Can we get a "Crash test dummy"?

Hi all.

Thanks for reading.

Can we get a dummy?

When making ships with a command chair sometime when you launch you get a kerbal with stuff clipping into him. The dummy in the VAB would allow us to build around him.

We could of course use him outside the VAB for those trials that would be dangerous to our precious Kerbals. Who like to see Jeb die over and over again anyway?

I imagine him as being a non moving (Limp) helmeted Kerbal skinned yellow with targets as dummy usually have.

Hey,  there could be two variant. The cheap one in yellow and the science one in red with sensors.

Contracts. Put a dummy in space. Crash a dummy on the Mün. Recover dummy and test article to Kerbin. Eck you can carry him back in a cargo pod or in a seat.

Maybe Bill can weld him to the outside of the ship.

Thanks,

M E

Edited by Martian Emigrant

This is genius.

However, its also not very Kerbal-like to think things through and properly test things first though. That would be smart, and safe.

Game play-wise being able to put a kerbal in the seat would help building some things in some scenarios.

On 1/20/2021 at 3:24 PM, Martian Emigrant said:

Can we get a dummy?

When making ships with a command chair sometime when you launch you get a kerbal with stuff clipping into him. The dummy in the VAB would allow us to build around him.

We could of course use him outside the VAB for those trials that would be dangerous to our precious Kerbals.

You'll be happy to know that we here at FYI have done exactly such a thing - our model KTD2 (more colloquially known as FakeJeb 2) has been performing these and many other functions for many years:

B6nqcUF.png

Using only the finest surplus parts, arranged delicately to closely mimic the dimensions and mass of your average Kerbal, we have produced what we consider to be the finest test dummy this side of Eloo.

FYI: we are committed to the well-being of your test engineers. That is why great care was taken in removing any endearing features, so no one may get overly attached to the KTD2. (Not FYI: the nr on the back of the card is from an unrelated company that, for a price, can uhm... 'kerbalize' an original KTD2 to your specifications. We do not want to know why... we just provide).

qgX9Wdk.png

Have you ever frowned mid-design, wondering if you allowed enough space between seats and other parts of a craft to fit some Kerbals? Shifting CoM when they climb aboard? Fuel efficiency with varying passenger loads? FYI: we can provide the answers!

Stop wondering, stop estimating, stop chasing hapless volunteers around the cafetaria... just test! With a set of KTD2 (conveniently packed 4 in a box), the answers are just a quick test run away.

Should the need arise for endurance and structural integrity testing, there will be no need to listen to the horrifying death-puffs of Kerbals exiting this plane of existance. FakeJeb2 will not only accurately mimic potential damage, it will do so in a much more satisfying explosive manner.

IOcsc0I.png

FYI: Providing you with the details you need, so you can stop asking your Kerbals embarrassing questions.

Call now, and we'll pack not one, but four of these amazing test buddies for that same price! Call 1-800-FakeAJeb and order now! Our call center is on standby 24/7. Call now.

23 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

And a face editor for the dummy, to apply photos.

Genius.

You mean as in our own faces? I love it.

I am sure we all wish we could "Missions" alongside with our Kerbals. In that manner they  would put us through what we put THEM through.

A just return on things.

ME

5 minutes ago, Martian Emigrant said:

You mean as in our own faces? I love it.

Careful what you wish for... it's been done before, to the horror of many.

The Mighty and Allremembering Google might still turn up an image or two of Scott-Manley-faced kerbals...

• 2 months later...
On 1/25/2021 at 4:30 AM, MKI said:

Game play-wise being able to put a kerbal in the seat would help building some things in some scenarios.

Definitely. Although I have sort of memorized how tall a Kerbal is in a seat now, so it is not a huge problem anymore. For all my cranes (and trucks and other ground vehicles ) I use the external command seats inside the cabs. And there have been many times when I place the seat, build the cab using tweakscaled I-beams, load the craft, and realize the kerbal's head sticks out of the top of the cab! It's an easy fix once I find it, it is just a little annoying.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.