Rendezvous

Having 1000 relays won't boost communications 1000 times either. In fact.....you can achieve 100% planetary coverage with 4 relays, if they are in the right orbits. I keep meaning to write up my "build a relay network around a planet/moon" tutorial.

33 minutes ago, paul_c said:

Having 1000 relays won't boost communications 1000 times either. In fact.....you can achieve 100% planetary coverage with 4 relays, if they are in the right orbits. I keep meaning to write up my "build a relay network around a planet/moon" tutorial.

Or three in keostationary orbit. 1000 satellites just sounds like heat death of the processor to me! 

I don't think 3 would do it due to "over the horizon" considerations with the missing one served by KSP base?

ETA as the error in positioning those 3 satellites --> 0, the global coverage would --> 100% (but never achieve it). So, the textbook answer is 3 but the practical answer is 4? Its debatable!

Edited by paul_c

6 hours ago, Anonymous49 said:

do you know what is  a relay antenna

It bounces "Connection" for direct satellites so you can extend your satellite network further away from the source (KSC). Put a bunch of them everywhere (And I mean literally everywhere) and you'll never have to worry about your satellites going dead. Even the ones that aren't using relays.

On 1/22/2021 at 4:21 AM, Curveball Anders said:

What I meant was that I have no interest what so ever of repeating the same manual flight operations and maneuvers over and over again.

Then using MJ makes sense. Learning the basics however. Still something I'd argue everyone should know regardless. 

4 hours ago, ConArt70 said:

Or three in keostationary orbit. 1000 satellites just sounds like heat death of the processor to me! 

There's a slight blind spot at the poles. Only for a second though. Also some planets/moons can't have stationary satellites, so highly elliptical ends up working better anyhow. 

11 hours ago, James M said:

It bounces "Connection" for direct satellites so you can extend your satellite network further away from the source (KSC). Put a bunch of them everywhere (And I mean literally everywhere) and you'll never have to worry about your satellites going dead. Even the ones that aren't using relays.

Then using MJ makes sense. Learning the basics however. Still something I'd argue everyone should know regardless. 

There's a slight blind spot at the poles. Only for a second though. Also some planets/moons can't have stationary satellites, so highly elliptical ends up working better anyhow. 

what i mean, putting 3 satellites, the connection might fail. putting 1000 satellites, how could they fail?

3 hours ago, Anonymous49 said:

putting 1000 satellites, how could they fail?

If they all bunch up on one side of the planet while your lonely rover sits on the other side :D

The patented optimal solution by John Draim uses 4 satellites that provide continuous coverage for every point on the (spherical, ignoring mountains) surface.  If you can pull it off, a wise player once published orbital parameters for all the bodies in stock KSP:

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tutorial:Ideal_Orbits_for_Communication_Satellites#4-Satellite_constellation

Edited by HansAcker

4 hours ago, Anonymous49 said:

what i mean, putting 3 satellites, the connection might fail. putting 1000 satellites, how could they fail?

Sometimes the easier solution is just plan some contingency for when the issue happen. Wait for a new satellite get into position, check if there is one that can provide control before committing to land with a unmanned craft and so on.

Of course, extra satellite will make less likely to be out of signal. But I have serious doubt that you will need more than 6 for each celestial body, let alone a thousand.

It was the Draim 4 satellite constellation which I'd vaguely remembered about. Its an ideal, but I find it terribly hard to visualise the 'shape' of the tetrahedron shape, especially when slightly eccentric orbits are involved (which gives more margin of error over position). 

So I chose to do a 6-satellite constellation for mine.

7 hours ago, Anonymous49 said:

Right now I need a engine that gives out 250kn, radially attached, modded engine, for my shuttle.

It can be done with stock parts, but shuttle alike are more difficult than both conventional rocket and conventional planes(/spaceplanes).

Also, much like the real life shuttle, the KSP lookalikes are not practical in the long run. You may consider it cool enough to accept the compromisse, but there will be a compromisse.

anyways, point is: you need to take your time to learn the basic stuff otherwise it will keep causing issues. Because more complex craft/situation   just have more simple things that can go wrong.

Swivel: 215kN
Skipper: 650kN
Mainsail: 1500kN

If you want to fine tune thrust/TWR, you can strap on the Thud (120kN) to bridge the gaps. 

If the Mainsail isn't enough, then its time to join up fuselage sections/fuel tanks side-by-side for any amount of extra. Or save up the money/science for the even bigger engines available.

3 hours ago, paul_c said:

Swivel: 215kN
Skipper: 650kN
Mainsail: 1500kN

If you want to fine tune thrust/TWR, you can strap on the Thud (120kN) to bridge the gaps. 

If the Mainsail isn't enough, then its time to join up fuselage sections/fuel tanks side-by-side for any amount of extra. Or save up the money/science for the even bigger engines available.

uh the thud engine is why i failed

Mun landing is the worst.

With Minmus or Gilly, its so low gravity it makes it slow and easy. For Duna and Kerbin, you have the atmosphere so its easy to drift down on a parachute and do a bit of retrofiring the rocket to get you to landing speed.

My advice for Mun landing is to get all the horizontal speed off before you are anywhere near landing, then don't be afraid of using a bunch of fuel to fly/hover/go up again, and don't be afraid to change your chosen landing site. You won't see a flat area until you get reasonably close anyway. Also you can land in a crater if the bottom is flat, its the sides which are too sloped.

I'd go for a quite wide design - 1.25m parts with extra stuff stuck on the side, or 2.5m fuel tank (both with landing legs). And a TWR of about 3-5 seems to work best for landings, it gives you control to hover then gradually lower it down rather than having to go on/off the throttle.

Just now, Anonymous49 said:

uh i want a place where there is a high area of flatness, my lander isn't designed to land on craters

Unfortunately, crater are quite common on the Mun. But there is plenty of flat areas in between.

Just make a quicksave before committing to land and go for it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.