MEV Heavy Industries - Daedalus drives, Bussard drives and Epstein drives

Cyne

This is a very great mod!!!!!! ONE OF MY FAVES! I got to Jool and landed with Vall with the Daedalus Drive!
But when will you get some RealPlume, or maybe Waterfall plumes? We will LOVE (i mean love, because those mods are great af) this mod better, because it's a good mod for interstellar travel!

And also another thing: does the Bussard Drive have so much thrust? Because its thrust at vacuum reaches so high, maybe million or billion? I don't know. Kindly check it, please. But all in all, good mod! :)

Spoiler

reported this...

Spoiler

for TOTM June 2021! :cool:

21 hours ago, Kerbal Productions said:

This is a very great mod!!!!!! ONE OF MY FAVES! I got to Jool and landed with Vall with the Daedalus Drive!
But when will you get some RealPlume, or maybe Waterfall plumes? We will LOVE (i mean love, because those mods are great af) this mod better, because it's a good mod for interstellar travel!

And also another thing: does the Bussard Drive have so much thrust? Because its thrust at vacuum reaches so high, maybe million or billion? I don't know. Kindly check it, please. But all in all, good mod! :)

Hide contents

reported this...

Hide contents

for TOTM June 2021! :cool:

Oh damn, thanks! I'm thinking about reworking/remodelling or adding some new engines and plumes when I have time, possibly this weekend so yeah. I'll also check on the bussard drive ^_^

47 minutes ago, Cyne said:

Oh damn, thanks! I'm thinking about reworking/remodelling or adding some new engines and plumes when I have time, possibly this weekend so yeah. I'll also check on the bussard drive ^_^

Oh yes! I've been waiting for an update! Have fun developing!

1 hour ago, Cyne said:

Oh damn, thanks! I'm thinking about reworking/remodelling or adding some new engines and plumes when I have time, possibly this weekend so yeah. I'll also check on the bussard drive

Yay!!!!!
This mod is so helpful! We are blessed to have you! I'm trying to promote you in one of my Discord servers lol but some people are scared to get it because of umm... 

Spoiler

01000110 01010000 01010011 00100000 01100100 01110010 01101111 01110000 01110011

But what a good mod! :)

And I wish you'll be in TOTM for June 2021!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2021 at 6:57 PM, Kerbal Productions said:

I really do hope that there'll be a plume config for the engines. It would be great!

Probably a configuration for two Mods, regarding your request:
Real plume

Waterfall

• 1 month later...

I use the small Epstein drive a lot.  Here's the patch I came up with to deal with the missing plumes in cruise mode.  Placed it in GameData/__LOCAL.

Seemed to me that the issue was caused by Cruise and Overdrive sharing the same effects.  So the patch I came up with creates a new effect - running_open - by cloning the existing one and changing the plume model.  It then assigns the new effect to the definition Cruise mode.

Spoiler

@PART[EpsteinDriveV4]:FINAL
{
    @EFFECTS
    {
        running_open
        {
            AUDIO
            {
                channel = Ship
                clip = sound_rocket_hard
                volume = 0.0 0.0
                volume = 0.05 0.6
                volume = 1.0 1.5
                pitch = 0.0 1.2
                pitch = 1.0 2.0
                loop = true
            }
            MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
            {
                modelName = Squad/FX/IonPlume
                transformName = thrustTransform
                emission = 0.0 0.0
                emission = 0.1 0.5
                emission = 1.0 1.0
                speed = 0.0 0.8
                speed = 1.0 1.0
                localPosition = 0, 0, 0.08
            }
        }
    }
    @MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]:HAS[#engineID[Cruise]]
    {
        @runningEffectName = running_open
    }

}

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/19/2021 at 6:46 AM, Cyne said:

I originally made the Epstein Drives work in atmospheres since I assumed that they worked in atmospheres according to the Book/Show but turns out they actually used the RCS to land in atmospheric planets (Somehow). Thought that having it be able to work in atmospheres was stupid so I changed it, but if you want it to work in atmospheres you can just edit the config file for the engines

I havent used the mod yet (plan on doing so right away), but I am a massive Expanse nerd and I can tell you that Epsteins do work in atmo. You routinely see them throughout season 5

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question, do the engine generate heat up to a somewhat challenging level?  Waterfall would be nice, but I need them to pose a challenge heat-wise. Ideally, SystemHeat support.

Backburner for now, and FFT will have to do.

Edited by Axelord FTW

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I all, im new in the forums, but an old KSP player since 2016
This mod would be awesome if not for 3 facts:

- The Epstein drives heat up very fast during long burns, so is very difficult perform bachistochronics trajectories, wich is the point of this engines. In case this is only an issue in my instalation i can provide a log file if needed

- No plumes, but im very sure i can try out this as im familiar with the method used in the Waterfall mod, its just im not too much familiar with Unity yet

- In-atmos capabilities, even reduced ones. I know it can be tweaked in the .cfg file but im also sure it can be easily include as part of an update

On 8/27/2022 at 6:49 AM, Ariel Kerman said:

- Двигатели Эпштейна очень быстро нагреваются при длительном горении

I recently installed this mod myself, removing the nice but cumbersome KSP Interstellar Extended mod that I used to install solely because of the Epstein drive analogue. In fact, the engine itself has not yet been tested in a constant load, but as I understand it, based on the KSPIE mod, this engine, or rather its engineering, needs very powerful cooling. Only this applies exclusively to the KSPIE mod, in the MEV mod I did not see a strict list of additional equipment for the normal functioning of the engine. Try experimenting with heatsinks. Can overheating be removed? I can also assume the possibility of conflicts between mods for heating, some kind of failure in the configuration files. But that's just my personal guess.

Edited by Paul1980

12 minutes ago, Paul1980 said:

Недавно я себе установил этот мод, удалив хороший, но громоздкий мод KSP Interstellar Extended, который раньше устанавливал исключительно из-за аналога привода Эпштейна. По сути, сам двигатель еще не тестировался в постоянной нагрузке, но как я понял, исходя из мода KSPIE, этот двигатель, а точнее его инженерия, нуждается в очень мощном охлаждении. Только это касается исключительно мода KSPIE, в моде MEV я не увидел строгого перечня дополнительного оборудования для нормального функционирования двигателя. Попробуйте поэкспериментировать с радиаторами. Можно ли убрать перегрев? Так же могу предположить возможность конфликтов модов на нагрев, какой-то сбой в конфигурационных файлах. But that's just my guess

Please provide translation to English when posting outside the Russian forum.

3 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

Please provide translation to English when posting outside the Russian forum.

Ок

On 8/27/2022 at 6:49 AM, Ariel Kerman said:

- The Epstein drives heat up very fast during long burns,

I recently installed this mod for myself, removing the good but cumbersome KSP Interstellar Extended mod, and installing this one because of Epstein's drive. In fact, the engine itself has not yet been tested under constant load, but as I understand it, based on the KSPIE mod, this engine, or rather its engineering, needs very powerful cooling. Only this applies exclusively to the KSPIE mode, in the MEV mode I did not see a strict list of additional equipment for the normal functioning of the engine. Try experimenting with heatsinks. Can overheating be removed? I can also see the possibility of showing mods on the engraver, some kind of collection in config files. But that's just my guess.

I will try to test the small Epstein drive on a brachistochronous trajectory with about 1g of acceleration and deceleration. I will post my reports and photos. There will be many questions I guess. Maybe someone will be interested in my comments.

9 hours ago, Paul1980 said:

Guys, tell me, is there any calculator adapted for KSP, or an analog program for calculating the brachistochrone for flights to bodies?

So far as i know anything adapted for ksp. Of course you can always go the scott manley vid about this, it never get old...  ;)

8 hours ago, Paul1980 said:

I will try to test the small Epstein drive on a brachistochronous trajectory with about 1g of acceleration and deceleration. I will post my reports and photos. There will be many questions I guess. Maybe someone will be interested in my comments.

I already do my own test, with all of the engines: putting a bunch of radiators like in the old days almost work, but my Daedalus ship is not interstellar anymore. Now i have to admit i go to the .cfg file and the heat production wasnt so big, wich means that problably there is a conflict with the HeatSystem mod, that i dont want to uninstall so i reduced the heat production from the config, same for the regular Epstein Drive, and i also allowed certain level of thrust in atmos 1100kn for discreted ssto. Still fighting to get a working waterfall plume on the Epstein drives...

16 hours ago, Ariel Kerman said:

Насколько я знаю что-нибудь адаптированное для ksp. Конечно, вы всегда можете просмотреть видео Скотта Мэнли об этом, оно никогда не устареет...  ;)

Я уже делаю свой собственный тест со всеми двигателями: поставить кучу радиаторов, как в старые времена, почти работает, но мой корабль «Дедал» больше не межзвездный. Теперь я должен признать, что я перешел к файлу .cfg, и производство тепла было не таким большим, что означает, что, вероятно, существует конфликт с модом HeatSystem, который я не хочу удалять, поэтому я уменьшил производство тепла из конфигурации, то же самое для обычного привода Эпштейна, а также я допускал определенный уровень тяги в атмосфере 1100 узлов для дискретного ссто . Все еще борюсь за рабочий шлейф водопада на дисках Эпштейна...

Thanks a lot for your detailed answer! I will follow your progress. I will also share information on my tests!

Hello! I got free time and I decided to post screenshots of the launch of my apparatus for the testing of the Epstein drive I promised to test into a low reference orbit (LRO 90-100 km).

This is a kind of rocket-type shuttle for takeoff and landing from non-atmospheric planets and satellites. Although the thrust of liquid rocket engines allows me to go into Kerbin orbit on my own. I immediately decided to fill the ЗАРЯ «ZARYA» shuttle with as much science as possible and make it in an autonomous self-sustaining version. I chose the layout of the rocket shuttle not according to the scheme of a rocket plane, or a ship-type spacecraft. It's simple: Where there is acceleration, there is floor. Based on the fact that the Epstein drive will accelerate and decelerate 99% of the flight - this multi-story scheme is best suited. No need to rotate any centrifuges. Crew of 8 cucumbers: 2 pilots, 3 engineers and 3 scientists.

Two drilling rigs for the extraction of minerals and their subsequent processing into fuel. Epstein's main propulsion engine has not yet been tested. A little later I will go to Muna to test the flight engine, landing and all other systems. For the present I do not know where potential errors and shortcomings will meet. As I progress in the tests, I will share the data.

04-09-2022-143014.jpg 04-09-2022-143114.jpg 04-09-2022-143829.jpg 04-09-2022-144332.jpg 04-09-2022-144346.jpg 04-09-2022-144434.jpg 04-09-2022-144933.jpg 04-09-2022-145057.jpg 04-09-2022-145057.png 04-09-2022-145353.jpg 04-09-2022-145735.jpg 04-09-2022-145805.jpg 04-09-2022-145851.jpg 04-09-2022-145955.jpg

Edited by Paul1980

I've given @zer0Kerbal permission to adopt this mod  as permitted by the license,  seeing that I've ran out of motivation to update this mod, plus life being in the way... sorry for lack of updates and activity. I've added him to the 'Additional Authors' list on Spacedock (as of posting it is marked as "pending" so this is still a question mark, will update this post if it changes)

I sincerely apologise for the lack of updates, and if it's disappointed anyone 

Many thanks! :D

@HebaruSan @VITAS 

Edited by Cyne