[1.8.x, 1.9.x, 1.10.x, 1.11.x, 1.12.x] AirPark Continued

linuxgurugamer

7 hours ago, Jacke said:

I vaguely remember "Physics Easing" being introduced not just for Ground Bases but many vehicles breaking or exploding on sharp introduction of Physics.  Feels at least half a kluge and avoiding fixing the real root cause(s).

I don't know if the root cause has a solution. IIRC, the problem is the low precision  of the floats used on the physics engine. As you distance yourself from the craft, the lack of precision of the floats starts to kick, and on one of these unavoidable roundings your collider would unduly hit another collider and then… BADA-BOOM….

When you had to add or increment the float's exponent, you lose an entire order of magnitude of the available precision. More than enough to make touching colliders to "invade" each others space and trigger a catastrophic event.

• 2 months later...
On 4/22/2022 at 10:25 PM, RB101 said:

I'm getting weird behaviour when trying to use airpark on a vehicle that has a hooligan airships envelope on it,

Firstly the vessels doesn't stop moving,

Secondly, when i press airpark again the vessel is pushed by a phantom force that increases it's speed significantly (I can reach 3000m/s at sea level sometimes)

Yep, happens to me too at anything beyond 140m above sea level

Edited by Vovical

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The Destroyer said:

I've been having some pretty unusual behavior with airpark - if I park an airship, then fly an aircraft to it, the airship teleports into the aicraft, destroying both. Using KSP 1.10 & RSS/RO

No logs, no support. And a video showing it would also help

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

No logs, no support. And a video showing it would also help

Apologies, let me get a fresh log with just the incident...

Initially tested on 1.7.1.4 , then tested with 1.7.1.7. Initial incident would merely teleport the airship fully intact, and the collision between aircraft and airship would cause damage. In the logged tests below, the teleportation kraken-destroys the airship outright.

Video:

Log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BWi9rL100yvl6twGTor3TT8qhrAv2UYR/view?usp=sharing

7 hours ago, The Destroyer said:

Apologies, let me get a fresh log with just the incident...

Initially tested on 1.7.1.4 , then tested with 1.7.1.7. Initial incident would merely teleport the airship fully intact, and the collision between aircraft and airship would cause damage. In the logged tests below, the teleportation kraken-destroys the airship outright.

Video:

Log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BWi9rL100yvl6twGTor3TT8qhrAv2UYR/view?usp=sharing

That is curious.  Looks like it happens when you get into physics range.

I'll take a look, but it's not going to be right away.

However, you are using a few mods which might impact it, FAR, SSTU, CameraTools and InfernalRobotics.

And I'm seeing some very odd exceptions in the log file.

I'm going to ask you to do the following:

1. Make a new install, only install AirPark and it's dependencies
  2. Make a totally stock vessel as your carrier. Put something on it to lift it up, doesn't have to be strong
  3. First test, just put the carrier out on the launch pad.
  4. Enable the Cheat Gravity, then lift the carrier up into the air, about 5000m high
  5. Park it
  6. Restore Gravity
  7. Launch a plane
  8. Repeat the same tests you did above

This will demonstrate if it's any other mods interacting with it.

If it still fails, then send me the craft files you used so I can test the same scenario.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

On 8/1/2022 at 4:21 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

That is curious.  Looks like it happens when you get into physics range.

I'll take a look, but it's not going to be right away.

However, you are using a few mods which might impact it, FAR, SSTU, CameraTools and InfernalRobotics.

And I'm seeing some very odd exceptions in the log file.

I'm going to ask you to do the following:

1. Make a new install, only install AirPark and it's dependencies
  2. Make a totally stock vessel as your carrier. Put something on it to lift it up, doesn't have to be strong
  3. First test, just put the carrier out on the launch pad.
  4. Enable the Cheat Gravity, then lift the carrier up into the air, about 5000m high
  5. Park it
  6. Restore Gravity
  7. Launch a plane
  8. Repeat the same tests you did above

This will demonstrate if it's any other mods interacting with it.

If it still fails, then send me the craft files you used so I can test the same scenario.

Honestly, thought it was definitely a mod interaction. But, seems to be a fault of AirPark itself. 

I completed testing on both 1.10 and 1.12 with the same result. I've included the example "airship" but even the most basic craft is sufficient.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZMV8ixK6NRXnuCV81Dqhl3GvQzFrOzcQ/view?usp=sharing

Video demonstration:

6 hours ago, The Destroyer said:

Honestly, thought it was definitely a mod interaction. But, seems to be a fault of AirPark itself. 

I completed testing on both 1.10 and 1.12 with the same result. I've included the example "airship" but even the most basic craft is sufficient.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZMV8ixK6NRXnuCV81Dqhl3GvQzFrOzcQ/view?usp=sharing

Ok, thanks for looking.  I will look into it, this will be very helpful

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Yes, sadly

Oh dear :( 

I have been testing, and the air parked vessel does indeed teleport directly onto the active vessels location,

I thought it could be related to planetary rotation, so I tried positioning ships at the north and south pole of Kerbin (used Hyper edit for speed and frequency), the teleport still happened...

Not sure if this helps much though :/ 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/1/2023 at 3:30 PM, Derpistheword said:

Any updates on the teleporting problem?

No, sorry

On 4/5/2023 at 3:07 PM, BekfastDerp13 said:

I have this issue where I use VesselMover to move a craft up into the air and then park it (for a ksp movie). For some reason, the whole craft swings upon switching to another craft/ going eva. Any way to fix this?

Well, you have two mods which are probably interfering with each other.  Try setting gravity to 0, release it in the air before you park 

On 5/5/2023 at 10:01 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

No, sorry

Well, you have two mods which are probably interfering with each other.  Try setting gravity to 0, release it in the air before you park 

I'll try that, thanks for offering a solution

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.