[1.12.*] KerBalloons Reinflated - Real Science?

linuxgurugamer

Just now, flart said:

Yes, looks all is working without the symmetry.
btw, coping in the editor using the Alt key have the same problems with the rope.

You probably forgot about showing the max pressure number instead of the min pressure.

No, i didn't, but the symmetry was more important.  It's already been fixed in the code.

Speaking of which, while it looks to be working, there actually is a problem with the values not being set correctly, I'm working on that

4 minutes ago, flart said:

Also It is not shoots into the sky if the payload is very small as in the old kottabos video, and the module have maxSpeed = 5
I have not tried yet to set the value to 1000, but I believe the mod could have checkbox in the setting to disable the  maxSpeed limitation for a realism and the most useful payload skyrocketing for the future orbiting. 

Well, this is an adoption, which means that I first need to get everything working properly before making any real functional changes.  

New beta, 0.5.0.5

• Fixed values when in the editor in symmetry mode (symmetric parts weren't getting updated properly)
  • Added option to ignore speed limiter (in stock settings)
  • Added option to have datalogs go either in mod dir or game dir (in stock settings)
  • Fixed display of Max payload at min pressure

New beta, 0.5.0.6

• Fixed display of Max payload at min pressure correctly this time

I've also done some test with removing the speed limiter.  Looks like it's properly taking drag into account, so no more rocketing up into space the way the original mod did.  Right now the speed limiter is enabled by default, I may change that depending on feedback

13 minutes ago, flart said:

Cool, thanks!

Also there is flickering bug on a physics warp, that happens even with the more-or-less green clock.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/usmolvj7a60vgia/20210115-185843.222.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uwqlqgapzpebc6m/20210115-191928.576.mp4?dl=0

I watched both video, I didnt' see flickering, but I did see the balloons jump to different locations.

That's just an artifact of the way these were implemented.  Not going to do anything about that at the present time.

@flart made a note on my thread that your upgrades on the balloon are not working.  PARTUPGRADE's for universalBalloonHP have partIcon's that point to a missing part named Sonde.  I had never tried the previous iteration, so not sure if that refers to a part that no longer exists.  Currently none of the balloons past the 0.625 appear to be unlockable in career mode.

Edited by hemeac

13 hours ago, hemeac said:

@flart made a note on my thread that your upgrades on the balloon are not working.  PARTUPGRADE's for universalBalloonHP have partIcon's that point to a missing part named Sonde.  I had never tried the previous iteration, so not sure if that refers to a part that no longer exists.  Currently none of the balloons past the 0.625 appear to be unlockable in career mode.

Details, please, or the thread link

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There seems to be a compatability issue with Principia.

With (only) Principia and KerBalloon both installed simultaneously, you can still inflate and deflate a balloon, with the corresponding animation displaying correctly.
However, once the balloon has inflated the vessel is momentarily lifted by a couple of centimeters, only to immediately descend back to the ground. It then oscillates between barely aloft and landed.

Once deflated, the balloon settles down. 

The issue occurs at KSC with only one probe core and a suitable balloon attached, I have not yet checked other locations.
Without Principia, on a heavily modded setup, KerBalloons works like it should.

How much work would it entail to provide a compatability patch for Principia?

15 minutes ago, aleks01s said:

There seems to be a compatability issue with Principia.

With (only) Principia and KerBalloon both installed simultaneously, you can still inflate and deflate a balloon, with the corresponding animation displaying correctly.
However, once the balloon has inflated the vessel is momentarily lifted by a couple of centimeters, only to immediately descend back to the ground. It then oscillates between barely aloft and landed.

Once deflated, the balloon settles down. 

The issue occurs at KSC with only one probe core and a suitable balloon attached, I have not yet checked other locations.
Without Principia, on a heavily modded setup, KerBalloons works like it should.

How much work would it entail to provide a compatability patch for Principia?

No idea.  This is a Principia issue, bring it up with them

13 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

No idea.  This is a Principia issue, bring it up with them

This is because of the way KerBalloons applies forces.  Principia doesn't find them at the places that it expects.  Over the years we've managed to get quite a few mods fixed, but until recently KerBalloons was in a coma.

Edited by pleroy

On 3/1/2021 at 3:02 AM, pleroy said:

This is because of the way KerBalloons applies forces.  Principia doesn't find them at the places that it expects.  Over the years we've managed to get quite a few mods fixed, but until recently KerBalloons was in a coma.

What would be involved in fixing this?

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

What would be involved in fixing this?

According to the linked post, it boils down to using Part.AddForceAtPosition instead of RigidBody.AddForceAtPosition to add net forces to parts. In the linked thread, there are reports that this suffices.

46 minutes ago, aleks01s said:

According to the linked post, it boils down to using Part.AddForceAtPosition instead of RigidBody.AddForceAtPosition to add net forces to parts. In the linked thread, there are reports that this suffices.

All right, simple enough.

Here is a beta build with that change:  https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/KerballoonsReinflated/releases/tag/0.5.0.8

I don't use Principia, so will depends on others telling me if this works or not.  Please test both with and without Principia

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

someone else validates the Principia integration

@linuxgurugamer Thank you for adopting this great mod.  I can take a closer look this weekend.  In 2019, I made a Principia compatible version for myself that has worked well since then.  I see over at GitHub that you forked the github version = 0.4.3.  I assume my simple pull request to Fengist there did not show up in the new fork but that you have made similar changes based on your posts above.  I see that you merged the request :-)

The 0.4.4 version released at CurseForge has the nice flight recorder & science tools.  A few more details at the link to my specific post in the Principia thread that followed up on the thread @pleroy references in the post above:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/162200-wip181-191-1101-1111-principia—version-gödel-released-2021-02-11—n-body-and-extended-body-gravitation/&do=findComment&comment=3662462

Edited by AloE
correction

6 minutes ago, AloE said:

The 0.4.4 version released at CurseForge has the nice flight recorder & science tools.  A few more details at the link to my specific post in the Principia thread that followed up on the thread @pleroy references in the post above:

I actually have those already, I pulled the 0.4.4 from CurseForge, and decompiled the code to be sure I had what was changed.

Also, I looked at the PR you mentioned.  It actually removed the RigidBody and that WAS incorporated in my version.

I had that there already, the new version put RigidBody back, I guess I'll have to remove it.  This:

3 hours ago, aleks01s said:

Ok, so 0.5.0.7 was  using the part.AddForceAtPosition

0.5.0.8 uses part.RigidBody.AddForceAtPosition.

Both work for stock, please test and tell me which works for Principia

25 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

0.4.4 from CurseForge, and decompiled the code

great!  the .dll I made for myself in 2019 uses

31 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

part.AddForceAtPosition

by simply removing the 3 instances of .RidgidBody from the  decompiled 0.4.4 from CurseForge then recompiling.

1 minute ago, AloE said:

great!  the .dll I made for myself in 2019 uses

by simply removing the 3 instances of .RidgidBody from the  decompiled 0.4.4 from CurseForge then recompiling.

My version 0.5.0.7 already had that removed, and someone said it wasn't working with Principia.  since I don't use Principia, I need others to test it 

Calling Part.Add(Torque|Force(AtPosition)?) is the only way for a mod to apply a net force to a vessel in the presence of Principia.

Calls to RigidBody.Add(Torque|Force(AtPosition)?) will have no net effect on the vessel (though they may deform it).

Mods that use RigidBody.Add(Torque|Force(AtPosition)?) are Principia-incompatible.

12 minutes ago, eggrobin said:

Calling Part.Add(Torque|Force(AtPosition)?) is the only way for a mod to apply a net force to a vessel in the presence of Principia.

Calls to RigidBody.Add(Torque|Force(AtPosition)?) will have no net effect on the vessel (though they may deform it).

Mods that use RigidBody.Add(Torque|Force(AtPosition)?) are Principia-incompatible.

Then 0.5.0.7 should work, because that's what it did.  So why did @aleks01s claim it wasn't working? 

I'll delete the 0.5.0.8 beta from Github

15 hours ago, eggrobin said:

15 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Then 0.5.0.7 should work,

I loaded 0.5.0.7 in KSP 1.11.1 with Principia  Gödel & lifted one test balloon flight...seems to work fine ( & behavior appears similar to the revised 0.4.4 I have been using the past >1 year, including responding to KerbalWind, etc.).  Thus, looks good  so far to me per this quick test flight...proceeding with your planned CKAN release seems fine to me....

I have updated my old post on the Principia forum to point to this topic thread.

& @linuxgurugamer I really like the configuration changes you made regarding the universal balloon!  I'll keep an eye out for anything unusual. 

With Principia (& Kerbal Wind Continued )
InNrdkF.png CEsgmwy.png

Also,  I will find it interesting to try the 'AirPark' you mention...since I am not sure Principia would handle 'floating landed states' since 'only sane things should happen to moving vessels' so I am glad that AirPark is provided as a separate mod.

18 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

AirPark

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

I put together a quick replacement cfg file for the two service bay parts. Instead of static cfg files this uses ModuleManager to create clones of the stock parts. Benefit of using clones is that any changes to the parent parts are automatically incorporated into the KerBalloons parts without additional patches. e.g., There's no need to whitelist the stock models if you're using ReStock (if you're using ReStock you probably didn't even have the KerBalloons service bays in your parts list). Plus you get the ReStock models and their part variants without having to create a separate ReStock compatibility patch.

Backup your save first -- this cfg clones the current stock parts, not the deprecated versions referenced by KerBalloons, so there is a non-zero chance of things going pear shaped. Backup/delete the existing service bay cfg files and save the following as a new cfg:

Spoiler

// Clone stock parts for KerBalloon service bays. Will pickup any changes to the stock parts without requiring compatibility patches.

// Create stubs so Janitors Closet associates the parts with KerBalloons
PART
{
    name = ServiceBay_0625
}    

PART
{
    name = ServiceBay_375
}    

// Overwrite the stubs with the actual parts

+PART[ServiceBay_125_v2]
{
    @name = ServiceBay_0625
    @rescaleFactor = .5
    @manufacturer = KerBalloons
    @TechRequired = engineering101
    @entryCost = 700
    @cost = 350
    @title = Service Bay (0.625m)
}

+PART[ServiceBay_250_v2]
{
    @name = ServiceBay_375
    @rescaleFactor = 1.5
    @manufacturer = KerBalloons
    @TechRequired = fieldScience
    @entryCost = 1400
    @cost = 700
    @title = Service Bay (3.75m)
}

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.