Life Support System Mod

R_Skoklater

Hey I am Skoklater, I have a new Life Support mod suggestion. I know there are plenty of Life support mods like Kerbalism and Snacks and TAC life support already but I think my suggestion is a little different but a little more complex too.

Food System

So with ksp 1.11 and the new cargo features I think food/snack (stackable) supplies should be transported via cargo/inventory, have their own mass and quantity lasts for a certain amount of time depending on the number of kerbals onboard and duration of mission. Food can only last for 18months maximum before expiry or turning into expired food. So if food is stored (from launch date) and no kerbal is on board to consume it for 18months, it will turn into waste and will not be able to be consumed by Kerbals anymore. Kerbals can survive without food for 2-3weeks (random values between those) before dying.

Waste Management

Depending on the amount of food ,water and oxygen consumed and duration of the stay and number of kerbals on board is the amount of waste generated. Waste cannot be recycled apart from H2O which can only be recycled at 90% efficiency and O2 at 40% efficiency.  Waste is CO2, Waste Water, Food packaging and Expired Food and those are stackeable cargo/inventory items. Waste must be stored. At full ship inventory/storage, no resource can be consumed and no waste is generated.

Oxygen

O2 is a consumable resource that is available in limited quantity depending on the command pod/storage container/other pressurized units. It is consumed over time depending on the number of kerbals on board and duration of mission. Kerbals generate CO2 waste that can be recycled back to O2 at 40% efficiency and require electric charge to recycle. Oxygen depletion will result in Kerbal's Death after 3 minutes. Oxygen can be generated with Electric charge and Oxidizer.

Pressure 

Command Pods and other pressurized compartments have to maintain pressure. Cabin depressurization will result in pressure suit O2 consumption which is not recycled and rapid cabin O2 depletion. Vessel impacts on pressurized compartments can result in cabin damage and rapid depressurization.

Water Recycling/Production System

Water/H2O is a consumable resource that can be recycled at 90% efficiency and when consumed will generate waste water. Depending on the duration of mission and number of kerbals is the amount of water consumed. Water can be generated with electric charge and liquid fuel. Kerbals will survive without water for 2-3days (random value between those)

Temperature Regulation

Kerbals can only survive at a temperature of 238.15-288.15Kelvin. Temperature regulation in pressurized compartments requires electric charge , radiators and heat exchangers. Temperatures below/beyond the limits will result in Kerbal's death.

5 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

There are great resources on how to get started with modding,  I'd highly recommend looking through that and then let us know how it goes!

Hey , thank you. Will try to make that mod happen, although it will take time and lots of research and testing.

Whilst I wouldn't mind having another mod to play with, canI humbly suggest you look at kerbalism?  This may fulfil what you are looking to achive.  Also... kerbalism 4 is under developement if you are wanting to get your teeth into something that needs some help gettinv finished.

However,  not many mods cover the eat breathe, drink plus waste along with pressure and temperature.  So something new would be great.

Peace.

45 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

Whilst I wouldn't mind having another mod to play with, canI humbly suggest you look at kerbalism?  This may fulfil what you are looking to achive.  Also... kerbalism 4 is under developement if you are wanting to get your teeth into something that needs some help gettinv finished.

However,  not many mods cover the eat breathe, drink plus waste along with pressure and temperature.  So something new would be great.

Peace.

Thanks for your information and suggestion, I know Kerbalism is very similar to my suggestion . However it does not incorporate all those features into one mod as you said (oxygen,temperature,pressure,waste) and Kerbalism introduces the life support features as parts ( adds parts for food container etc..) which is different from what I initially envisionned which is having the life support integrated into the pressurized cabin and food as cargo/inventory parts which takes advantages of the 1.11 update. I might suggest the Kerbalism devs those features or make my own mod and share it on here when finished.

6 hours ago, R_Skoklater said:

Thanks for your information and suggestion, I know Kerbalism is very similar to my suggestion . However it does not incorporate all those features into one mod as you said (oxygen,temperature,pressure,waste) and Kerbalism introduces the life support features as parts ( adds parts for food container etc..) which is different from what I initially envisionned which is having the life support integrated into the pressurized cabin and food as cargo/inventory parts which takes advantages of the 1.11 update. I might suggest the Kerbalism devs those features or make my own mod and share it on here when finished.

It may be easier to build on Kerbalism rather than totally replacing it.

6 hours ago, R_Skoklater said:

I do disagree.  The ECLSS, is for temperature regulation, pressure is simulated and it adds to kerbal stress if it isnt there and requires nitrogen to keep cabins pressurised as it similates leaks at the same rate as the ISS per square metre of surface area. 

I would like the food, water, air and components to be in the new containers too but the current devs have said that is beyond their scope currently. .  That would be a great point of difference.

One other idea that would be awesome (if you are coding  from scratch) is for stored food to have a shelf life.  If you are going to have a greenhouse system, kernalism has found that the mass of the greenhouse is too great for missions under say 6 years, orbat least a long time. Delta vee wise it is cheaper to take prepackaged food.  If that food, even freeze dried, expires, it forces a new way of planning long term missions.  Again, kerbalism devs aren't willing to take this on.

Peace.

4 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

I do disagree.  The ECLSS, is for temperature regulation, pressure is simulated and it adds to kerbal stress if it isnt there and requires nitrogen to keep cabins pressurised as it similates leaks at the same rate as the ISS per square metre of surface area. 

I would like the food, water, air and components to be in the new containers too but the current devs have said that is beyond their scope currently. .  That would be a great point of difference.

One other idea that would be awesome (if you are coding  from scratch) is for stored food to have a shelf life.  If you are going to have a greenhouse system, kernalism has found that the mass of the greenhouse is too great for missions under say 6 years, orbat least a long time. Delta vee wise it is cheaper to take prepackaged food.  If that food, even freeze dried, expires, it forces a new way of planning long term missions.  Again, kerbalism devs aren't willing to take this on.

Peace.

I do not plan to have greenhouse and plants yet as oxygen generation by plants are not very used in space ( iss and the upcoming artemis missions ) and in a realistic point of view it would require plant watering,soil mass and light which consumes more water and energy (electric charge). However I really like the idea of adding food shelf life for packed food/snacks and rehydrating the food.

4 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Yes, but Kerbalism is fairly modular, so you could replace or change specific systems while leaving for example, radiation intact.

Thankfully it is , I will probably remove radiation though :P

9 minutes ago, R_Skoklater said:

12 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Yes, but Kerbalism is fairly modular, so you could replace or change specific systems while leaving for example, radiation intact.

Thankfully it is , I will probably remove radiation though :P

It is also licensed as the Unlicesne so you can do what you like with the code! 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.