Leaving the Community

Orbital Velocity

Hello, after a couple of weeks in this community, I was asking others for help in the discord server, because I am new to the game. And when I ask for help because I do not know what the issue is, how to change the code, configs etc. They decide to go off at me. It was hard making this decision but I find most of this community toxic, and therefore I have decided to leave. Goodbye.

Edited by somerandomperson

Hi @somerandomperson,

Moving your post to KSP Network, since it's not about the KSP game itself.

I'm sorry to hear you had an unpleasant experience with someone.  :(  But it wasn't "us."

Of course it's up to you where you choose to go and whom you choose to associate with... but please don't confuse what you saw on some Discord server with the "KSP community".

There is no official KSP Discord.  People can set their own servers up, of course-- but those people aren't any sort of official representative of the community.  The forums here are very different from the experience you describe.  We have rules here against abusive behavior, and a moderator team who take those rules seriously and who act promptly to correct violations.

The KSP forums are a nice, friendly, helpful place, I think you'd find, if you choose to stick around-- you've only made a couple of posts thus far, so you haven't really had a chance to experience it.

So I do hope you'll give the forums a try... but if you choose to go, we're sorry to lose you and wish you the best of luck.

Cheers,
Snark
KSP Forum Moderation Team

I have found  Discord to be toxic in general. The very few Discord servers I've stayed on are the exception, not the rule.

I have no experience with KSP Discord servers because, frankly, this forum is so amazingly awesome I see no reason to look elsewhere.

Stick around and you may find you agree with me.

14 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

I have found  Discord to be toxic in general. The very few Discord servers I've stayed on are the exception, not the rule.

I have no experience with KSP Discord servers because, frankly, this forum is so amazingly awesome I see no reason to look elsewhere.

Stick around and you may find you agree with me.

Well, I might stick around for a while.

While there are some jerks, they are mostly on Reddit and Discord. I've found the KSP forums to be a very positive and encouraging place. Everyone is very nice and very helpful. I've never seen politics or discrimination on here and any jerks are swiftly removed by the moderators. I would recommend leaving Reddit or Discord but staying with the forums. Ask here and people will be willing to carefully walk you through a solution.

I know its up to you but I hope you choose to stay on  the forums.

1 minute ago, Kerminator K-100 said:

While there are some jerks, they are mostly on Reddit and Discord. I've found the KSP forums to be a very positive and encouraging place. Everyone is very nice and very helpful. I've never seen politics or discrimination on here and any jerks are swiftly removed by the moderators. I would recommend leaving Reddit or Discord but staying with the forums. Ask here and people will be willing to carefully walk you through a solution.

I know its up to you but I hope you choose to stay on  the forums.

Thank you, and I have made my decision to stay. 

Hmm... if you're using the Real Plume mod, I think you could get help here:

Else, if it might be a RO issue, maybe here:

As far as I know, RO works with KSP 1.8.1 but not newer versions. What KSP version you're using? 

Not using RO myself, so I can only point you to the respective threads, sorry.

Edited by VoidSquid

34 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

Hmm... if you're using the Real Plume mod, I think you could get help here:

Else, if it might be a RO issue, maybe here:

As far as I know, RO works with KSP 1.8.1 but not newer versions. What KSP version you're using? 

Not using RO myself, so I can only point you to the respective threads, sorry.

I am using 1.8.1

I Really dont get it, Out of 1 year on being in the ksp forum i have never

SEEN PEOPLE BE TOXIC!

ahem, sorry about that.

9 hours ago, Snark said:

There is no official KSP Discord

Yes!, There is no official KSP Discord.

My KSP Discord servers Are:

/r/Kerbalspaceprogram (There community is nice, and there a Discord Partner)

KSP Community (There community is also nice.)

And The rest is

CKAN Official discord server

and

Spacedock Server.

And If There was a toxic thread here in 1 second Poof, Mods have removed it.

13 minutes ago, Miguelsgamingch said:

SEEN PEOPLE BE TOXIC!

ahem, sorry about that.

And The rest is

and

Spacedock Server.

I were in /r/kerbalspaceprogram

Just now, somerandomperson said:

And I’ve been playing KSP for around 1 and a half month. And everytime I ask about something there, the D0m1nu2 guy keeps telling me to do it myself when I have personally no idea how to. And who knows who else does it?

30 minutes ago, somerandomperson said:

Which is also not "official" and is not, as far as I know, maintained by Squad.  Which means that if you're over there in Reddit, you're swimming in the shark-infested waters of the general Internet, which can be... kinda harsh.

The KSP forums are not like Reddit.  We're nicer, here.  It's different.

I'm glad you have decided to stay :D, I own both a reddit, discord, twitter, and youtube account and are parts of the KSP community of each. And I have learned the following:

KSP forums by far is the most welcoming and friendly place I have ever found. That is partially because of a few factors.

1. The Forums moderation team is some of the best I have ever seen. The forums moderation team are some of the best people I have ever talked with.  They are also some of  the most active. Forums kinda has alot of rules that help keep the community free from divisiveness like politics or religion or language. And the moderation on that is also good.

2.The setup of the system. Discord and Reddit are more of a social media, while here on the forums, it's more of a discussion. Now don't get me wrong, I love using discord, but I just find discord to be a place of negativity since the only thing you are seeing is their profile pic and username, and on reddit, you are just seeing ONLY their username. So it makes people not look like people. On forums you get to see a name, a pic, a Location joke, a phrase on the top, and hopefully a decorated signature that kinda helps give personality to someone.

3. Dedication, by far probably the best amount of user dedication to the forums, the forums is the only place where you really connect to game developers for KSP, get to share and challenge others, and so much more. You also just don't need to come here just for help, you can come here to show and tell and discuss.

23 hours ago, Kerminator K-100 said:

The only time it gets political here is if someone mentions metallic hydrogen.

Or the barn

*ducks and runs*

But seriously, welcome to the KSP forums. As Snark says, 

On 1/10/2021 at 4:26 PM, Snark said:

We're nicer, here.  It's different.

... we have cookies

Edited by StrandedonEarth

On 1/10/2021 at 5:40 PM, Miguelsgamingch said:

SEEN PEOPLE BE TOXIC!

ahem, sorry about that.

And The rest is

and

Spacedock Server.

can i get links to those servers?

On 1/10/2021 at 12:23 PM, somerandomperson said:

Well, I might stick around for a while.

From a dude that had some heat in the past (and, frankly, didn't restraint himself from giving the heat back), I can say that this less than desirable problem you had will happen again. However, by staying here, you will "risk" getting some good times too.

There're SAS Moholes :sticktongue: everywhere, and this Forum have its share of it, for sure. However, most of the good guys (or the not so bad ones) usually sticks around way more than the bad ones for a reason: bad people usually gets isolated, because no one likes bad people - including theirselves. And even these "bad people" not rarely has something to share, besides not on an ideal format - searching for the forum, you will realise that some jerks ends up doing good things, and just leaving because of one jerkiness or two ends up preventing you from enjoying the good things he did.

What implies that "bad people" is not the best way of calling them - but give me some slack, it's late hours and my English skills not that best possible :D

There was one guy, John Nash (you may want to watch this movie, by the way, if you like histories about Science and Scientists), and this guy came with a thing called Game Theory. It's not exactly about gaming, but about "negotiation" - that can be seen as a game, after all.

From his many works, one of the most interesting for me is how to cope with a "game" where the gamers don't know each other and, so, can't really establish a reputation, what's essentially what we have here - you don't really know if I'm a guy called Lisias or a dog that learnt to type and impersonated its owner, after all. ;)

And the best strategy for a game with tons of gamers that can't establish a consistent and reliable reputation policy is what is called "Retribution with Forgiveness".

Instead of going bird-for-Tat, where everybody loses the "game", or just being "nice" no matter what they do with you (and so,  you always lose), this strategy says that you start playing nice until someone is nasty to you, when you so give him retribution for some time (while retribution is not necessarily doing to him the same they did to you, remember forum rules, ok?), and you keep doing it until he plays nice to you again. This is the bird-For-Tat. 

BUT... If the other guy ended up being nasty to you by accident, or by a temporary bad moody, once you play nasty to him he can go for bird-for-Tat with you too, and so everybody ends up on a race to the bottom where everybody looses.

And leaving the forum is kinda loosing this game, in a sense. :)

There's a "solution" for this problem, but I think that the link below explains it so beautifully that I just can't find the spirit to try do to it myself. Find 30 minutes to watch this animation, it really worths it.

https://ncase.me/trust/

Edited by Lisias
Tyops! Surprised?

On 1/10/2021 at 8:26 AM, Snark said:

Of course it's up to you where you choose to go and whom you choose to associate with... but please don't confuse what you saw on some Discord server with the "KSP community".

There is no official KSP Discord.  People can set their own servers up, of course-- but those people aren't any sort of official representative of the community. 

Snark hits the head of the nail here. Just because someone with the unofficial discords said/did something rude is no reason to make a assumption that we are toxic. GTAO is toxic, but here, really? As Snark said, there is no real KSP discord, so you encounter fakes (Like that one) and stuff like that happens, or accounts get stolen. 

<snip>

Its not fair to all of us that a good person leaves based upon the actions of a few fakes......

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.