[1.12.x] Vessel Notes & Logs - Full Release

linuxgurugamer

12 minutes ago, Caerfinon said:

Forgot that one... this is the P3 aircraft with the part attached

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O2tN1ZkWw3V3WCPh4I3nYGVfTIvD6ZAQ/view?usp=sharing

Thank you.  And a sequence of steps that are done, please.  I know where it's failing, but not why, and it doesn't make sense yet.

I can't load the plane yet, you have a lot of mods installed, and I need to only install those necessary for flight.

Also, the plane you listed does not have the part attached, but that's ok, I assume you only have one attached for now

Thanks

Oh.  You can't use KAS or KIS in 1.11, there are bugs there, as you just found out. 

I just saw that you were using 1.11

Please retry in 1.10 and see what happens

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Ya KIS/KAS is Kraken bait in 1.11 but it you don't use any of it you're OK.

The plane is all stock parts except for the KER piece but a lot of mods may have fiddled with it those parts via patches. 

18 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Please retry in 1.10 and see what happens

Retrying 1.10 is problematic because I'm on steam and there's not really a easy/good way that I know of to revert back. Do you know of one? 

24 minutes ago, Caerfinon said:

Ya KIS/KAS is Kraken bait in 1.11 but it you don't use any of it you're OK.

The plane is all stock parts except for the KER piece but a lot of mods may have fiddled with it those parts via patches. 

Retrying 1.10 is problematic because I'm on steam and there's not really a easy/good way that I know of to revert back. Do you know of one? 

Very easy to do.

First, make a copy of the entire KSP directory:

1. In CKAN, export the modpack:
    1. File->Export modpack
  2. In Steam, right-click KSP and select Manabe->Browse local files
  3. This will open a window in the KSP directory.  Go up one level, then copy the entire directory somewhere else.  or just move the directory somewhere else
  4. Once that is done, delete the ENTIRE KSP directory (see why I said to back it up).
  5. Then, in Steam, Manage->Properties
  6. Select the BETAS tab on the left
  7. Then, click the dropdown in the right, and select the 1.10.1 version (should be the first one in the list)
  8. Sit back and wait for game to be installed
  9. Once that's done, copy/move the entire game directory somewhere else so you have it as a reference.

KSP does not have any DRM, and you can have as many copies on your disk as you want.

Finally, use CKAN to add back in the mods you want:

1. File->Install from .ckan and specify the file you saved it as in step 1 above

Playing w/this mod a little now

a few things I've noted:
not necessarily bugs...and things you may already know about :P

1. click thru blocker doesnt seem to be woring (yes, CTB, TC, SpaceTux installed, current)
  2. highlight on the Note buttons doesnt seem to turn off when another note is selected
  3. Note titles not editable? if not, unecessary scrollbar at bottom of that panel (KSP skin only)
  4. should Copy Notes, copy *all*,  or only selected? Currently, seems to be all, may be related to #2, if its supposed to be selected only?
  5. What is radial button to left of "Vessel Notes" button, for?

Edited by Stone Blue

4 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'll keep my eyes open for your next message

For a lark I installed KSP 1.10.1 on my Surface Pro (and was surprised how well it ran there).

I used only version 0.0.1.1 of VesselLogs with the additional testdll you sent me

The only other mods used were the dependencies you list for VesselLogs.

The craft I used had two parts. The two man lander can  and the vessellogs part itself and....  it worked flawlessly. No odd performance issues. No weird limbo screens after launch, and recovery was without issue.

I'm posting the logs of the session for completeness as there might have been some issues under the covers that I couldn't see, but from a user perspective it was great.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S269tLYnnjbT6iY-9xUxSQjopvhQV0a9/view?usp=sharing

I guess my other machine is likely a combination of 1.11 issues and possible mod conflicts. Thanks for the info on rolling back the steam version.

7 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

The craft I used had two parts. The two man lander can  and the vessellogs part itself and....  it worked flawlessly. No odd performance issues. No weird limbo screens after launch, and recovery was without issue

Great!  Thank you for trying that out

10 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

click thru blocker doesn't seem to be working (yes, CTB, TC, SpaceTux installed, current)

Really?   Clicking through onto what?  In my tests, the only things that I could block were the in the upper-left of the editor, and the stock toolbar

highlight on the Note buttons doesn't seem to turn off when another note is selected

More detail, please.  In the Editor or in Flight.  I did just find an issue with trying to show two notes windows in the editor (it doesn't' work) but in flight works fine.   a pic would be helpful

Note titles not editable? if not, unnecessary scrollbar at bottom of that panel (KSP skin only)

Title is editable in the Title field at the top when the note is editable.  Scroll bar is rather hard to get rid of, but I'll see what I can do.

should Copy Notes, copy *all*,  or only selected? Currently, seems to be all, may be related to #2, if its supposed to be selected only?

Right now, copy  all.  But that's a good idea, I'll change it to give the choice of currently displayed or all.

What is radial button to left of "Vessel Notes" button, for?

That's the "private" indicator.  If set, then changes to that note will not be copied to any other NotesInfo parts on the vessel

Great list of things, thank you.  Regarding the highlight  of the Notes button, I'll wait to see what you are talking about.

So for now, I have the following bugs (and one improvement) to fix:

1. Can't display multiple notes in the editor, notes window is unresponsive.  seems ok in flight
  2. In flight, putting one window on top of another causes both parts to be highlighted
  3. Change copy to clipboard to be either copy current or copy all

well, first off, i have to state, that my previous post, was using the mod in *1.11.0* .  I just assumed since this was such a new mod, it was for 1.11.0, and I failed to see only 1.10.1 is supported :face_palm: .. So feel free to disregard all this, if you arent ready for/ or dealing with 1.11 support yet.

1. Clic Through Blocking- I mean CTB is *not* seemingly woring on this mod. Basically everything, almost everywhere is hover-over activated, clickable, and activatable, thru the mods' UI. One of the places where hover-over wors, but  clicing is actually bloced, is on the staging UI in bottom left corner in-flight scene.
  2.  In editor *or* flight scene, if I clic the radial button next to a Note title, it "lights up", but does NOTHING...I would expect that it would at least select and switch to that Note?
    Once I do that, I can never get it to "turn off".. hovering over it, turns it blue, but clicking it over and over, does not turn it off/unselect the note. Clicing  the button for a different Note, does not deselect the first one, either (see left of pic below, where *all* of the buttons next to the list of notes, are all lit up... I can never turn-off/deselect any of them, once clickked)
    I dont now what you meant about showing TWO notes windows, at the same time(??), not woring in editor, but does in-flight... I dont see anyway to try to open moar than one window...in either editor or flight...vOv
  3.  Ok.. I see title is editable. The text box could maybe be longer, tho (see it in the pic)
  4. The vertical scrollbar in the text input box, wont scroll the full length of the text... you can scroll further up/down by using the up/dwn arrow keys
    ie, theres a set sized text box, *inside* another, with the scrollbars... so the scrollbars only go as far as the size of that "inner" box

This is hard for me to describe, or show by pic. Its likke, you have a set window size in the main UI, on the right, for text entry. It has both a vertical and horizontal scroll bar.
    But when you use the scrollbars, you can see another box *inside*, scrolls slightly, that the text is actually in, that is only slightly bigger than the "top" window.
    You *can* however, use the up/dwn arrow keys to scroll long text, longer than the size of that *inner* box. you can just see the top left corner/edges of this "inner" box, in the pic. Using the scrollbars only moves that "box"... not the actual text itself, inside the box.

I see theres an RPM MFD cfg?. I'm assuming maybe the text box size may be constrained to a size allowed by an RPM MFD?
    If so, I dont know if the MFD screens allow text scrolling or not vOv
    If NOT, you may want to limit the max number of lines able to be input... that may be what I am seeing... ie, i can enter at least 60 lines of text...but the only way to see moar than what is displayed at once (based on font size), is to use the up/dwn arrow keys, NOT the scrollbar... Mae sense?

1jPA5a0.png

In this 2nd pic, you can see I have 71 lines of text... only way to scroll bac up the text, is arrow eys.. NOT the scrollbar
iY8orcP.png

Also, in the Logs Ui, I see there is no option to delete individual logs? is that by design, or..??

Edited by Stone Blue

1 hour ago, Caerfinon said:

Me too... but it summoned the KRAKEN :o

Really??... it seems stable for me, just mainly needs UI tweaking? vOv
I have a lilghtly modded install (incidentally, mostly all LGG plugins) :P:
QAGmN40.png
and yes, I have MM installed... I put it in the /zDontDelete folder, with a couple other things... cuz, well, I grab & delete the 4 MM cache files before practically every restart...
*and I have been nown to accidentally grab and delete the MM .dll along with them, on occasion...* which of course creates mayhem upon restart, and I'm left going "WTH??..." :P LOL

Also, everything is up-to-date... only B9/ARP had to be overidden for 1.11... (B9 is 1.10.1, ARP is 1.9.1 compat)

5kdaTNF.png

EDIT: just did a first actual launch/flight attempt trying the mod. Did an orbital launch, using an all stock craft, except for the Info Drive.
Other than the UI piciness I've explained, it seemed to work flawlessly, with no kraken or issues vOv

Found a couple moar things to note however... probably moar feature requests than issues:

1.  just noticed there are toolbar icons incl. in the mod folder, but i dont have it showing in the toolbar (I need to restart, and see if its because the mod is not selected to show up, in TC) vOv
  2. how the notes/logs are copied to the clipboard, could prolly use some reformatting/moar formatting vOv
  3. might be nice to expose a list of loggable events, for user selection/deselection
    Also, I see Crew Reports and EVA events dont seem to generate auto logs

4. Also, where exactly are the logs getting saved to, if at all?

And again, i DO realise this is in beta, as well as not officially being supported for 1.11 yet... so again, not trying to be picky... just feedback to consider for its as-is state... i now most of what I've brought up is feature requests, or polish that you mebbe just havent implemented yet ;)

Edited by Stone Blue

4 hours ago, Caerfinon said:

Me too... but it summoned the KRAKEN :o

You were using two mods (KIS & KAS) which had known incompatibilities

4 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

just noticed there are toolbar icons incl. in the mod folder, but i dont have it showing in the toolbar (I need to restart, and see if its because the mod is not selected to show up, in TC) vOv

Not used at present.

how the notes/logs are copied to the clipboard, could prolly use some reformatting/moar formatting vOv

Reformatting how?

might be nice to expose a list of loggable events, for user selection/deselection
Also, I see Crew Reports and EVA events dont seem to generate auto logs

I'm trying to keep this simple.

Crew Reports are not loggable, nor are EVA events.  It's the nature of the way KSP is written.

Also, where exactly are the logs getting saved to, if at all?

In the save folder, in a folder called VesselLogs

On 1/10/2021 at 12:04 PM, Stone Blue said:

In editor *or* flight scene, if I clic the radial button next to a Note title, it "lights up", but does NOTHING...I would expect that it would at least select and switch to that Note?
Once I do that, I can never get it to "turn off".. hovering over it, turns it blue, but clicking it over and over, does not turn it off/unselect the note. Clicing  the button for a different Note, does not deselect the first one, either (see left of pic below, where *all* of the buttons next to the list of notes, are all lit up... I can never turn-off/deselect any of them, once clickked)
I dont now what you meant about showing TWO notes windows, at the same time(??), not woring in editor, but does in-flight... I dont see anyway to try to open moar than one window...in either editor or flight...vOv

Those toggles are not selects, but locks.  I may add a confirmation dialog (which would be optionally shown) about it.  I can see your confusion regarding clicking on it, I'll make that also select the note.

@linuxgurugamer sorry it took so long...

Considering the function of the part, how about aircraft black box-alike, orange-ish? I could tone doen the color a little moar... it does seem to be not as, bright, in flight scene, tho... vOv

I kinda wanted to stay away from existing battery/sensor yellow... vOv
But its up to you ;)

PfNjhfy.png

8 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

@linuxgurugamer sorry it took so long...

Considering the function of the part, how about aircraft black box-alike, orange-ish? I could tone doen the color a little moar... it does seem to be not as, bright, in flight scene, tho... vOv

I kinda wanted to stay away from existing battery/sensor yellow... vOv
But its up to you ;)

Looks fine to me

Thanks

• 8 months later...
15 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I see, it seems to be external to my network.  I'll have to contact my ISP, wondering if they decided to block 80

The remote version file link is "https://ksp.spacetux.net/avc/VesselNotes.version", so HTTPS not HTTP, which means port 443. Maybe that is the problem?

Until just now other remote version files were fine, however a few minutes ago they all started to return 404.

Edited by DasSkelett

1 minute ago, DasSkelett said:

The remote version file link is "https://ksp.spacetux.net/avc/VesselNotes.version", so HTTPS not HTTP, which means port 443. Maybe that is the problem?

Until just now other remote version files where fine, however a few minutes ago they all started to return 404.

That's wrong, but I'm having a network issue as well.  I'll get it fixed in an update in an hour or so

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for making this mod! It's a badly needed feature indeed, when you have more than a few vessels in flight at a time. Storing the mission profile in the vessel name only gets you so far.

A few comments:

1) You may want to mention in the first post that a part needs to be added to the vessel, it wasn't immediately obvious to me.

2) On the KSP-style skin in the vessel log window, the label for the Autolog radial button disappears (I am viewing KSP UI at 120% setting, this may be the cause). The radial button itself still stays in place.

3) In the difficulty settings page, clicking on "Default auto-log" radial button hides the entire settings page instead of disabling that setting.

Windows 10, KSP 1.12.2, mods:

Spoiler

Breaking Ground (BreakingGround-DLC 1.7.1)
ClickThrough Blocker (ClickThroughBlocker 1:0.1.10.17)
Making History (MakingHistory-DLC 1.12.1)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 4.2.1)
SpaceTux Library (SpaceTuxLibrary 0.0.8.2)
Toolbar Controller (ToolbarController 1:0.1.9.6)
Vessel Notes & Logs (VesselNotes 0.0.1.3)
Zero MiniAVC (ZeroMiniAVC 1:1.1.2.4)

Edited by Grimmas

7 hours ago, Grimmas said:

1) You may want to mention in the first post that a part needs to be added to the vessel, it wasn't immediately obvious to me.

Done, thanks for the suggestion

7 hours ago, Grimmas said:

2) On the KSP-style skin in the vessel log window, the label for the Autolog radial button disappears (I am viewing KSP UI at 120% setting, this may be the cause). The radial button itself still stays in place.

Easy enough to fix.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.