The most advanced space craft of the recent time

What was the most advanced space craft of the recent time that surprised you the most? As you can see technology nowadays is a fast developing thing and a lot of stuff have been invented for the recent time that can make a scientific breakthrough. What was the most special for you?

3 hours ago, bearnard1244 said:

What was the most advanced space craft of the recent time that surprised you the most? As you can see technology nowadays is a fast developing thing and a lot of stuff have been invented for the recent time that can make a scientific breakthrough. What was the most special for you?

The Chinese lunar lander. Do we have to build it in KSP, or something like that?

Seems like you're asking about real space flight? So the thread has been moved to the Spaceflight subforum. 

I think the craft which returned bits of comets and asteroids are pretty amazing. We are the first generation to know what these things even look like up-close, and now we've got bits of them to examine. 

10 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Seems like you're asking about real space flight? So the thread has been moved to the Spaceflight subforum. 

I think the craft which returned bits of comets and asteroids are pretty amazing. We are the first generation to know what these things even look like up-close, and now we've got bits of them to examine. 

I wanted to mention Crew Dragon, X-37 and SpaceShip Two. But your point is superior :)

I think the most important and interesting space technology are Flagship science missions. I can not say one over the others. But like Voyagers, Galileo, Cassini, Mars rovers, Hubble, sample return missions (manned and unmanned), New Horizons etc. Next very big thing for me is probably not Starship or Artemis but LISA, gravity wave detector in space. Of course other coming planet probes are too, for example that flying drone to Titan or Europa Clipper, if they will be realized.

Manned operations seem to be more propaganda tricks than real scientific work. Yeah, it is nice to be able to visit Moon, Mars or investigate tardigrades at space station but science return to invested money ratio of manned operations is ridiculously low and I am nerd who like more science than heros.

Edited by Hannu2
small correction

Frankly, in current society (and frankly, always) heroes do sell a lot better than dry science. You want money for your robotic missions? You need to convince Joe Public to send part of his taxes your way. It will go much smoother if you can show him photos of proud explorers staking a flag in regolith. Bleeding edge spectrometer in orbit will not do nearly as well.

Also, have you noticed the trend of personifying space probes? Like Rosetta cartoons or Curiosity selfies? Again, public reacts much better to them than to dry scientific papers.

1 hour ago, Scotius said:

Frankly, in current society (and frankly, always) heroes do sell a lot better than dry science. You want money for your robotic missions? You need to convince Joe Public to send part of his taxes your way. It will go much smoother if you can show him photos of proud explorers staking a flag in regolith. Bleeding edge spectrometer in orbit will not do nearly as well.

Also, have you noticed the trend of personifying space probes? Like Rosetta cartoons or Curiosity selfies? Again, public reacts much better to them than to dry scientific papers.

I know that everything must be entertaining. I just do not like it but I know that I am exceptional in that sense. I am very happy that my job is not to sell anything to anyone.

In terms of manned spacecraft, I guess Crew Dragon takes the prize. Depending on what you mean by "recent", it doesn't have that many competitors. 

Going back more than a decade, I guess the Space Shuttle has it. That thing was definitely advanced, at least in the sense of complexity. That doesn't exclude certain huge drawbacks, though.

Sorry guys - Voyager(s) still win for continuing mission and things discovered.  Hubble is legendary.  New Dawn also gets a nod.  

Then SpaceX being able to land a booster and reuse the rocket.  SNs will surpass this when operating. 

But the one I'm waiting for anxiously? 

Webb. 

All the sample return missions. Robotic means you were really smart, manned means you were smart and have all the resources.

And samples means that you can still make new discoveries on samples collected decades ago.

Edited by YNM
On 1/7/2021 at 4:21 PM, Scotius said:

Also, have you noticed the trend of personifying space probes?

The Philae had a split personality. It's a plural.

Like Rosetta cartoons or Curiosity selfies?

And proverbs. "Curiosity killed the cat at the first Opportunity,"

heroes do sell a lot better than dry science. You want money for your robotic missions? You need to convince Joe Public to send part of his taxes your way. It will go much smoother if you can show him photos of proud explorers staking a flag in regolith

The brave Joe.
Mostly.

Spoiler

Do the maneuvering orbital inspecting subsatellites count?

On 1/7/2021 at 8:21 PM, Scotius said:

You want money for your robotic missions? You need to convince Joe Public to send part of his taxes your way. It will go much smoother if you can show him photos of proud explorers staking a flag in regolith.

Spoiler

On 1/7/2021 at 8:21 PM, Scotius said:

Also, have you noticed the trend of personifying space probes?

Spoiler

And that was for a GPS satellite !

In Greek mythology, the Oceanids or Oceanides (/ˈsənɪdz, ˈʃənɪdz/; Ancient Greek: Ὠκεανίδες, Ōkeanides, pl. of Ὠκεανίς, Ōkeanis) are the nymphs who were the three thousand (a number interpreted as meaning "innumerable") daughters of the Titans Oceanus and Tethys.[1]

On 15 October 2019, the United States Federal Communications Commission (FCC) submitted filings to the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) on SpaceX's behalf to arrange spectrum for 30,000 additional Starlink satellites to supplement the 12,000 Starlink satellites already approved by the FCC.[16]

So, let's begin...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Oceanids

Edited by kerbiloid

For me, the most advanced one was Almaz, OPS & TKS.

50 years passed, still flying and is going to fly again. As orbital station modules and not only.

Gemini extended project (MOL, both Big Gemini, both Gemini Lunar Landers, the Skylab-like triple docking Big Gemini station) was great and very original.

It's a pity they failed with the Rogallo wing, the key feature of it.

And the former was in some degree a descendant of the latter.

It's a great shame that the spacecrafting followed the way of Soyuz/Apollo/Shuttle rather than Gemini/Almaz/DynaSoar/LKS...

Edited by kerbiloid
On 1/7/2021 at 2:11 PM, Hannu2 said:

I think the most important and interesting space technology are Flagship science missions. I can not say one over the others. But like Voyagers, Galileo, Cassini, Mars rovers, Hubble, sample return missions (manned and unmanned), New Horizons etc. Next very big thing for me is probably not Starship or Artemis but LISA, gravity wave detector in space. Of course other coming planet probes are too, for example that flying drone to Titan or Europa Clipper, if they will be realized.

Manned operations seem to be more propaganda tricks than real scientific work. Yeah, it is nice to be able to visit Moon, Mars or investigate tardigrades at space station but science return to invested money ratio of manned operations is ridiculously low and I am nerd who like more science than heros.

I would mention the Parker Solar Probe. Simply for getting closer to the sun than any other spacecraft so far and considering how hard it is to get that close. The space craft which is capable to take samples from the outer corona of the Sun really makes you amazed by it, because of the high temperature it can endure.

On 1/7/2021 at 4:36 PM, Hannu2 said:

I know that everything must be entertaining. I just do not like it but I know that I am exceptional in that sense. I am very happy that my job is not to sell anything to anyone.

Actually, I do support more uncrewed missions too. They are more safe and some of them are much more cheaper to be made. As we can see such an idea is going more and more popular and a lot of uncrewed project are about to be made.

The last spacecraft that impressed me was Skylark L rocket This a space craft from the private space company from Scotland. Yeah, it`s not so capable as modern space vehicle by prominent space companies but, still it accomplishes with its missions well.

Edited by bearnard1244
On 1/7/2021 at 1:52 AM, Scotius said:

I wanted to mention Crew Dragon, X-37 and SpaceShip Two. But your point is superior :)

russian components, american components all made in taiwan china.

On 1/7/2021 at 7:36 PM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Sorry guys - Voyager(s) still win for continuing mission and things discovered. 

best tape decks in the known universe.