Falcon 9 auto land mod?

ImAKerbal

Don't know if this goes here but it seems like the best place to put it. Anyway I'm a huge fan of SpaceX and I was wondering if there is a mod for 1.11 that auto lands boosters. (I tried mech jeb but it's always inaccurate and starts in suicide burn to late)

Actually I did combine Trajectories for better prediction with MechJeb for this in a personal test build. However even Trajectories is not precise enough to really pinpoint the launchpad as good as SpaceX does. With enough aero control surfaces my atmospheric MechJeb landing can compensate for most of it.

But the final landing is still too tricky: You would need to fine tune a couple of PID controllers for your booster design to land with thrust alone within few meters of your target. Since I am playing with various boosters this was a killer for me, so I stopped pursuing this idea. SpaceX did this for Falcon 9, but are you really willing stay with a single booster after you took 10-20 landings to tune all parameters ?

Adding a drogue chute helped equally: Easy to control, the booster descends at a rate slow enough to have time for corrections and yet fast enough for aero surfaces to generate enough sideway lift. But now it is not a Falcon 9 style landing anymore.

35 minutes ago, CBase said:

Actually I did combine Trajectories for better prediction with MechJeb for this in a personal test build. However even Trajectories is not precise enough to really pinpoint the launchpad as good as SpaceX does. With enough aero control surfaces my atmospheric MechJeb landing can compensate for most of it.

But the final landing is still too tricky: You would need to fine tune a couple of PID controllers for your booster design to land with thrust alone within few meters of your target. Since I am playing with various boosters this was a killer for me, so I stopped pursuing this idea. SpaceX did this for Falcon 9, but are you really willing stay with a single booster after you took 10-20 landings to tune all parameters ?

Adding a drogue chute helped equally: Easy to control, the booster descends at a rate slow enough to have time for corrections and yet fast enough for aero surfaces to generate enough sideway lift. But now it is not a Falcon 9 style landing anymore.

Yes I am willing to stay but I also use rockets such as falcon heavy and starship which come from the same mod the Falcon 9 comes from but I don't want to add any drogue shoots because I want the most realistic Space X landing in ksp.

17 minutes ago, ImAKerbal said:

Yes I am willing to stay but I also use rockets such as falcon heavy and starship which come from the same mod the Falcon 9 comes from but I don't want to add any drogue shoots because I want the most realistic Space X landing in ksp.

tundra exploration?

1 hour ago, ImAKerbal said:

Thanks ill try it, also yes I'm using tundra

3 hours ago, Cavscout74 said:

I've never used it but it seems to offer what you are looking for

Thanks for that, it works way better than mech jeb but its still inaccurate sometimes. Is there a better mod out somewhere?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.