Potential Set List

Popestar

So, I started playing the guitar about 2.5 years ago, and I've gotten to be ok.  I'm more of a hack than anything else; I don't have a whole lot of songs committed to memory, but with a mobile device and an internet connection, I can look stuff up and fake my way through songs.  I've been extremely fortunate that I've got several friends who are musicians, and with their help and encouragement - as well as their letting me come up on stage and play with them (before the pandemic) - I've gotten over my stage fright and I have confidence in myself in playing.  Even when I have a bad day of practice, I still know I'm better today than I was yesterday.

Anyhow, what's the point of this?  Well, I'm starting to plan for the end of the pandemic and for when we can get back on stage again.  I miss hosting karaoke, and I miss playing in front of people.  And while I will have more chances to get on stage with my friends when I go see them play (Chris is always like "Hey, let's get some of our talented friends up here to play and sing"), I am starting to think about doing my own solo gig once or twice to see how it goes.  In addition to having friends that are musicians, we (my wife and I) have friends who own their own businesses here in Vegas.  One restaurant, one coffee shop.  So when this all blows over, I am going to ask them about letting me do a 3-hour set some random day to see how it goes.  No pay, except maybe a cup of coffee or some lemonade.  And to that end, I'm starting to prepare a potential set list of stuff to play.  And I'd like the opinion of the community on this:

Cat's in the Cradle Cat Stevens
Anything But Mine Kenny Chesney
The Way Fastball
Beer For My Horses Toby Keith
Margaritaville Jimmy Buffet
Rockstar Nickelback
Wonderwall Oasis
Achy Breaky Heart Billy Ray Cyrus
Take It Easy The Eagles
Every Rose Has Its Thorn Poison
Act Naturally The Beatles
Blue on Black Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Can't You See Marshall Tucker Band
Copperhead Road Steve Earle
Goodbye Says It All Blackhawk
John Deere Green Joe Diffie
Keep Your Hands To Yourself Georgia Satellites
Neon Moon Brooks and Dunn
Let Her Cry Hootie and the Blowfish
Otherside Red Hot Chili Peppers
Picture Kid Rock
Sundown Gordon Lightfoot
Used To Love Her Guns and Roses
Wagon Wheel Darius Rucker
What's Up 4 Non Blondes
My Hometown Charlie Robison
I Saw Her Standing There The Beatles
Refugee Tom Petty
Good Riddance Green Day
Rainy Day Women 12 and 35 Bob Dylan
Past The Point of Rescue Hal Ketchum

I'm going for not only a decent mix of rock and country, but I wanted to get some sing-a-longs in there.  You know, stuff people are familiar with and can sing along with while enjoying their lunch or that cup of coffee I mentioned earlier.  I figure 3 hours is a good place to start; it would break down as an 80 minute set, 20 minute break, and an 80 minute set.  I wanted to get enough stuff in there that if people stuck around long enough, they wouldn't hear the same stuff twice.

So what do people think?  Anything in there that, if you were in the crowd, you wouldn't want to hear?  Anything you would want to hear that isn't in there?  Considering I've got probably 5 months to plan and learn stuff, I'm game for whatever your thoughts are!

55 minutes ago, Popestar said:

Anything in there that, if you were in the crowd, you wouldn't want to hear? 

I'm no musician by any means, but I'd guess it's pretty much irrelevant what we think. You should read the crowd and play what they react to, so you'd probably be wise to scout out the location beforehand to see what type of patrons they get.

I may be showing my prejudice here and stereotype a bit, but some of these songs I'd expect in Texas. Are Las Vegans (is that what you guys call yourselves?) county lovers?

That being said, those are nice songs.

Edited by Shpaget

38 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

I'm no musician by any means, but I'd guess it's pretty much irrelevant what we think. You should read the crowd and play what they react to, so you'd probably be wise to scout out the location beforehand to see what type of patrons they get.

I may be showing my prejudice here and stereotype a bit, but some of these songs I'd expect in Texas. Are Las Vegans (is that what you guys call yourselves?) county lovers?

That being said, those are nice songs.

The crowd I run with loves a decent mix of rock and country, so while I can't speak for everybody in the valley, the crowds I've run in to like the mix.

You are right about reading the crowd.  The list I put forth is stuff I know how to play (mostly), and it's neither too heavy nor too soft.  I figured it would be decent enough to either get no reaction from the crowd while they are eating OR get a positive one.  A negative reaction...that's a different story altogether.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.