The KSP Caveman Challenge 1.11.x - 1.12.x

JAFO

1 hour ago, Blaarkies said:

After finally picking up the Green monolith on Kerbin, I learned that they unlock tech regardless of the R&D building's level! :0.0:

This means that a caveman can unlock most caveman tech nodes with Kerbin system science, then pickup the 3 Grenoliths in the Kerbin SOI and possibly obtain the Mobile Processing Lab to just farm everything else :huh:
Obviously they can chicken out of :science:270 by letting it unlock 3x :science:90 tech nodes, which was my plan all along...but now this curve ball really complicates that.

All tier 5 nodes have to be unlocked to complete the challenge im guessing, but what about the usage of T6 parts?

uc?id=1ffCL9AjWnpik_IGpeL26ISySd6gLvSRE&

This has come up whenever someone discovers a green monolith. T6 parts are all good, and the T6 with the improved relay antenna is considered to be prime real estate that's basically required for monolith hunting outside Kerbin SOI.

On 1/11/2021 at 12:15 AM, JAFO said:

Challenge Rules:

Use of Green Monoliths to unlock tech nodes is allowed

for the record

Edited by Rakaydos

End of day 1 report (warning: heavy spoilers)

A funny thing happened on my way to

Spoiler

the mountains NE of KSC. I was flying along minding my own business, and I happened upon this place:

VAWST3S.jpg

And best of all...

Spoiler

5HXdFG7.jpg

Which implies that

Spoiler

Each discoverable launch site is now a unique biome.

This should make speedrunning a whole lot easier.

I couldn't acquire any more science in the 10 minutes to hour 6, so at the moment

ydovTvI.jpg

I have 319 science points to go.

Best,

-Slashy

Hour 7 update:

49fdNkT.jpg

I have to travel farther afield to find science. Val took a pit stop on her way to the tundra biome to file the report.

5ouD8Gb.jpg

Still waiting for my Mun probes to enter Munar SOI.

P4YXlWW.jpg

I still need 269 science points to finish the run.

Best,

-Slashy

my NCD run is almost certanly meeting an ignoble end.

It started innocently enough. I'd just unlocked liquid engines, so I thought I had control for an observational contract. Got one that was due east of the KSC, below altitude, just north of the island airstrip. Made it out with plenty of fuel in the tanks, got my flight report, and popped the chutes. And the chutes broke.

The complete destruction of my current rocket, combined with part unlock costs, put me in a bind. I'd completed the study, so I had some money, but not enough to do anything useful. I needed to go big.

Grab the Orbit contract, and use it to afford to complete touching space. Bill went up relatively straight, paid attention to the orbital data to save fuel for entry/descent. Kept my descent speed between 500 and 750m/s though the upper and middle atmo, mostly. Got to safe speeds in the lower atmo, popped them. And the chutes broke again. bill tried for a spaceX soft landing, but I wasnt able to keep the rocket straight AND mess with throttle at the same time, and he splashed down just hard enough to kill the capsule (along with everything else). But I could see that the chutes were breaking because I was too full of fuel, and accelerating past the safe speed. 

Looking at contracts, nothing looked easy to accomplich with the money I had left. But there was a hauling a BACC contract, and with BACC booster, I was pretty sure I could complete the Orbit contract.

Well, bob is in orbit now, with fumes in his tank after a deorbit burn into 200 by 67 km orbit. There's a contract to bring him safely home, which is good because I cant afford another astronaut and he's the last one left. He needs to dead stick through 120% reentry and descent, and hope the chute doesnt explode on him again. But right now he's playing cards as he aerobrakes down to rentry speeds.

unknown.png

Edit: made it through entry, parachute failure in th elower atmosphere. It was safely white, the the moment I pressed the stage key it cycled up through yellow then red. 

Edited by Rakaydos

Behind the scenes, hour 8 (spoiler alert)

Spoiler

I decided to try to "discover" Baikerbanur to see if it gives me a unique biome and spawn point with extended daylight hours.

7qrNZIK.jpg

I've never attempted to do the suborbital targeting with such precision before. It's hard :(

BTiPlMU.jpg

5.4 km away isn't close enough to "discover" it (assuming it's discoverable at all). I think I will try building a glider probe so I can put down right on top of it. If it doesn't pan out... I guess I'll just do something else.

Best,

-Slashy

New NCD run is going a bit smoother.

the science roller was driven efficently enough to get 10 science in a single launch, enough to unlock the barometric sensor instead of basic rocketry. Two more roller launches to clear out KSC (plus shores) of the sort of science I have access to.

Next up is hopper flights to grassland and water, then possibly to the mountains and island airfield.

Grassland and water hopper flights went well, but a contract to haul the swivel to 45 km was too good to pass up.

However, there was one thing I had now that I didn't in previous attempts- radial parachutes and radial drogues. Money was a bit tight, so I stripped science off the flight.

And I made it back. Got another contract to test the hammer at the launch site, and I did it again, for the full 70 km. Then I did it again with science. that frees up both contract slots.

Now I'm sitting on 12.5 science and 14k funds, trying to figure out what's next.

So, I apparently get suborbital tourisim contracts now. Modifying my suborbital rocket for a passanger wasnt too hard, and if I land near the KSC I even move a few hundred funds per flight (plus the Reputation farming). But since I have tourists footing the bills, I aimed some flights at the Highlands and Mountians for science purposes. (drogue chutes are amazing, BTW)

But hey, I've got a rocket that can reach space with a second crew now. And supposedly ladder riding isnt THAT hard...

Adding a structrual piece below the second capsue (with a mirror for balance) got it on the first try. Aero drag is significantly worse going up, but fortunately it helps coming back down, so I was safely dipping into my entry burn fuel.

With Space Over Grassland, I was at 18. With Space over Water, I had... 19.9. Dammit.

Edit: ok, picked up the spare with Splashed down at Shores crew reports, which I apparently missed.

Edited by Rakaydos

And, Got a test the BACC at launchpad contract, tried for high over kerbin science. Got high over kerbin, failed at reentry. Goodby Jeb, goodby reputation farming.

And goodby funds needed to acually meet any of my contracts. This looks like a run ender.

Edited by Rakaydos

Aerodynamics (or, lack of them) are critical for re-entry from high altitudes or high speeds. You need to have a fairly blunt capsule to shave off a lot of the speed and when the chutes deploy, they won't break. I remember a phase of somewhat marginal chute operation. I lowered the altitude and raised the pressure they opened at, to achieve later operation (the altitude is an above-ground-level one, not above-sea-level so it will cope with hilly terrain etc okay). You can often survive even with chute deployment around 800-1500m.

I think I've been getting better at the early game, that I can catch up in a single sitting.

Hoppers to splashed shores, and water get me the thermo, roller for pressure sensor, roller again with the pressure sensor, and a second roller from the launchpad to pick up  the microbiomes my roller route misses (launchpad and crawlerway)

Stitting at about 15 science, with plenty of farmable contracts, I got greedy, and tried to get mountian biome science with a multi stage  solid rocket, using a decoupler contract. Jed ended up going TOO high, and came in nose first, too fast for the drogue chutes.

But, I still had money left. So I bought the rocket science, liquid fuel and tanks, and completed my reaching space science, followed by a VIP flight.

Sitting at 16k funds and 13.7 science. Need mountian and highland science, which I can hopefully pick up with tourist flights.

My cunning plan didn't pan out. While I was able to "discover" my target destination, I was unable to spawn at it afterwards. It does have two unique biomes and is therefore worth flying to, but really all I did was waste 20 minutes for 4 science.

Best,

-Slashy

Edited by GoSlash27

Hour 8 update:

fyR7OJ9.jpg

After wasting 20 minutes faffing about with the spoiler location for a measly 4 points, I'm now 221 points from completion.

fKZetLd.jpg

My first Munar flyby probe has entered the Mun's SoI. I'm hoping to be finished with the run before it returns, but I don't know if that's going to happen now.

Best,

-Slashy

Bob on a "rover" on Minmus! :D 

It is surprisingly easy, and effective...although, time consuming to drive around at 10 m/s. At least there isn't a lot of risk involved. It only took 3 launches:

• the first one had some BACC boosters attached on the launch pad by two trams. And of course Bill had to add struts on after that because of the docking port strut-bug
  • a simple launch to get Bob into orbit outside of a capsule (in one of those 1.25m containers)
  • another launch to get the science base parts in orbit (the orange adaptor in the back)

It already farmed 3 biomes (and a Minmus rock :)), and it still has some fuel to do a few hops if I need to.

I can't get enough about how awesome the Waterfall mod looks! I swear even my framerate is better as well:happy:

Spoiler

uc?id=1cpvApQ3WoE9gQOwQmV8mkNW2CWirkUp2&

uc?id=1g5R9Ew_aEZLfKlIHRSTDY6-m_Acgtzeu&

EDIT: Got it done, farmed 100% of Minmus (or probably 95%, those material bay samples always leave a tiny bit of science out)
It took probably 2-3 IRL hours of rover driving, but it feels longer. Luckily Minmus has a quite smooth surface along the north pole, just be careful going down into the flats. Comparing the total time of this mission, i think this might be faster than hoppers since they require so many fueling missions to get 100% biomes...but you need rover wheels of course

Edited by Blaarkies

Hour 9 update:

1Yvhvgk.jpg

I'm rapidly running out of biomes. Without knowing where all the new hidden launch facilities are (something I'm unwilling to spoil for myself), I don't think there are enough science points left on Kerbin to complete the run without recovering my low Munar probe. Speaking of which...

rCCguBZ.jpg

My low Munar probe will be ready to retroburn in less than 10 minutes. The recovery should be easily enough to close out this run, though it will not be a personal best.

KrXbfSL.jpg

187 points to go.

Best,

-Slashy

4 hours ago, GoSlash27 said:

Without knowing where all the new hidden launch facilities are (something I'm unwilling to spoil for myself),

KerbNet can spot them for you, they will show up as anomalies. Ironically i got frustrated finding them instead of Green Monoliths:joy:
You might need many different probes (or just lots of time with 1 probe) to spot lots of anomalies.

4 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

KerbNet can spot them for you, they will show up as anomalies. Ironically i got frustrated finding them instead of Green Monoliths:joy:
You might need many different probes (or just lots of time with 1 probe) to spot lots of anomalies.

True, but I only have the Octo (6% detection) and I'm trying to speedrun. I'm sure I'll find them all eventually, but not during this caveman run.

Best,

-Slashy

Greetings, fellow Cavemen!  I bring news of new Science back to the Clan!

I've yet to check things enough to be sure if there are any more changes beyond these, but thanks  to @Blasty McBlastblast and @AkatsukiEmpire, I've been informed of new microbiome science.  These are the biomes where the craft (or the Kerbal for the EVA Report) needs to be touching the structure to count as in that microbiome.

First, R&D Main Building appears to now exist in Tier 1 KSC.

Second, the razor thin "Flying Low over...." situation actually exists for microbiomes!  This is easiest to get with a jumping Kerbal for the EVA Report.  I've yet to hear about them for other microbiomes; they may be almost impossible to get as a bouncing craft would have to both barely clear ground contact and touch the structure at the moment the experiment is run.

Edited by Jacke

22 minutes ago, Jacke said:

Greetings, fellow Cavemen!  I bring news of new Science back to the Clan!

I've yet to check things enough to be sure if there are any more changes beyond these, but thanks  to @Blasty McBlastblast and @AkatsukiEmpire, I've been informed of new microbiome science.  These are the biomes where the craft (or the Kerbal for the EVA Report) needs to be touching the structure to count as in that microbiome.

First, R&D Main Building appears to now exist in Tier 1 KSC.

Second, the razor thin "Flying Low over...." situation actually exists for microbiomes!  This is easiest to get with a jumping Kerbal for the EVA Report.  I've yet to hear about them for other microbiomes; they may be almost impossible to get as a bouncing craft would have to both barely clear ground contact and touch the structure at the moment the experiment is run.

The R&D Main Building has existed as a microbiome for quite a long time now, although I remember it being the big building rather than the quonset hut. I'll have to review my science; maybe I'm thinking of something else.

The Island runway is one unique biome while KSC2 (Baikerbinur) is 2 distinct biomes. I don't know about the rest.

Best,

-Slashy

3 hours ago, GoSlash27 said:

The R&D Main Building has existed as a microbiome for quite a long time now, although I remember it being the big building rather than the quonset hut. I'll have to review my science; maybe I'm thinking of something else.

The Island runway is one unique biome while KSC2 (Baikerbinur) is 2 distinct biomes. I don't know about the rest.

Certainly back in KSP 1.6.1, when I did most of my testing, the R&D Main Building was only a microbiome for the Tiers 2 and 3 R&D.  What would become the R&D Main Building was in fact a serious trap in Tier 1, because if a Kerbal ended up on the stairs, they were in "Flying Low...." situation and didn't stand up or walk, nor could I find another way to get them off of the stairs.  Can't remember if I could recover the Kerbal.  (Perhaps a vehicle that could push them?)

In KSP 1.6.1, I also found the existing alternate sites (Baikerbanur, Baikerbanur Launch, Island Airfield) and the Making History sites (Dessert Airfield, Dessert Launch Site, Woomerang Launch Site) were each a minibiome like the ones at KSC.  I included them as extra lines on the KSC page of my Science Checklists.

For KSP 1.12, I'll have to do extensive testing of all of it to confirm things.  I imagine each of the new alternate sites is at least one minibiome.

Edited by Jacke

Jacke,

I thought I was taking crazy pills for a sec...

That corner lab was always accessible as a unique biome at level 1, it was just called "R&D Corner Lab".  I distinctly remember hitting it up during many caveman runs.

So now they've changed the name to "main building"? Or is there now both a "corner lab" and a "main building"?

Best,

-Slashy

41 minutes ago, GoSlash27 said:

That corner lab was always accessible as a unique biome at level 1, it was just called "R&D Corner Lab".  I distinctly remember hitting it up during many caveman runs.

So now they've changed the name to "main building"? Or is there now both a "corner lab" and a "main building"?

In KSP 1.6.1, I checked all the separate structures for all 3 Tiers for each KSC component complex for my Science Checklists.   The R&D Corner Lab existed for R&D Tier 1 and Tier 3, was absent for Tier 2, and was different buildings for 1 and 3.  Here it is for Tier 1.

OI9gv2Z.png

What @Blasty McBlastblast found as the R&D Main Building for Tier 1 was another structure.  You can see the R&D Corner Lab for Tier 1 in the background of his screenshot.

rrFJIVe.png

I'll have to check all the separate structures again.  Also check out whether what became the Tier 2 and 3 R&D Main Building is still the death trap it was in KSP 1.6.1 for R&D Tier 1.

xhkMR52.png

XEQbyIh.png

Edited by Jacke

Hour 10 update:

I have parked my first munar probe in low orbit and collected the science for return. I have also set up the periapsis for my high Mun probe.

I have basically 2 unexplored Kerbin biomes remaining and some diminishing returns from some of the others.

HGcDAgN.jpg

143 points to go.

Best,

-Slashy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.