Better Launcher

If I could have one change that would help me the most in KSP, it would be a better launcher. The ability to download mods, purchase DLCs, and just update the game takes me upwards of hours. However,  unless there is a easier way to install them, I believe a launcher that can do this on its own would be incredible. Even uploading ship designs would be a nice feature. Different operating systems have differing file layouts so a combatibility would be very helpful for new players who lack tutorials that use the same system as they do.

• 3 weeks later...

First off-

Where did you buy KSP? Steam works better than some because they have had a workshop integration since  ~1.4.4 that allows for easy downloading of player made craft. They also auto-update and have easy ways to buy DLC (though the only flaw with Steam I have found in this instance is the extreme difficulty of backwards updating)

Second- Have you ever heard of CKAN? I’ve only personally used it a couple of times, but from my experience and others, it’s an excellent tool for managing mods. Some people use it religiously for downloading and troubleshooting mods, and you should check it out.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, kspnerd122 said:

I dont use CKAN, but I am writing some mods, I think you may like them

Number 1, Exo Dynamics, Adds the star system from astroneer, with some tweaks.

Number 2, IIE, Improved Ion Engines, adds larger ion engines as well as a xenon refinery(lategame)

Are you sure self promotion is allowed here?

I use the KSP store version, and I really think they need to get rid of the launcher all together.  It serves no purpose, aside from confusing newer players as how to correctly start the game.  Running it directly from the .exe works every time, and I don't have to worry about yet another app trying to connect to the internet.  

As mentioned CKAN works great for mods, I don't think anything the devs release on a schedule and budget would come close to the efficiency that CKAN provides.  Yeah it's a bit overwhelming and has lots of options at first, but that's cause it was built by engineers and software guys who wanted it that way for good reasons. 

And yes, updating from the store can be a chore at times, but I've done it on metered throttled high HIGH latency connections, and I just knew I had to plan ahead.   As in, not getting the latest release as soon as it drops, and waiting for inevitable 1.x.1 version to drop before going after it.    And getting the latest version means most of my saves won't transfer since the mods haven't updated yet, so I prefer to sit on a stable modded build for a long time before updating. 

On 1/22/2021 at 9:42 AM, Fraston said:

First off-

Where did you buy KSP? Steam works better than some because they have had a workshop integration since  ~1.4.4 that allows for easy downloading of player made craft. They also auto-update and have easy ways to buy DLC (though the only flaw with Steam I have found in this instance is the extreme difficulty of backwards updating)

Second- Have you ever heard of CKAN? I’ve only personally used it a couple of times, but from my experience and others, it’s an excellent tool for managing mods. Some people use it religiously for downloading and troubleshooting mods, and you should check it out.

The only time it would be a issue is going back before 1.3.1, otherwise all you have to do is go into Library, right-click KSP, properties, betas and select a version. It'll begin downloading shortly afterwards.

This should be better explained somewhere, but it's one of the easiest regression methods of any game iv'e ever had that wasn't on disc (Those you had the unpatched retail version on the disc and could just download and patch it to exactly where you wanted it lel).

Also to the OP, while systems have different directory structures all you'd really have to do is find where KSP is installed. Then it should be gravy from there, also I'm sure someone on the technical support forums could help you out if you really needed. Plenty of people running different OS than windows there, eventually one would be able to point you in the right direction.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.