Science

1 minute ago, paul_c said:

You probably weren't paying attention and used large changes in velocity which dropped the Pe below 70,250m, then once its in the atmosphere the drag sent it down.

You'll need to achieve (approximately) the orbit asked for, to fulfil a satellite contract. There is a bit of leeway on the exact numbers. DO NOT assume they're going to be low orbits - I've seen things asked for past the moon and beyond!

"space around kerbin"

1 minute ago, Anonymous49 said:

i brought my satellite up and logged my thermometer, got 0 science, transmitted that, boom! contract completed

i only used 1 satellite for that, 2 contracts completed

Yes, a satellite with a thermometer will pay for itself over and over on "science from xxxx" contracts. They are very handy and quick to do once you have the right stuff in the right place (eg surface of Mun, surface of Minmus, etc too). A variation is "crew report in flight over area xxxxx" too (the area will be marked on the map) but these are probably going to require a reposition to pass over the spot.

"space around kerbin"

I'm talking about satellite contracts (unmanned probe) - you might not have seen them yet.

The science ones are "space around Kerbin"

Just now, paul_c said:

Yes, a satellite with a thermometer will pay for itself over and over on "science from xxxx" contracts. They are very handy and quick to do once you have the right stuff in the right place (eg surface of Mun, surface of Minmus, etc too). A variation is "crew report in flight over area xxxxx" too (the area will be marked on the map) but these are probably going to require a reposition to pass over the spot.

then i had a same contract when i went back to the space center, just switched to the satellite and did the same thing, finished contract

and now i accepted 6 of the same contract, ready to "steal" the science

and boom! all 6 finished

and now i accepted 10

i have 200 science, what shall i do (after finishing the 10 contracts)

9 minutes ago, paul_c said:

I'm talking about satellite contracts (unmanned probe) - you might not have seen them yet.

The science ones are "space around Kerbin"

oh ok, but they give zero science

12 minutes ago, Anonymous49 said:

i have 200 science, what shall i do (after finishing the 10 contracts)

Have a look at the contracts which you are declining to do and figure out what you need to fulfil them. More flying skills? Certain components you don't own yet? A bigger/better rocket?

Some of the branches of the tree don't seem that useful and some are essential for progress. For example, 'earning' enough for a science lab will open the gateway to loads more science (I earned 900 science from launching one into Kerbin orbit - researched experiments are additional to transmitted or recovered instruments etc and reward very well).

9 hours ago, Popestar said:

You might want to switch this for the FL-T200.  With the 400 you might end up wasting fuel once you get into the orbit you're looking for.

Actually sticking with the FL-T100 would be enough for a  satellite capable of completing the most basic contract of the type. Since it would also mean a smaller (and cheaper) launch vehicle the cost would be way down.

However the extra deltaV is not a waste, since it allow for the completion of more contracts (either extra deployment contracts accepted before launch or repositioning contracts offered later). So, is trade off, higher initial cost for higher income per launch.

In any case, the craft itself is not that important. The idea is to explain what I feel is important and  the considerations I do while designing a craft.  Mind you, it's not the while story, there is some details decided by personal preference and other nuances, but trying to explain that could cause more confusion than help new players trying to figure out what would work for them.

40 minutes ago, Anonymous49 said:

when I just built it my satellite costs 1880

Quite hard to believe, when my bare bones stellite, made with cheaper and lighter parts, cost more than this. 

23 minutes ago, Spricigo said:

Actually sticking with the FL-T100 would be enough for a  satellite capable of completing the most basic contract of the type. Since it would also mean a smaller (and cheaper) launch vehicle the cost would be way down.

However the extra deltaV is not a waste, since it allow for the completion of more contracts (either extra deployment contracts accepted before launch or repositioning contracts offered later). So, is trade off, higher initial cost for higher income per launch.

In any case, the craft itself is not that important. The idea is to explain what I feel is important and  the considerations I do while designing a craft.  Mind you, it's not the while story, there is some details decided by personal preference and other nuances, but trying to explain that could cause more confusion than help new players trying to figure out what would work for them.

Quite hard to believe, when my bare bones stellite, made with cheaper and lighter parts, cost more than this. 

not containing the fairing, the decoupler and the rocket

1x okto

2x smallest not extended solar panels (i don't know what is name)

1x z-100 battery

1x commotron-16

1x thermometer

and also for my upcoming missions i need a 32 symmetry node

Intruigued, I fired up KSP and this is the cheapest practical satellite I could slim it down to:

KSP%20Image%20035.png

Its £2885 including the decoupler (which you'll need!) I've included the thermometer which is relatively expensive at £900. Notice it has 2 deployable solar panels. Using 1 panel, or fixed panels, will mean that probably at some stage in life it will be shaded and lose power/go dead. It will create a chicken-egg situation because without power, you can't reach it to move it out of shading the panel! Been there!

This is slightly more expensive but flatter, handy if you're stacking loads of satellites or its on top of an already-tall other payload for another mission/contract (or you could side-mount it).

KSP%20Image%20037.png

13 minutes ago, Anonymous49 said:

1x okto

2x smallest not extended solar panels (i don't know what is name)

1x z-100 battery

1x commotron-16

1x thermometer

and also for my upcoming missions i need a 32 symmetry node

You'll need a fuel tank and engine. Even if you placed it exactly in the right spot, decoupling will ping it off the planned orbit!

10 minutes ago, paul_c said:

Intruigued, I fired up KSP and this is the cheapest practical satellite I could slim it down to:

Nice designs and good explanation of the reasoning for it too.

My later example is quite the same, just don't have an instrument(adding thermometer&barometer would have negligible impact in performance) and uses fixed solar panels in 3x symmetry (never ended in the shadow with me, but I suppose it could  happen).

31 minutes ago, Anonymous49 said:

How much it costs with that included?

26 minutes ago, paul_c said:

You'll need a fuel tank and engine. Even if you placed it exactly in the right spot, decoupling will ping it off the planned orbit!

Given the tolerance, and if you set decouple force to minimum, it may be good enough.

However, there is little benefit in not keeping the engine with whatever fuel is left.

In theory a satellite with fixed panels on (if you imagine its a cube) 4/6 faces could find itself "end-on" with the sun. And because of where the ecliptic plane is, and that prograde/retrograde maneouvers are common....its actually a 50% chance for those! I am not sure if KSP interprets a slim edge/angle as "direct sunlight" though, if it does then its probably very unlikely to strand you. 

29 minutes ago, paul_c said:

its actually a 50% chance for those!

Nope.

Consider a sphere around the satellite, from how much of that sphere a solar panel cannot be seen?

For a single panel you are correct, there is an entire hemisphere the panel cannot be seenm

2 panel in opposite sides reduces it to a narrow circular band.

3 panels reduce to 2 spots "above" and "below"

4 panels (tetrahedral disposition) eliminate the blind spot altogether.

Now, those are the chances to be in the shadow at a given moment. Expand a slight chance, let's say 1%, to dozen maneuvers of hundreds of crafts and it starts to seem more like a sure occurrence than a manegable risk.q

to the mun! completing a mun flyby (without the contract)

In the end it's up to you.

But I suggest to only orbit the mun, then go to Minmus to orbit and land there. (Minmus is slightly harder to reach and much easier to land.)

2 minutes ago, Anonymous49 said:

i need to load my SECOND quicksav

No can do. Your last quicksave overwrites it.

2 minutes ago, Anonymous49 said:

i need to load my SECOND quicksav

No can do. Your last quicksave overwrites it.

You can try look in the folder \Kerbal Space Program\saves\yourgamename\backup those are automatic saves. But you those may be quite old and you will lose the progress.

So, what happened? It is possible that dealing with the consequences turn out to be the lesser of two evils.

On 1/13/2021 at 2:52 AM, Anonymous49 said:

So how to get good science or what I call get mun flyby contracts. I really need science right now

You spend money You get on everything else to run Your own mission for science.

On 1/13/2021 at 5:16 AM, Anonymous49 said:

I am waiting for the contract to show up.

You are not employee, You run a bussines - do not wait for orders. Go for what You need.

On 1/13/2021 at 1:07 PM, Anonymous49 said:

it is okto, but the okto have no prograde tags

You do not need them. Run manualy on markers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.