The KSP Caveman Challenge 1.11.x - 1.12.x

JAFO

2 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

is this challenge even active anymore? i completed my nanodiamond over 6 months ago, but I never got an acknowledgement

My apologies.

You have my attention. I'll review your attempt and get back to you soon. (And no, that's not an "Elon soon".)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Yeah, I'm still waiting for validation on my attempt as well.  Finished end 21/beginning 22.

Oh shoot.. sorry, mate! Thanks for the heads-up!

Will deal with it as fast as I can. I've just spent the last few days setting up a new laptop, as my old one was crapping out. For the record, I've finished reviewing king of nowhere's attempt and will be making his award shortly.

(I'll be travelling on business for the next couple of weeks, but yes, it's really coming.)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new in KSP and decided to make this challenge in my first career play. At first on easy level. I have only 2-3 techs to unlock. Today I made my first rover, my first rocket, my first suborbital and orbital flights (crewed and uncrewed) with some explosions but without deaths. I think, to complete the challenge, I have to build an airplane or I have to go to Mun.

I've finished the talc level. I made the necessary screenshots, I can post them, after someone tells me, how to do it.

My strategy:

- activate the strategy science for contract revenues

- make science on the launchpad and on the runway to unlock more science experiments and do it again

- make some small rocket flights to unlock the rover wheel

- get science with the rover at KSC to unlock the rocket sciences

- make suborbital and orbital flights to unlock the aeronautical sciences

- get the final science points by flying around and landing at some bioms on Kerbin

I think, my vehicles doesn't really follow the caveman philosophy, because they are very close to the parts and size limits, and they use high-tech (for caveman standards). This is, because I'm playing the game for the first time, so I have a lot to learn, and I don't want to be a caveman forever. I think, I have to design new vehicles on the next level, because probably I won't get enough science to build them, when I would need them. But that's the caveman challenge about.

A hugely belated CONGRATULATIONS to @king of nowhere for his completion of the Nano-Crystalline-Diamond challenge! Additionally, for your outstanding voyage to the Jool system and back, you have been awarded with the Order of the Trilobite

The cave wall at the beginning of this thread has now been updated with your name and a link to your challenge thread. Your name has also been added to the list of recipients of the Order of the Trilobite.

Badges for your awards will appear in your inbox shortly. Wear them with pride!

On 3/9/2023 at 8:43 AM, DennisB said:

I'm new in KSP and decided to make this challenge in my first career play. At first on easy level. I have only 2-3 techs to unlock. Today I made my first rover, my first rocket, my first suborbital and orbital flights (crewed and uncrewed) with some explosions but without deaths. I think, to complete the challenge, I have to build an airplane or I have to go to Mun.

Welcome, and congratulations on taking on the Caveman Challenge!

3 hours ago, DennisB said:

I think, my vehicles doesn't really follow the caveman philosophy, because they are very close to the parts and size limits, and they use high-tech (for caveman standards).

That's all good.. if they're going to succeed, cavemen need to push the parts and size limits as hard as possible. As for "high tech", well, you're still limited by what parts are available without any facility upgrades, so that's fine too.

On 2/20/2023 at 3:22 PM, Scarecrow71 said:

Yeah, I'm still waiting for validation on my attempt as well.  Finished end 21/beginning 22.

Your name and a link to your Apatite challenge attempt have now been added to the cave wall on the first page of this thread. A very belated congratulations!

I realise that you've already added your badge to your sig, but if you'd like a more high-res copy, just let me know.

3 hours ago, DennisB said:

Here are the screenshots for validation

Congratulations, @DennisB!

It gives me great pleasure to bestow upon you the Talc award for completing the Caveman Challenge in Easy Career Mode!

Your name has been carved on the cave wall on page one of this thread, and your badge will be your inbox shortly.

Ooga Booga!

26 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Congratulations, @DennisB!

It gives me great pleasure to bestow upon you the Talc award for completing the Caveman Challenge in Easy Career Mode!

Your name has been carved on the cave wall on page one of this thread, and your badge will be your inbox shortly.

Ooga Booga!

Thank you for the award. I will continue on the next level soon.

I've started on apatite level.

The start was nearly the same as last time. I took the time to optimize my KSC science harvester rover.

Spoiler

CYNhv35.jpg

I think, the next time I have to think more about my science strategy. I didn't make a new plane, so I wanted to go to Mun, but realized, that I don't have ferrings. So I started to complete contracts. After my science probe for high Kerbin orbit had some dV left, I took a contract for an engine test at Kerbin escape. Now I have my first deep space probe, but because it was unplanned, it had only the small antenna on board, so I couldn't transmit science data from interplanetary space.

I also accepted a contract as a challenge, to place a satellite in a specified orbit. That was a successful mission &)

Spoiler

pb1eQf3.jpg

9xELh6u.jpg

zU1XXIk.jpg

On the way to Mun.

Spoiler

GBS18jv.jpg

The first probe made only a fly-by, because the solar panels didn't have sunlight. The second one transmitted the science data successfully as planned, but as I made correction maneuvers, I lost connection while engine burn, so it ended in a Mun impact.

I think, everyone made such mistakes at the beginning, I see it as part of the learning process.

With the recent unlocked technologies I will try to make a better rocket for a returning probe or maybe a crewed fly-by to Mun.

Only 400 science points to get to the finish.

2 hours ago, DennisB said:

I've started on apatite level.

That's excellent news!

2 hours ago, DennisB said:

The first probe made only a fly-by, because the solar panels didn't have sunlight. The second one transmitted the science data successfully as planned, but as I made correction maneuvers, I lost connection while engine burn, so it ended in a Mun impact.

I think, everyone made such mistakes at the beginning, I see it as part of the learning process.

Indeed, we all have. The upside to you being new to KSP is, by the time you have a few Caveman Challenges under your belt, you'll be a far more capable player than those newbies who immediately go the "lots of mods to make things easier" route!

On 3/12/2023 at 10:15 PM, DennisB said:

With the recent unlocked technologies I will try to make a better rocket for a returning probe or maybe a crewed fly-by to Mun.

I was happy about the discovery, but I realized soon, that my concept doesn't give a benefit with the part and weight limit. So, what does a caveman do, if he can't do a better rocket with a new technology? He makes a more powerful rocket with the old parts :cool:. The new rocket doesn't have as good handling as the old one, but it was enough to send a science probe with all experiments to a Mun fly-by and bring it back, and also to interplanetary space and back. I think, it's powerful enough to land on Minmus and get home, if I get the maneuvers right. The crewed version reached only high Kerbin orbit, I don't know if it could reach Mun without science experiments, because that mission wasn't necessary.

Spoiler

Deep Space 3 arriving at Kerbin after visiting interplanetary space.

M47dmmj.png

9jcCvVR.jpg

CDyesGW.jpg

Apatite level completed.

Spoiler

CyVvsi6.jpg

VYgh2YR.jpg

q4or3Nd.jpg

GQPAncO.jpg

a0JF4WY.jpg

RINsnpN.jpg

MpNj0O2.jpg

In this round I didn't use an airplane, but I will need one on the next level. On Kerbin I got science only at KSC and where I landed after the missions. This time I took instead of the science for money the science for reputation strategy, but it's not as good, as the other one.

Completed vanadium level too.

Spoiler

agEHmG3.jpg

685vPd5.jpg

QMbyE0R.jpg

ywIQxDi.jpg

OrgYuu8.jpg

PvbSSaP.jpg

Aq1wK5j.jpg

After the first two, this was quite easy. I did nearly the same, as last time. I only made a new rover, because I used it before I had the rover wheels, so I mounted two jet engines on it in opposite directions, and I grabbed the science also from the buildings, not only from the KSP areas.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.