[1.12.*] KerBalloons Reinflated - Real Science?

linuxgurugamer

On 5/29/2022 at 7:49 PM, BlackShade said:

but after install it don't show up

I haven't tested this mod with RP-1, but some general comments:

RP-1/RealismOverhaul explicitly "hides" all parts that don't have specific RP-1 patches for tech node, price, mass, scale etc.

If you go into Settings -> Difficulty Options -> RealismOverhaul and move the Speculative Level slider all the way to the left (Scifi) then this will enable maximum compatibility mode in RO. Most unconfigured parts should then show up in the Non-RP-1 Parts node in the tech tree next to the starting tech node. 

There is a tool on the RP-1 wiki to help users configure unsupported parts appropriately.

1 hour ago, Aelfhe1m said:

I haven't tested this mod with RP-1, but some general comments:

RP-1/RealismOverhaul explicitly "hides" all parts that don't have specific RP-1 patches for tech node, price, mass, scale etc.

If you go into Settings -> Difficulty Options -> RealismOverhaul and move the Speculative Level slider all the way to the left (Scifi) then this will enable maximum compatibility mode in RO. Most unconfigured parts should then show up in the Non-RP-1 Parts node in the tech tree next to the starting tech node. 

There is a tool on the RP-1 wiki to help users configure unsupported parts appropriately.

still dont work

• 1 month later...
On 5/31/2022 at 10:35 AM, BlackShade said:

still dont work

I got the balloon to work in Realism Overhaul by making a .cfg patch file (with its own folder in GameData) with the following text:

(note: this does not make the part realistic in terms of mass, etc.)

@PART[universalBalloonHP]:FOR[RealismOverhaul]

{
    %RSSROConfig = True
    %RP0conf = True
}

Patch link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3tu7qmjk4o48wek/KerBalloons_RO.zip?dl=0

yn8hvwc.jpg

Edited by Pipcard

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2022 at 9:49 PM, Pipcard said:

I got the balloon to work in Realism Overhaul by making a .cfg patch file (with its own folder in GameData) with the following text:

(note: this does not make the part realistic in terms of mass, etc.)

@PART[universalBalloonHP]:FOR[RealismOverhaul]

{
    %RSSROConfig = True
    %RP0conf = True
}

Patch link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3tu7qmjk4o48wek/KerBalloons_RO.zip?dl=0

If you update it to get the mass and other values reasonable for RO, I'll include it in the mod

On 7/30/2022 at 5:39 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

If you update it to get the mass and other values reasonable for RO, I'll include it in the mod

How do you modify the balloons and powerful enough to lift my X-33? because I've deployed the balloon but it didn't even lift so I'm thinking about modify the balloons so It could carry up. How did you do it?

56 minutes ago, EndAllFilms said:

How do you modify the balloons and powerful enough to lift my X-33? because I've deployed the balloon but it didn't even lift so I'm thinking about modify the balloons so It could carry up. How did you do it?

You would need to edit the file:  KerBalloons/Parts/UniversalBalloon/universalPayload.cfg

Look for the section which looks like this:

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleKerBalloon
		recommendedBody = Kerbin
		minAtmoPressure = 14.2
		maxAtmoPressure = 110
		minScale = 1
		maxScale = 5
		minLift = 390
		maxLift = 507

targetTWR = 1.5
		speedLimiter = true
		maxSpeed = 5
		maxSpeedTolerence = 0.02
		speedAdjustStep = 0.01
		speedAdjustMin = 0.65
		speedAdjustMax = 1.25

CFGballoonObject = Balloon
		CFGropeObject = Rope14.2
		CFGcapObject = Cap
		CFGliftPointObject = liftPoint
		CFGballoonPointObject = balloonPoint
	}

and modify the minLift and maxLift

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

You would need to edit the file:  KerBalloons/Parts/UniversalBalloon/universalPayload.cfg

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleKerBalloon
		recommendedBody = Kerbin
		minAtmoPressure = 14.2
		maxAtmoPressure = 110
		minScale = 1
		maxScale = 5
		minLift = 390
		maxLift = 507

targetTWR = 1.5
		speedLimiter = true
		maxSpeed = 5
		maxSpeedTolerence = 0.02
		speedAdjustStep = 0.01
		speedAdjustMin = 0.65
		speedAdjustMax = 1.25

CFGropeObject = Rope14.2
		CFGcapObject = Cap
	}

Min lift? what does that mean?

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleKerBalloon
		recommendedBody = Kerbin
		minAtmoPressure = 14.2
		maxAtmoPressure = 110
		minScale = 1
		maxScale = 5
		minLift = 390
		maxLift = 507

targetTWR = 1.5
		speedLimiter = true
		maxSpeed = 5
		maxSpeedTolerence = 0.02
		speedAdjustStep = 0.01
		speedAdjustMin = 0.65
		speedAdjustMax = 1.25

CFGropeObject = Rope14.2
		CFGcapObject = Cap
	}

And I also tried that but It didn't work out great because the X-33 is heavy

8 hours ago, EndAllFilms said:

But how do I even make the balloon big enough to even lift the X-33

You can't change the sizes, frankly, lifting something like that is not what this mod is for.  

Maybe look at the Hooligan Labs Airships mod (look at end of thread for new Spacedock link)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @linuxgurugamer, and thanks for your tremendous work on all of your KSP mods, which happen to be consistently within the best and most reliable.

I am trying to launch your balloons to explore planets with atmosphere, perform kerbalism low/high altitude biome science experiments and serve as zero-cost mobile relays. For this, I am counting on atmospheric wind dynamics to move my balloons all around the planet, in what I expect will be somewhat of a random walk, spanning long periods of time. Thus, I want to deploy my balloons and leave them alone "hanging" at a predetermined stable altitude in what would be akin to a "very low orbit", and to "see" them at the track station whenever they happen to have their batteries replenished by sunlight at their location, but without me having to care about them beyond that. This would be a very elegant, efficient, zero-cost, passive way of exploration and experimentation, which I was hoping to exploit even further by attaching several balloons, means of horizontal propulsion and of descent to one same craft that could effortlessly land, carry out experiments on a biome and then take off again, working as an early-gamish, slow but terrifically cost-efficient quadcopter or VTOL probe. However, I cannot manage to "leave them hanging" in the atmosphere: the game reminds me I can't leave a craft alone mid-flight. Do you know how to achieve what I want or have you thought of a workaround for this? I find the balloons most useful for autonomous experimentation and transmission of measurements from whole planet surfaces, but am not able to implement my idea. To me, this functionality would enormously enhance the playability of the mod and, in my opinion, make balloons a core part of the space experience, as it is in reality with atmospheric balloon probes, early space balloon tech in the fifties-sixties and so. Unmanned passive balloons like the ones I described here are indeed used by space and meteo organisms worldwide to track and monitor atmospheric dynamics.

Thank you again and hope to read your answer, keep up the amazing work.

3 hours ago, QuikSilver said:

However, I cannot manage to "leave them hanging" in the atmosphere: the game reminds me I can't leave a craft alone mid-flight. Do you know how to achieve what I want or have you thought of a workaround for this? I

Take a look at AirPark

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2022 at 1:46 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Here you are (if I got it right, at least)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12fn0V8ksPnr29fA6NK2yFGOvRqPo2Tzv/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Alpha512

On 8/12/2022 at 8:28 PM, Alpha512 said:

Helllppp meee, the balloon parts don't shop up in my game :( 
I run a 1.12.3 heavily modded install, but i don't think any of the mods should actually matter to KB. All dependencies also present

Are you running a career or a sandbox game?

The log file looks fine, nothing is jumping out at me right now

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Are you running a career or a sandbox game?

The log file looks fine, nothing is jumping out at me right now

My main save is career, but I checked in sandbox too and the balloon does not show up. Also what are supposed to be science instruments apparently do not have their modules in place: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11Sii5aqTZEvUScbO6D1fTOPV-STTHxD8/view?usp=sharing

2 hours ago, Alpha512 said:

My main save is career, but I checked in sandbox too and the balloon does not show up. Also what are supposed to be science instruments apparently do not have their modules in place: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11Sii5aqTZEvUScbO6D1fTOPV-STTHxD8/view?usp=sharing

The balloon part only shows up when you use the balloon category.  You can see it in the following image, it's the bottom button on the category list:

4fEPjmm.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.