Rendezvous

14 minutes ago, Anonymous49 said:

also any mod to calculate the payload weight possible?

to a certain orbit

The payload weight is a (pretty much fixed) proportion of the total weight of the rocket. Are you still limited to 30 parts/18 tons?

Rather than thinking in terms of "I need xxx tons of fuel to lift yyy tons of payload" its better to design based on delta V, which is shown during construction on the staging layout on the right hand side. That way, you can design the rocket to have the necessary performance.

34 minutes ago, Anonymous49 said:

also any mod to calculate the payload weight possible?

to a certain orbit

No mod required. The deltaV required to reach a certain orbit is the same regardless of the craft. 

Since you already have the stock deltaV readout, you just need to check if the craft, with the  desired payload have the deltaV for the task. 

It can be done the other way around, as you suggest, but no one founf it to be useful enough to warrant designing a mod for it. (At least not that I'm aware). 

In the VAB, on the right:

KSP%20Image%20038.png

KSP numbers the stages descending, ie the first stage to fire is number 7, then 6, 5, 4 etc. As can be seen from above, the first stage is SRBs with 631m/s. Then the second stage fires, with a skipper liquid fuel engine and some fuel, 1093m/s. Then third stage is another skipper liq fuel engine and fuel, delivering the payload to Kerbin Orbit (which needs approx 3500-4000m/s).

To understand what various missions need in terms of "delta V" budget, look at this website:

https://13375.de/KSPDeltaVMap/

Note that delta V is a handy parameter which is independent of payload weight, ie a 100 ton payload needs the same delta V to get to Kerbin orbit as a 100kg payload. It will just be sitting on top of a much bigger rocket. Obviously the more payload you want to put into orbit, the bigger the rocket (all else being equal).

ETA Ignore the remaining stages 0-4 in the screenshot, the KSP editor doesn't do too well when you have multiple payloads decoupling at various stages of the mission, including monopropellant powered ones etc.....you'll have to get a feel for those or learn to work it out manually. But for simpler rockets, KSP is pretty good at helping you design a capable rocket.

Edited by paul_c

Rocket: 3 stages, 2906m/s delta v first stage (core + 6 boosters), 791m/s delta v left core, 896m/s delta v second stage, 884m/s delta v third stage

Boosters (From top to bottom):

6x Advanced Nosecone Type A

6x FL-A151L Fuel Tank Adapter

24x FL-TX900 Fuel Tanks

6x RV-105 RCS thruster block

6x Bobcat Engines

Core:

1x TD-25 decoupler

3x Rockomax 32 fuel tanks

16x RV-105 thruster block

1x Skipper Engine

Second Stage:

FL-A215 Fuel Tank Adapter

8x Roundified monoprop tanks

1x Rockomax 32 tank

8x RV-105 Thruster block

1x poodle engine

Third Stage:

1x TD-12/TD-18/TS-12/TS-18 decopuler/Stack Seperator

1x Fairing (1.875m)

1x FL-TX900 Fuel Tank

1x EP-18 Engine Plate

3x 909 Engines

25 minutes ago, paul_c said:

Is this for surface of the Mun or orbital?

Mun, I have plans to reach minimus instead of mun but when i realize how much delta v i need to go that far i cancelled it. It would take time to build a heavier one

I'm glad to see you got your kerbals back home, but from what I just read really quickly (heading to lunch at work in a second), you had some serious design issues that were even more pressing than your rendezvous issues. You don't necessarily have to take my advice, but I would seriously suggest you look into basic rocket construction tips. elsewise I hope you've learned at least not to put kerbals in tubes then timewarp or try grabbing onto backwards batteries xD None of those things work let alone lead to something good. If you need any more help let me know. I'd be willing to talk you through the game if that's something you need. 

12 minutes ago, James M said:

I'm glad to see you got your kerbals back home, but from what I just read really quickly (heading to lunch at work in a second), you had some serious design issues that were even more pressing than your rendezvous issues. You don't necessarily have to take my advice, but I would seriously suggest you look into basic rocket construction tips. elsewise I hope you've learned at least not to put kerbals in tubes then timewarp or try grabbing onto backwards batteries xD None of those things work let alone lead to something good. If you need any more help let me know. I'd be willing to talk you through the game if that's something you need. 

that's the only way to do swapies

39 minutes ago, Anonymous49 said:

that's the only way to do swapies

I get what you're saying but, just remember you can't timewarp unless all of your kerbals are inside a dedicated crew/command module/part. You know, a thing dedicated to holding people and has literal seats on the inside with windows and the whole shibang. No structural tubes xD 

Edited by James M

3 minutes ago, James M said:

I get what you're saying but, just remember you can't timewarp unless all of your kerbals are inside a dedicated crew/command module/part. You know, a thing dedicated to holding people and has literal seats on the inside with windows and the whole shibang. No structural tubes xD 

3 minutes ago, James M said:

Actually as long as the kerbal isnt directly inside the command pod, any kerbal can get in. No battery is necessary. Not even a ladder. Just leave them floating around in space until you're done swapping, then eva the kerbal back over. Just remember you can't timewarp unless all of your kerbals are inside a dedicated crew/command module/part. You know, a thing dedicated to holding people and has literal seats on the inside with windows and the whole shibang. No structural tubes xD 

i'm bad at using rcs, so i used tubes to trap them so i won't have trouble getting them back

7 minutes ago, Anonymous49 said:

i'm bad at using rcs, so i used tubes to trap them so i won't have trouble getting them back

yeah no I totally understand, but rcs is how everything moves in space without an engine so therefore it's worth learning. Tbh, I would recommend checking out the missions in the Ksp main menu screen. There's one where they literally dump you in space with a kerbal and a spacecraft and you have to rcs him back. I would try doing that if you can a couple times until you can get him back in his pod within like 1 minute or so. If you get confused with the controls, check out the kspedia. In there you'll find all sorts of useful info including rcs controls in the flight section. In all honesty, everything I learned about ksp was through the kspedia and the training missions. By the time I learned about this forum and the subreddits, I had already landed on Minmus and Mun multiple times and made many space stations. I could even dock! I guess the point I'm trying to make is, all the answers you're looking for are there, you just need to know where to look. 

6 hours ago, James M said:

yeah no I totally understand, but rcs is how everything moves in space without an engine so therefore it's worth learning. Tbh, I would recommend checking out the missions in the Ksp main menu screen. There's one where they literally dump you in space with a kerbal and a spacecraft and you have to rcs him back. I would try doing that if you can a couple times until you can get him back in his pod within like 1 minute or so. If you get confused with the controls, check out the kspedia. In there you'll find all sorts of useful info including rcs controls in the flight section. In all honesty, everything I learned about ksp was through the kspedia and the training missions. By the time I learned about this forum and the subreddits, I had already landed on Minmus and Mun multiple times and made many space stations. I could even dock! I guess the point I'm trying to make is, all the answers you're looking for are there, you just need to know where to look. 

Rocket construction is a skill in itself.

Rendezvous is a skill in itself.

Docking is a skill in itself.

KSP is great at simulating those things, so that you can play the game and get better at each. If you're taking shortcuts or using add-ons to compensate for the lack of skill/ability you're somewhat missing out on what KSP has to offer!

12 hours ago, Anonymous49 said:

except, they do have trouble.

astronaut jetpack isn't hard to use. use it to get near a crew pod entrance, they can grab the ladder (there will be a "F: grab" sign popping on your monitor, or something similar). then you grab the ladder, and then they enter in a pod. if you have the accuracy to get your astronauts into a tube, then you also have the accuracy to make them grab a ladder.

you can add many more ladders to your rescue vehicle to make things easier. my early rescue vehicle, before i learned to use the jetpack well, was positively covered with them. i just had to send my astronaut in contact with it, and he would find something to grab

10 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

Or skipping stuff you have no interest in learning.

Yes. but also No. Why are you playing ksp if you have no interest in orbital mechanics or even somewhat realistic rocket physics? Might as well go play a different space game like Eve online or something. (No offense to the other space games. I play them all.) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.