Bugs in Rover repair mission

Got a mission to fix up a rover. I used EVA construction mode to attach two batteries and four solar panel. The rover comes with a relay and a probe core. After it failed to move for unknown reason, I attach a command seat from another rover to it, still no dice.

The following screenshot shows there are power, the wheel is responsive, but for whatever reason, the wheel is not "spinning".

screenshot

I somehow managed to get it to move once by reattaching all four wheels in EVA mode, but it doesn't work in my second attempt.

Edited by Drowsy Corgi

Maybe the reason that rover isn’t moving is because the wheels aren’t touching the ground? They’re attached at the completely wrong angle, pointing up into the air and apparently at 90 degrees to the ‘forward’ direction. The brakes are also on, but those wheels can usually overpower their brakes by accelerating so if the wheels were actually in contact with the ground I’d expect the rover to move; not in the direction you’re hoping for, but move nonetheless.

The image was only to illustrate that wheels were responsive to user inputs. When I attached them in the "normal" way, i.e. like a regular wheel vehicle, the rover wasn't moving at all. The problem is probably the brake is on and I didn't notice......never use the brake action group before...

The next problem may be the direction the controls are pointing. Look at the navball. It's pointing up into the sky like a rocket instead of a rover. So right click the command seat and select "control from here". That should point in the horizontal forward direction. Then turn SAS off - it just wastes power in the reaction wheels when on the ground.  Then if it starts moving you'll need to watch your battery charge... 200 charge isn't much for a rover unless you have a fuel cell. Good luck. 

While probably not related (since your thread spans several days you probably already did this by now) I found that in 1.11.0 (haven't tried 1.11.1 yet) all rover repair contracts required me to save and reload from the save before the rover would be controllable.  Switching to the tracking center and back again would also fix it.  Basically the scene had to be reloaded somehow to break out of the bug.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.