose more than 30s (B pose).

But mostly you earn knowledge by practising. You can guess a normal exposure time given specific weather conditions and do the maths in you head to sort you the filter you want to use.

I could speak for hours on this subject but you have to know you can either expose longer or combine several shots by stacking them.
Doolin-II.jpg

This one was taken at Doolin, Ireland. During summer :D

On this photo you have something like 7 photos of 4s each, stacked. I used this technique because it was very windy and my tripod was a light one so I had to wait between two gusts of wind to avoid any camera shake which would have caused blurred rocks.

You also have specific filters to darken a part of the frame called grad and reverse grad.

https://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/neutral_density/lee_100mm_nd_reverse_grad_06_2_stops/27646_p.html

Let me know if you have other questions :)

Edited by OnlyLightMatters

I made this one on a beach at Cyprus. The name of the place is Aphrodite's rock.

Petra-Tou-Romiou_The-Aphrodite-Rock.jpg

Here the photo had been exposed during 90s. The tripod is in the sea.
The water is so crystal clear that you can see the rocks at the bottom of the sea.

Edited by OnlyLightMatters
Grammars

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.