MEV Heavy Industries - Daedalus drives, Bussard drives and Epstein drives

Cyne

MEV Heavy Industries

Parts.png

This mod is a small collection of parts that I've made to use alongside KSPIE parts, since I've been irritated at how some of the engines look (Daedalus, Bussard and Epstein drive)
Currently includes a Daedalus Drive, Bussard drive and two Epstein drives (5m and 2.5m)

A few screenshots I've taken [With excessive modding]:

Spoiler

Screenshot_5944.png
Screenshot_5920.png

Since this is the first mod that I'm posting on the forums, any suggestions will be highly appreciated!

Compatibility:
I've made a patch for KSPIE that should place the parts in a suitable tech node when KSPIE is installed.
Dependencies:
Although this isn't a hard dependency, for the Bussard and Daedalus engines to work you'll need modded resources (FusionPellets and LH2).  Any mod that includes these resources are fine, but I suggest Interstellar fuel switch. The Epstein Drive uses LF/O so it should be fine.

Download

License:

Spoiler

Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0)
88x31.png

Edited by Cyne

40 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Looks very cool!

Might I suggest using Waterfall for the plumes? I think there are some templates that would work well with these engines.

That's what I originally intended to do but I couldn't get the plumes to work. I'll keep trying though :D

Unless you want to make KSPIE a requirement, you need to change this to other tech nodes

// Patches for CommunityTechTree
@PART[BussardFusion]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
	@TechRequired = extremeFusionRockets
}
@PART[EpsteinDrive]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}
@PART[EpsteinDriveV4]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}
@PART[DaedalusDrive]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
	@TechRequired = specializedFusionRockets
}

These technodes are only present in KSPIE which will result these part not to be visible when KSPIE is not installed

Edited by FreeThinker

13 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Unless you want to make KSPIE a requirement, you need to change this to other tech nodes

// Patches for CommunityTechTree
@PART[BussardFusion]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}
@PART[EpsteinDrive]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}
@PART[EpsteinDriveV4]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
}
@PART[DaedalusDrive]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
	@TechRequired = specializedFusionRockets
}

These technodes are only present in KSPIE which will result these part not to be visible when KSPIE is not installed

I've updated the mod so that it's now ":NEEDS[WarpPlugin]" instead of  ":NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]" and it should hopefully be fine now. 
Damn that's kind of a embrassing mistake...

Well, this MOD is great!!!
It has solved the issue of creating huge ships, allowing a mature exploration of the Kerbol system, with crew.
Quickly, I created a simple ship with modules I had in place and performed a round-trip test on Muna.
With this engineering, you can now have small, maneuverable ships that don't "destroy" CP resources.
I used the Smaller Epstein Drive, and the fuel consumption was not noticed, what's more, my Venier consume more LOX (Note: Remove vernier, reaction wheels only)
If I noticed that at the time of power on, the power indicators are reset to zero, I do not know if it will be a conflict with any mod that I have installed.   

screenshot0.png

screenshot1.png

screenshot2.png

screenshot3_l.jpg

screenshot4.png

screenshot5.png

Note that the manufacturer icon does not appear on the VAB.

screenshot6.png

The big challenge now is to try to get to Eeloo in less than an hour in real time, in the style of "The Expanse", the engines powered on all the time.... 

19 minutes ago, dprostock said:

The big challenge now is to try to get to Eeloo in less than an hour in real time, in the style of "The Expanse", the engines powered on all the time.... 

Persistent Thrust might help, I didn't play with the mod too much to see if it behaves properly, but give it a try!

Edited by Karin

11 minutes ago, Karin said:

Persistent Thrust might help, I didn't play with the mod too much to see if it behaves properly, but give it a try!

If I'm getting the Mod right, it allows you to survive a multi-hour engine ignition, without perishing in the attempt (like using xenon).
Here the topic would be quite different, because you have to make course corrections continuously and calculate the time of the reverse to decrease the speed before the encounter and not pass at full speed like New Horizont with Pluto...
A form of Mechjeb with continuous burn changing course every second.....

On 1/15/2021 at 5:34 PM, dprostock said:

If I'm getting the Mod right, it allows you to survive a multi-hour engine ignition, without perishing in the attempt (like using xenon).
Here the topic would be quite different, because you have to make course corrections continuously and calculate the time of the reverse to decrease the speed before the encounter and not pass at full speed like New Horizont with Pluto...
A form of Mechjeb with continuous burn changing course every second.....

Calculations of the Brachistochrone curves is what's needed. Someone might already have done the code for this. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brachistochrone_curve

Edited by Montieth

41 minutes ago, Montieth said:

Calculations of the Brachistochrone curves is what's needed. Someone might already have done the code for this. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brachistochrone_curve

Yep!

continuous burning in prograde with continuous course correction to the target, determination of the exact moment to start the backward rotation with continuous burning and continuous correction for the encounter with the objective....
Other than the Apollo navigation computer...

19 hours ago, dprostock said:

Why not atmosphere in ver 1.02????

I originally made the Epstein Drives work in atmospheres since I assumed that they worked in atmospheres according to the Book/Show but turns out they actually used the RCS to land in atmospheric planets (Somehow). Thought that having it be able to work in atmospheres was stupid so I changed it, but if you want it to work in atmospheres you can just edit the config file for the engines

29 minutes ago, Cyne said:

I originally made the Epstein Drives work in atmospheres since I assumed that they worked in atmospheres according to the Book/Show but turns out they actually used the RCS to land in atmospheric planets (Somehow). Thought that having it be able to work in atmospheres was stupid so I changed it, but if you want it to work in atmospheres you can just edit the config file for the engines

Rcs?! They must not be the same as we use here, nor a Pof-Pof with such force.
Trying to keep us in a "reality", because from what I have seen, the ships have some atmospheric capabilities, it would not be so bad to enable the possibility of operating, since there is, at least in the simulator, another method of similar features to complete it.
For my part, I'm going to reactivate it. 
Thanks a lot!

Any other ways I can help? Some kind of test you need?

1 minute ago, dprostock said:

Rcs?! They must not be the same as we use here, nor a Pof-Pof with such force.
Trying to keep us in a "reality", because from what I have seen, the ships have some atmospheric capabilities, it would not be so bad to enable the possibility of operating, since there is, at least in the simulator, another method of similar features to complete it.
For my part, I'm going to reactivate it. 
Thanks a lot!

Any other ways I can help? Some kind of test you need?

No problem! And I'm pretty sure the mod's fine for now, unless there's yet another embarassing mistake somewhere in the mod. 

Help!

I'm having some problems with the mod which I'm going to comment on:

Start with the following list of Mod installed:

Spoiler

ABookCase Orbital Reference System (ABCORS 0.5.1.2)
AT Utils (AT-Utils v1.9.6)
BonVoyage (BonVoyage 1:1.2.0)
BreakingGround-DLC (BreakingGround-DLC (unmanaged))
Chatterer (Chatterer 0.9.99)
Chatterer Extended (ChattererExtended 0.6.2)
ClickThrough Blocker (ClickThroughBlocker 1:0.1.10.15)
Community Category Kit (CommunityCategoryKit v5.2.0.0)
Distant Object Enhancement Continued (DistantObject v2.0.2.0)
Distant Object Enhancement Continued default config (DistantObject-default v2.0.2.0)
Easy Vessel Switch (EVS) (EasyVesselSwitch 2.2)
Engine Lighting Relit (EngineLightRelit 1.6.3)
Environmental Visual Enhancements (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 3:1.10.1-3)
Environmental Visual Enhancements - Stock Planet Config files (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-HR 2:EVE-1.2.2-1)
Final Frontier (FinalFrontier 1.10.0-3485)
Hangar Extender (HangerExtenderExtended 3.6.0)
IndicatorLights (IndicatorLights 1.7)
IndicatorLights Community Extensions (IndicatorLightsCommunityExtensions 1.6.2)
Kalculator (Kalculator 0.2.3)
Kerbal Alarm Clock (KerbalAlarmClock v3.13.0.0)
Kerbal Attachment System (KAS 1.7)
Kerbal Engineer Redux (KerbalEngineerRedux 1.1.8.3)
Kerbal Inventory System (KIS 1.28)
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement Continued (KerbalJointReinforcementContinued v3.5.2)
Kerbal Reusability Expansion (SpaceXLegs 2.8.6)
KerboKatz - SmallUtilities - FPSViewer (KerboKatzSmallUtilities-FPSViewer 1.5.4-KSP1.8)
KerboKatzUtilities (KerboKatzUtilities 1.5.2-KSP1.8)
KSP AVC (KSP-AVC 1.4.1.5)
KSP Resonant Orbit Calculator (ResonantOrbitCalculator 0.0.6.2)
Magpie Mods (MagpieMods 1.5.9)
Making History (MakingHistory-DLC 1.11.0)
MastodonPatch (MastodonPatch v0.0.0.1)
MechJeb 2 (MechJeb2 2.12.0.0)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 4.1.4)
MSP-3000 Material Science Pod (MSP3000 v1.1)
Planet Wiki (PlanetWiki 1:4.1)
QuickCursorHider (QuickCursorHider 1:1.1.0.6)
RasterPropMonitor (RasterPropMonitor 1:v0.31.4)
RasterPropMonitor Core (RasterPropMonitor-Core 1:v0.31.4)
Real Plume (RealPlume 2:v13.3.2)
Real Plume - Stock Configs (RealPlume-StockConfigs v4.0.5)
Reentry Particle Effect Renewed (ReentryParticleEffect 1.9.1.1)
ReStock (ReStock 1.2.1)
ReStock Extra - Rigid Legs (RestockRigidLegs 1.2.1)
ReStock+ (ReStockPlus 1.2.1)
SCANsat (SCANsat v20.4)
Science - Full Reward! (Continued) (Science-Full-Reward v5.2)
Science - Full Transmit! (Science-Full-Transmit v1.1)
Science Pancake - 2.5m Materials Bay (SciencePancake 1.0)
ScienceAlert ReAlerted (ScienceAlert 1.9.8.9)
SDHI Strobe-O-Matic Warning Rotator Lights (SDHI-StrobeOMatic v1.0.1)
SimpleFuelSwitch (SimpleFuelSwitch 1.4)
SmokeScreen - Extended FX Plugin (SmokeScreen 2.8.14.0)
Sum Dum Heavy Industries - Shared Assets (SDHI-SharedAssets 4.0.4)
Surface Mounted Lights (surfacelights 1.17)
TAC Fuel Balancer (TacFuelBalancer v2.21.5.1)
TextureReplacer (TextureReplacer v4.3.1)
Textures Unlimited (TexturesUnlimited 1.5.10.25)
Throttle Controlled Avionics (ThrottleControlledAvionics v3.7.2)
Toolbar (Toolbar 1:1.8.0.5)
Toolbar Controller (ToolbarController 1:0.1.9.4)
Tracking Station Evolved (TrackingStationEvolved 6.0)
Trajectories (Trajectories v2.3.4)
Transfer Window Planner (TransferWindowPlanner v1.7.2.0)
TweakScale - Rescale Everything! (TweakScale v2.4.4.5)
WorldStabilizer (WorldStabilizer 0.9.7-ksp-1.8.1)
Zero MiniAVC (ZeroMiniAVC 1:1.1.0.1)

I then install the MEV Heavy Industries (see 1.02), which calls for installation by dependency of the Interstellar Fuel Swich Core 3.20 mod

However, the basics work, but FX is not generated on Epstein engines (in both images the engines are burning):

EpsteinSmall_l.jpgEpstein_l.jpg

The second logical step is to install the fuel tanks of the Interstellar Fuel Swich mod in order to refuel the engines, which requires me to install the Community Tech Tree mod by dependency.

What I notice in the case of Daedalus and Bussard engines is that the FusionPellets/LqdHydrogen tank did not change during ignition, except for the loss of the corresponding Cryogenic. Is it correct that there is no transfer of resources? Should it be done manually? 

Bussard_Crio.pngDaedalus_Crio.png

If I wanted to install the Mod KSP Interstellar Extended Support, in order to have the reactor and other elements to recharge the capacitors and other things, I find that the Mod MEV Heavy Industries stops working, and the engines disappear. Is this okay? That's right? 
This is a problem, as there are references in the .cfg of the engines that have references to this last mod.

Spoiler

MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
            {
                name = Glow
                modelName = WarpPlugin/FX/GCRHalo
                transformName = thrustTransform
                emission = 0.0 1
                emission = 1.0 2
                speed = 0 -0.5
                speed = 1 -0.5
                energy = 0 1
                energy = 1 2
                localPosition = 0, 0, 2
            }

How can I correct all this?

On 1/19/2021 at 7:46 AM, Cyne said:

For orbital launches from Earth or Mars they're probably using more conventional Methane/LOX derivatives. For RCS and non-Epstein drive ships (like the Knight Shuttle from the Canterbury) they have a small reactor and fusion torch drives, also tea-kettle which is heating reaction mass with the fusion drive. 

The key thing for atmo-flight with an Epstein drive is that it has radioactive products and is a LOT of energy that's hazardous to the folks on the drive side. So, while we see the main drives used in the series, they'd not be boosting away from say, Tycho station with the drive cone pointed AT Tycho. That'd cook the station. They'd RCS away and get to a vector where their drive would not cook the station and it's occupants. 

In the book they use 'tea-kettle' so steam from using water heated by the reactor for RCS and for planetary landing. The Epstein drive could work in atmo, but it would melt the landing site and landing into lava would be bad. The Epstein drive is just a improved fusion torch drive to help with the story. 

Damm, just found this. Great job on the mod and good luck on further deweloping it (I mean if you ar planing to do more parts(which I hope)) Personally a fan of The Expanse and I was trying to find this kind of mod since KSPI-E doesn't have such big fusion engines and even create a mod myself (WIP) but your mod is all I need for now. Have a great day!

• 2 weeks later...