If i had a better PC would KSP be shorter to load?

Define better.

Maybe share your starting specs?

Not all components have a big impact on KSP performance. From my experience KSP benefits most from a quick processor. A super beefy graphics card on the other hand might just be wasted on KSP.  Fast memory is always good, but 32GB is more than you'll ever need. Other user might chime in with different findings though, my experience with different components is obviously limited to what I personally tried recently.

It depends... on many factors. GPU, CPU, Disk

Stock KSP (without DLCs) loads in as little as 15 -20 seconds on my computer (Ryzen 5, 32GB, RTX2080) if all the files are in the (Windows) file system cache. With both DLCs, it takes about a minute.

Spoiler

The GPU puts out a few thousand frames per second on this load (giving an audible squeal from the card) of which the display discards all but 75...

However, if the frame rate is limited outside the game engine's control (I don't know if using G-Sync/FreeSync applies here, too), the game spends a lot of time waiting because it only loads one thing per graphics frame, so you'll see your load time increase by a few frames for every modded part you add plus another few for each ModuleManager patch and so on.

The disk speed is another factor if no files have been cached from a previous start or if there's not enough RAM to store them all plus the game. Replacing a hard disk with an SSD speeds up loading by quite a bit, although I found a thread where someone figured that programs also interfere with loading times from SSD:

Edited by HansAcker
Links only get embedded on edit, not the initial post. Weird.

I mean like better and less laggy, just wonder if it would affect anything cuz i dnt plan on getting a btter one for a while

and im not really sure of the PC specs cuz its my moms old lenovo laptop, windows ten

its enpugh to run KSP "safely" on 150+ (75 ish large mods, rest small or small dependencies for the bigger ones) mods, at around 15FPS which im fine with

Edited by Souptime

41 minutes ago, Souptime said:

I mean like better and less laggy, just wonder if it would affect anything cuz i dnt plan on getting a btter one for a while

and im not really sure of the PC specs cuz its my moms old lenovo laptop, windows ten

its enpugh to run KSP "safely" on 150+ (75 ish large mods, rest small or small dependencies for the bigger ones) mods, at around 15FPS which im fine with

Well.... I switched from an HDD to an SSD, and it only made about a minute difference on my 7 minute loading time. I have yrt to update parallax which may have limited my loading speed. (issue now fixed).

2 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Well.... I switched from an HDD to an SSD, and it only made about a minute difference on my 7 minute loading time. I have yrt to update parallax which may have limited my loading speed. (issue now fixed).

Ok so it does work, just not a lot got it

i take the chance to ask here a related question; I have a 1200 parts spaceship, and of course it lags hugely. but i noticed that the more i play, the more it lags. when i first open ksp and load the spaceship, it takes half a minute. after a while, loading it again takes a couple minutes. if i keep playing, it can take over 10 minutes to load the big spaceship. it lags while i control the spaceship, and it lags worse with time. the only way to revert that is to restart the pc. what would help to make the thing go more smoothly? CPU, RAM, what else?

5 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

i take the chance to ask here a related question; I have a 1200 parts spaceship, and of course it lags hugely. but i noticed that the more i play, the more it lags. when i first open ksp and load the spaceship, it takes half a minute. after a while, loading it again takes a couple minutes. if i keep playing, it can take over 10 minutes to load the big spaceship. it lags while i control the spaceship, and it lags worse with time. the only way to revert that is to restart the pc. what would help to make the thing go more smoothly? CPU, RAM, what else?

KSP has a bit of a memory leak issue, in which it'll use more and more memory over time. Getting more RAM will probably help, but if that's not an option there are workarounds (this hasn't been updated in a while but as far as I can tell it still works).

You could probably try turning your graphics settings all the way down as well, if you haven't already done that.

Nothing. It's memory leaks (and other related things) which does that and, at some point, you're going to swap (using slow hard drive instead of RAM) on disk, which only makes things worse. And I think KSP is bad at releaseing this leaked memory, even after it dies (it might depends on your OS though).

Adding more RAM, will only make the process of filling up the RAM with garbage a bit longer, but nothing can't really be done without a lot of rework on ressource allocation, which can probably be done essentially by Squad (and perhaps Unity, I do not know if their resource alocator and garbage collector are OK), and which is a very absolutely non trivial thing to do.

And since most of the resource needed by the game are physics one, not specially graphics, tuning your graphics down won't help much (the textures and 3D models are quite stable, what's not is all the approximation and computation done for each parts).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.