Why my vessel crash before reentry finishes?

33 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

I wouldn't recommend that. In general, avoid any non-smooth transitions in diameter, they are killing aerodynamics and cost a huge amount of dv during ascend.

Here's a cheap (costs just 13k) little orbiter for 3 Kerbals which has no issues with reentry:

Kerbal-Space-Program-2021-01-11-12-56-48

You can download the craft file here https://easyupload.io/tdfgm7

Mines was 14.223k for 4 kerbals

39 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

I wouldn't recommend that. In general, avoid any non-smooth transitions in diameter, they are killing aerodynamics and cost a huge amount of dv during ascend.

Here's a cheap (costs just 13k) little orbiter for 3 Kerbals which has no issues with reentry:

Kerbal-Space-Program-2021-01-11-12-56-48

You can download the craft file here https://easyupload.io/tdfgm7

I have to say it's very good, but it is not reusuable (mines isn't too) and too expensive for a people like me who is trying to get huge amount of funds (i only have 1mil right now). I am making a reusuable one (The upcoming what I call the Falcon 0, Falcon 0a, Falcon 0b) that lands via parachutes. However, many of the parts inside I haven't unlock it yet

I am uploading my ship via kerbalx

When I did passenger flights, they always made a profit (I think?). In the early stages, it pays to keep it simple and light. I tried reusable stuff but the problem was, once detached, even with a parachute, KSP doesn't track it or model it properly and it will just disappear or crash.

40 minutes ago, Anonymous49 said:

I am making a reusuable one

Regarding stage recovery, two notes:

Keep in mind that KSP only calculates physics in a radius of 2.5km around your actual vessel. In other words, if you say drop the 1st stage boosters at 12km altitude, and your main rocket continues to accelerate, it will be only seconds until the dropped boosters are out of physics range, and the game will automatically destroy them (everything not active below 25km altitude is auto-deleted). There are though mods for stage recovery, namely this

It's usually not worth your time to recover spent stages, in the time required for that, you can earn more money doing missions/contracts. If you're enjoying to recover stages, perfectly fine, if your focus is funds, better leave it be. :) 

Edited by VoidSquid

2 hours ago, Anonymous49 said:

Now I have the prograde and retrograde markers up, what is next?

Go for da Mun!

8 hours ago, Anonymous49 said:

I wanted to earn some money before I start to do my mun flyby.

If You can send so many tourist in orbit You can take fuel instead and go Mun.

Edited by vv3k70r

11 hours ago, paul_c said:

When I did passenger flights, they always made a profit (I think?). In the early stages, it pays to keep it simple and light. I tried reusable stuff but the problem was, once detached, even with a parachute, KSP doesn't track it or model it properly and it will just disappear or crash.

just add a stayputink on top of the booster

10 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

Issue resolved then? Or can we help any further?

srry i need to sleep, now it is 8:08 am im ready to do it again

10 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

But the other one works.

Frugality is great and all but it's gotta get the job done.

well ya but then i need to make it grind myself funds

download my craft here https://kerbalx.com/Anonymous49/tour-orbital

i don't think there is problem with the  craft, i think it is me controlling problem. I think the first try I pointed to retrograde but the second try i pointed to prograde i guess

Edited by Anonymous49

24 minutes ago, Anonymous49 said:

just add a stayputink on top of the booster

Won't work, see above:

11 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

Keep in mind that KSP only calculates physics in a radius of 2.5km around your actual vessel. In other words, if you say drop the 1st stage boosters at 12km altitude, and your main rocket continues to accelerate, it will be only seconds until the dropped boosters are out of physics range, and the game will automatically destroy them (everything not active below 25km altitude is auto-deleted).

Just now, VoidSquid said:

Won't work, see above:

I tried that, just make it a probe and it will work

in sandbox, since i had a falcon 0 booster falling and it went bye bye. So I added a stayputink and the game thought that i was landing a unmanned probe so it didn't delete it, i also checked scott manley's video and he did the same thing

you can try flying mines in https://kerbalx.com/Anonymous49/tour-orbital. Try it out. Immediately after liftoff, pitch it east and hit the prograde marker. Get a apogee of ~71km. Then wait until the perigee is 70km. When that happens, immediately point to the retrograde marker and let it reenter and that is where i got the problem

did u throttle the center core down? I would suggest using a liquid fuel core since it burns longer. I used 4 boosters while you used 2 btw.  But that is not a problem. You added an mk16 parachute, Useless and expensive (for me). I used a drogue parachute, cheaper. Yours is cheaper but only ship 2 tourists. I'd suggest you adding one more crew cabin on the bottom, thanks!

https://imgur.com/a/0xgSfDb

which  one shall i get next?

19 hours ago, Anonymous49 said:

did u throttle the center core down?

Both, the radial SRBs (1st stage), and the core SRB are throttled down a bit, gives me a better (=more fuel efficient) gravity turn.

I would suggest using a liquid fuel core since it burns longer

Might be, but it's cheaper with the SRB. Important is the dv budget, not how long a stage lasts. The 3 SRBs get the thing up to 30 km, then the Terrier kicks in with almost max. ISP (344 of 345 s)

Useless and expensive (for me). I used a drogue parachute, cheaper

Could totally change that, yes. Never been fond of using drogue chutes though, just a personal preference, no particular reason. :) 

EDIT: well, thinking about, there is a reason: my craft slows down to below 300 m/s naturally/the way I built it, hence there is no need to have/use a drogue chute. Three "normal" chutes though do give me a slower touch down speed than one drogue plus two normal ones.
Beg your pardon, but that's what I had instinctively done, not even thinking about it.

I'd suggest you adding one more crew cabin on the bottom

And then I would end up with just an unstable and too fast reentry like your rocket, which was what made you open this thread in the first place, wasn't it? ;) 

Limiting to 1.25 m parts, I think I would probably go for something like this:

Kerbal-Space-Program-2021-01-12-02-43-48

Twice the surface area -> much better for breaking speed.

Edited by VoidSquid

That one is in my "update pending" list for a looonnnnng while, but is suppose to still work . Granted is not the best looking craft out there, but simple,  cheap, easy to use and effective it is. feel free to use or reverse engineer it.

The key idea is: craft want to go heavy part first while in atmosphere. In your craft and also mine that means the command pod with the parachutes attached, Rather than fight it, I let it happen. Also I  present the blunt draggy end to the airflow which allow for it slowdown nicely.

Another low-tech solution is to have an open service bay acting as a improvised air-brake,. Also, try to not get much higher than you need to be (a 71x71km orbit is more than enough to complete the contract) and for the return just lower your periapsis to about the ground level. 

Finally, let me echo that bit there:

12 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

It's usually not worth your time to recover spent stages, in the time required for that, you can earn more money doing missions/contracts. If you're enjoying to recover stages, perfectly fine, if your focus is funds, better leave it be. :) 

More often than not, 'wasting' some Funds to save Time and Effort is a very good deal. 

1 hour ago, Anonymous49 said:

I usually go to the bottom part of the tech tree on that stage. More experiments -> more science. Plus: batteries are really really useful!

10 minutes ago, Spricigo said:

That one is in my "update pending" list for a looonnnnng while, but is suppose to still work

If it get's the job done for a reasonable amount of cash, then it's a good rocket. :)

Edited by VoidSquid

Thanks guys, I got my job done. That is because I wasn't facing retrograde LOL.

17 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

I usually go to the bottom part of the tech tree on that stage. More experiments -> more science. Plus: batteries are really really useful!

If it get's the job done for a reasonable amount of cash, then it's a good rocket. :)

so does that mean i should get "electrics"?

17 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

my craft FINALLY reached orbit and came back down safely. Download my freaking cheap craft here.

Note: The flight is super short, what took a long time is PARACHUTING

11 minutes ago, Anonymous49 said:

so does that mean i should get "electrics"?

I'd do that, yes.

3 minutes ago, Anonymous49 said:

what took a long time is PARACHUTING

You could adjust the altitude at which your chutes do open, but you know that. :) 

3 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

I'd do that, yes.

You could adjust the altitude at which your chutes do open, but you know that. :) 

I don't really care about time though, just telling you that parachutes take a loooong time for my craft. Don't cut the drogue chute btw. But I think you know that

1 hour ago, Anonymous49 said:

As a general rules:

•  Science First (as @VoidSquidsuggested). Is often a good idea to even 'rush' a more expensive node if it unlock science instruments)
  • New parts before bigger parts. E.g: you can use multiple smaller crew parts instead of a bigger crew part

Among the 90 science points node  I'd prioritize:

1. Electrics (solar panels, okto probecore)
  2. Miniaturization (jr docking port)
  3. Advanced Construction (fairing)
  4. Fuel Systems (Fuel duct and fuel crossfeed)
  5. Propulsion Systems (tiny engines)

In that order.  That goes well with my preference for  satellites and the eventual station for funding at that stage of the game.yyou may prefer to do something else and in that case some other nodes may be more useful.

29 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

Well, I suppose it is a good rocket then.

The problem is that it becomes obsolete too quickly. With a couple of launches one get enough funds to do a Mun/Minmus mission. which is enough to unlock the parts for a more capable' excursion bus' or the nodes for station/satellites. 

Download the reusuable craft here

How to launch it:

T-10 seconds Turn on SAS

T-5 seconds Throttle up until you reached full throttle

T+0 seconds Liftoff!

Note: No gravity turns, just point it straight up

~T+2 minutes Stage Seperation (Booster seperates from ship)

~T+2:30 switch focus to booster, make sure the parachutes are cyan in colour

~T+2:45 switch focus back to ship, click on retrograde and wait for it to reenter the kerbin atmosphere.

~T+3:00 When the parachute colour is red, hit space, it should turn cyan. It would automatically deploy soon or later

~T+3:15 Switch focus to booster, make sure the parachutes deploy.

keep on switching focus until you cannot. Make sure all 3 drogue chutes and 6 main chutes deployed (1 drogue chute in the ship and 2 in the booster) (2 main chutes in the ship and 4 in the booster)

~T+8:30 When both of the probes hit the ground, recover both of them

A expendable Falcon 0 would cost 8885. But that also means that only 2598 funds would come back. 6287 gone.

A reusuable Falcon 0 would cost a bit more (11085). But only 789 is gone. That's the Liquid fuel, Oxidizer and the ~20km distance from Kerbal Space Center

And the payload stays the same

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.