Optional wear and tear on parts(lifespace of parts)

Similar to life support. What about lifespan limits to parts. This could give another way to limit and make stuff more realistic. This could be an option during creation of a game. And it could have cheats to get around it if needed.

You could also have degradation and efficiency of parts.

this could all give a lot ore reason to use and even have more parts. Different materials could extend life while adding weight or other qualities. If it's based on real things it could be nice.

Edited by Arugela

maybe if it was wear due to ex high heat instead of a time because it would pe a big pain having to constantly repair space stations. i do think it would be cool if there was some vissual damage to things when they it the ground hard or get really hot. maybe tiss would work like so that there is no time damage if you have an engeneer on the ship? tbh it would be cool comming back to an unmanned station and it looks a bit worse than it used to.

On 1/20/2021 at 12:52 PM, jastrone said:

maybe if it was wear due to ex high heat instead of a time

I agree that time-based degradation would be weird. Kerbals themselves are essentially ageless so it wouldn't fit.

12 hours ago, Arugela said:

I wasn't going for time. More use and conditions. Whatever is most realistic. That just happens to happen over time.

If there were dust storms on Duna....or freezing temperatures on Eeloo that require heaters...

That would be interesting

3 hours ago, Earthlinger said:

If there were dust storms on Duna....or freezing temperatures on Eeloo that require heaters...

That would be interesting

To be honest, I’m behind basically any kind of weather. I could imagine violent winds in the upper parts of Jool and Eve’s atmospheres, with a visual alteration of that area from space.

Anyway, it would be fairly interesting to have a hidden wear value for a part that dictates its appearance and detriments, the rate of increase multiplied by some setting (0-1-10) set on start. That’s how I imagine part deterioration.

"Hm, looks like my transfer window to Duna wont come for another 3 months. Guess I gotta timewarp..." 

Timewarps.

- There was a fail with relay antenna 3 on Relay 37. There was a failure with battery pack 8 on Station 4. There was a failure with engine 3 in Starship 8's engine cluster....

"Guess Duna will have to wait."

That would be my fear.   I get it would be more realistic, but we are only one space program. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.