Licensing Question

Qwarkk

So I have been working on a KoS script for years. I wrote it for my own personal use but would now like to release it for others to enjoy. I have never released anything before and so I have suddenly become aware of licensing.

I have looked around at the various license options and I will admit I don't fully understand it. I want people to be able to use it freely and do what ever they want to it/with it. The one thing I want to ensure is that if they redistribute this work, they do so under the same license I choose. As i understand it (please correct me if this is wrong) this will prevent someone altering the work and redistributing it under a much more restrictive license (which could be done with a MIT license i think?). I want this to be as available as possible across any version in the future.

With this in mind I settled on the CC-BY-SA-4.0 License (but I have no idea if this is a good choice). 

Where It gets difficult is that the KoS script uses libraries from the KSLib collection. I took the lib_navball and simply removed the ones I didn't need (EDIT: and i have also added some comments to explain to potential users of my script how the functions in lib_navball work / why they are used).  This is licensed under MIT. Am i right in thinking that as long as I distribute the file with its copyright info / license info then I am safe to redistribute it? The top of the file looks like this:

// lib_navball.ks - A library of functions to calculate navball-based directions.
// Copyright © 2015,2017,2019 KSLib team
// Lic. MIT

Is it an issue that I am releasing the work under one license containing other work under another license?

Furthermore, I relied on help from the amzing KoS community when i hit roadblocks writing the script. I have functions included which I have taken from the KoS subreddit.  The functions were written by other people to solve problems posted in the subreddit (but not by me - their solutions just happened to suited my needs). Am i safe to redistribute this work? I intend to give credit of course.

Thank you for any help

Q

Edited by Qwarkk
more information regarding my use of lib_navball

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2021 at 2:36 AM, Qwarkk said:

Where It gets difficult is that the KoS script uses libraries from the KSLib collection. I took the lib_navball and simply removed the ones I didn't need (EDIT: and i have also added some comments to explain to potential users of my script how the functions in lib_navball work / why they are used).  This is licensed under MIT. Am i right in thinking that as long as I distribute the file with its copyright info / license info then I am safe to redistribute it?

To answer the question, MIT licensed content can be redistributed under a more restrictive license (and sublicensed), as long as you include the copyright notice.

However, why not just distribute the whole thing under MIT?

To quote Cc-BY-SA

AttributionYou must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

• ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.

These are all things already covered by the MIT license.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.