[1.12.x] Vessel Notes & Logs - Full Release

linuxgurugamer

Someone made a comment that they would like to be able to keep some notes with a vessel.  I loved the idea, so here you go:

This mod is designed to allow you to keep any number of notes with a vessel, and also to keep a mission log.  There is an Autolog setting which, when enabled, will have the mod add log entries for specific types of events (listed below)

This mod adds a single part called  "DataLog Info Drive", which is where the notes are stored.   You need to add this part to your vessel to get this functionality working.  While I could have added this to all the command modules, but that ends up adding extra overhead to the vessel.

Features

• Allow any number of notes to be entered.  Notes can be edited and deleted at any time.
  • Allow any number of log entries to be entered. Log entries can be edited, but not deleted.
  • Both log entries and notes can be copied to the clipboard for use outside of the game
  • Logs and Notes are stored in ALL parts with ModuleCommand.  Notes and logs entered on one will be copied to all the other parts with ModuleCommand.
  • Notes can be entered in the editor and will carry over into flight.
  • Skin can be switched at any time with a single button click
  • Font size can be adjusted both up and down on the fly
  • Activated by buttons in the PAW
  • Part highlighted while working in the window
  • When vessel is recovered, all the log entries will be saved in a file in the  directory: <savedir>/VesselLogs
    • Note that if you have multiple ModuleCommands on a recovered vessel, there will be multiple files written
    • Files will have unique names, starting with the vessel name, with a date/time stamp and a unique last number
  • Auto-log setting adds log entries for the following events
    • onCrashSplashdown
    • onLaunch
    • onStageSeparation
    • onStageActivate
    • onPartDie
    • onVesselOrbitClosed
    • onVesselOrbitEscaped
    • onCrewKilled
      • Only if the crew was in the vessel at the time of the death.  Crew on EVA are not monitored
    • onDominantBodyChange (SOI change)
    • onKerbalPassedOutFromGeeForce
    • onVesselDocking
    • onUndock
    • onCrewOnEva
    • OnTriggeredDataTransmission
    • VesselSituation.onReachSpace
    • onVesselSituationChange
    • VesselSituation.onReturnFromOrbit
    • VesselSituation.onReturnFromSurface

When a vessel undocks, all notes and logs are marked as locked, meaning that any further changes to any of the locked notes/logs will not be propogated to any other part with ModuleCommand, even if you redock with the same ship.  This is done for consistency.

For a single part, only one of the two (notes/logs) can be displayed at any time.  There is a button on each to allow fast switching to the other.

This is what the Notes window looks like:

L6fyKLz.png 

This is the Log window

RrWomVH.png

Dependencies

Availability

CKAN as well

Edited by linuxgurugamer

15 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'd appreciate some feedback, even if it was just "all good"

It is all good.  I'm using it to record GAP test flights. 

Only improvement that would make it better for me would be the addition of heading, location and altitude information to the log footer under the status line. Not a big deal, just a nice to have, and again, thanks for this. 

21 minutes ago, Caerfinon said:

It is all good.  I'm using it to record GAP test flights. 

Only improvement that would make it better for me would be the addition of heading, location and altitude information to the log footer under the status line. Not a big deal, just a nice to have, and again, thanks for this. 

Good idea.  Regarding location, I assume you would want the lat/long?

Also, it kind of implies that you are flying, so I can restrict it to only while being in the atmosphere, or if no atmosphere, below a certain altitude

Edited by linuxgurugamer

16 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I assume you would want the lat/long?

Yes please. I'm mainly concerned with flying on the Home World, but the option for other planets would be useful to.

One weird thing I ran into... 

When I landed my aircraft I have a requirement to EVA one passenger and recover. I don't expect to log that information, but when I returned to the aircraft where I was logging. All the log entries disappeared from the vessel and when I recovered the aircraft a little later the game is caught in a loop that I cannot interrupt and new  log textiles are being written to the <savedir>\VesselLogs directtory every minute.  The files are blank except for the standard footer information.

Logs are Zipped here

Update: at 14:13 the recovery of the aircraft did finally complete on it's own

Edited by Caerfinon
update

1 minute ago, Caerfinon said:

Yes please. I'm mainly concerned with flying on the Home World, but the option for other planets would be useful to.

One weird thing I ran into... 

When I landed my aircraft I have a requirement to EVA one passenger and recover. I don't expect to log that information, but when I returned to the aircraft where I was logging. All the log entries disappeared from the vessel and when I recovered the aircraft a little later the game is caught in a loop that I cannot interrupt and new  log textiles are being written to the <savedir>\VesselLogs directtory every minute.  The files are blank except for the standard footer information.

Logs are Zipped here

To be clear, you  took off, landed, eva'd one passenger, returned to the vessel and then did a recovery?

I did find one issue just now, will need to test this later

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

To be clear, you  took off, landed, eva'd one passenger, returned to the vessel and then did a recovery?

Took off, landed, eva'd one passenger, recovered that passenger wich took me to the space center.

Went into the tracking station and selected fly the aircraft.

Then recovered the aircraft and the system just hung for long time and all previous logs were gone. 

5 minutes ago, Caerfinon said:

Took off, landed, eva'd one passenger, recovered that passenger wich took me to the space center.

Went into the tracking station and selected fly the aircraft.

Then recovered the aircraft and the system just hung for long time and all previous logs were gone. 

That helps, I was able to recreate it.  Actually, when I waited long enough, it did seem to recover, with only 3 written.  I'll do more testing with this fix, thank you for the info.  for now, recover the aircraft first and then recover the passenger

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

recover the aircraft first and then recover the passenger

Unfortunately it's a requirement for a GAP contract I'm writing... but it works so I don't have to test it again for while.  (or I can temp remove the VessleLog mod if I have to re test it). 

Looking forward to the next Beta iteration

The editor's description of a vessel could be added as the first default note on the launch to the vessel.

Or, even better,  that could be a separate mod, that allow to see editor's description in the flight, for example in the stock Funds/Science/Rep window.

New beta release, 0.0.1.1

• Adjust output for the log, removing the 2nd dashed line.
  • For writing log to file, adjusted the spacing
  • added option to log current crew in every log entry
  • Fixed error when searching for modules in flight and in the eirror
  • Fixed error with multiple modules writing out all the logs for all modules
  • Added check to not write log to file if no entries
  • Excluded eva kerbals from logging code
  • Added additional code to exclude comets, asteroids and eva kerbals from all sections of the code
  • Fixed nullref in onCrewKilled
  • Make autolog a per-vessel option
  • Removed onCrewKilled
  • Removed onVesselDestroy (temporary)
  • Disabled MM patch adding module to all parts
  • Added new part: DataLog Info Drive, this part does the logging now.  
  • Fixed saving of logs and notes to preserve new lines

@CaerfinonThank you for that example, it exposed a massive performance issue when ships exploded, so I've changed it to require a part now

Edited by linuxgurugamer

@linuxgurugamer

I installed the new ClickthroughBlocker and v 0.0.11 of Vesselnotes

The new part works as expected in SPH or VAB. It attaches without issues and I can load the notes UI from it while editing the vessel.

The issue I have now is that every time I launch a vessel with the part attached, I am presented with this;

Spoiler

svLZYuT.png

Some of the tool bar icons can be used, and others cannot. I cannot exit this screen or the game. I have to kill the process in task manager.

Without the part, vessels launch from SPH/VAB normally

I've posted the logs, my list of installed mods, and the screenshot in this zip;

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YLJkrc7RgiTdM29avIsfuyYSzzsINi8k/view?usp=sharing

1 hour ago, Caerfinon said:

@linuxgurugamer

I installed the new ClickthroughBlocker and v 0.0.11 of Vesselnotes

The new part works as expected in SPH or VAB. It attaches without issues and I can load the notes UI from it while editing the vessel.

The issue I have now is that every time I launch a vessel with the part attached, I am presented with this;

Reveal hidden contents

svLZYuT.png

Some of the tool bar icons can be used, and others cannot. I cannot exit this screen or the game. I have to kill the process in task manager.

Without the part, vessels launch from SPH/VAB normally

I've posted the logs, my list of installed mods, and the screenshot in this zip;

Yuck!

I need your craft file, please.  It's working for me so far, but I do see one thing in the log which might be a clue.

31 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Yuck!

A little yes :)

32 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I need your craft file

I've removed the part from the mod, but this was the craft I was using.  I could also reproduce the issue with just a 2 kerbal lander can and just the part attached.  The P3 aircraft craft file; 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/136jMI57mDHn84SmPSRGh7FoNjJg1TvR4/view?usp=sharing

@linuxgurugamer just a couple visual things on the part for the mod.
First, in-game, the part has weird highlighting... almost the same as the part highlighting in-game, when hovering over the part... in this first shot, you can see my cursor clearly NOT hovering over the part:
mDI8PoK.png

Then, 2nd, in this pic, you can see that the textre is applied upside down :P
1VEHnDQ.png
If you give me a day or two, i can see if i can fix both... vOv

EDIT: nvm... fix is even easier... just fix the extension on the existing .dds texture, and remove the .png... looks lie the alpha channel got messed up in the .png creation...
This fixes BOTH issues above ;)

Edited by Stone Blue

1 hour ago, Stone Blue said:

@linuxgurugamer just a couple visual things on the part for the mod.
First, in-game, the part has weird highlighting... almost the same as the part highlighting in-game, when hovering over the part... in this first shot, you can see my cursor clearly NOT hovering over the part:
mDI8PoK.png

Then, 2nd, in this pic, you can see that the textre is applied upside down :P
1VEHnDQ.png
If you give me a day or two, i can see if i can fix both... vOv

EDIT: nvm... fix is even easier... just fix the extension on the existing .dds texture, and remove the .png... looks lie the alpha channel got messed up in the .png creation...
This fixes BOTH issues above ;)

I was trying to change the color of the part.   Looks like I’ll have to try harder.

If someone could recolor it for me, that would be great.

@linuxgurugamer Ran the tests with the P3 aircraft again with part attached.

Opened vesslenotes in the SPH and entered a note successfully.

Launched the craft and was trapped in the same type of screen as before, however this time the underside of my craft was visible at close range with a black background. (screenshot in log ZIP)

Again some toolbar icons worked while others did not and I was unable to exit the game except via task manager

I checked the save directory for the Vesselnotes log I created in the SPH but it was not saved.

I used the notes2log app to annotate the logs of my steps during the test. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HGs0slr_Cb6CFH_5hPFAa6pcD_vxpRYL/view?usp=sharing

1 hour ago, Caerfinon said:

@linuxgurugamer Ran the tests with the P3 aircraft again with part attached.

Opened vesslenotes in the SPH and entered a note successfully.

Launched the craft and was trapped in the same type of screen as before, however this time the underside of my craft was visible at close range with a black background. (screenshot in log ZIP)

Again some toolbar icons worked while others did not and I was unable to exit the game except via task manager

I checked the save directory for the Vesselnotes log I created in the SPH but it was not saved.

I used the notes2log app to annotate the logs of my steps during the test. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HGs0slr_Cb6CFH_5hPFAa6pcD_vxpRYL/view?usp=sharing

Thank you, but I need to see the craft file, please

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.