How does KSP performance scale with different hardware (And OS?)

Nnimrod

Title basically, does anyone know if KSP scales any differently than might be expected with DDR3 vs DDR4? Or with different generations of processors? Ryzen and up CPUs first intel? What about win 7 vs 10? Different generations of nVidia cards? Do RTX cards see any benefit?

I suspect that it probably scales about the same as any other physics heavy unity game, but if anyone has some experience benchmarking it or knows of an article on it I'd appreciate it, thanks.

Just as a starter tidbit, I had for years 16gb of very fast DDR3 (2666c11, Hynix MFR) with my 4790k, and recently popped in two more sticks of slower memory (2133c11, Samsung rev. B I think) along side them, and running 32gb at the slow speed seems to result in greater stability. I haven't crashed once with the 32gb configuration.

In general, higher speeds would normally equal higher performance.   There are others here with a more in depth knowledge of this, but it seems to me two things might have been happening.  First off, you might have been running up a RAM limit.   Seems unlikely with 16gb, but if you had a bunch of other things in the background, and a heavily modded game, you might have run out of space.   Secondly, the new RAM might just work better with your specific setup than the old.  There might have been some slight incongruities that were causing some slight instabilities that KSP was deciding to munch on. 

But regardless, the notable increase in stability is far more desirable than the probably unnoticeable loss of speed.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.