Do players use medium landing gear as a rear wheel of their planes?

I'm just curious with how players build their plane. The medium landing gear is steerable. On most planes, only the front wheel is steerable. I'm not sure if they're supposed to also steer just like the front wheel if they're placed as a rear wheel....

1 hour ago, Turf said:

I'm just curious with how players build their plane. The medium landing gear is steerable. On most planes, only the front wheel is steerable. I'm not sure if they're supposed to also steer just like the front wheel if they're placed as a rear wheel....

Through the advanced tweakables (enabled in the settings) you can disable steering on them.    I use whatever gear is appropriate for the size of plane I’m building.    

For the last couple years, I've never felt the need to build planes bigger than 20 tonnes or so. And the small steerable/retractable wheels are perfectly fine for that. I tend to leave the "steering" turned on for the rear wheels, since it gives me a tighter turning radius with no real drawbacks.

6 hours ago, Turf said:

I'm just curious with how players build their plane. The medium landing gear is steerable.

And large is not - so there is a reason to use medium for steering. Mostly rear becaue it give You proper angle of attack.

But there is no much use for bigger gear - this game is not much about aerodynamics. Bigger planes are just for fun.

But if You would have steering on bigger plane medium gear somwhere could help for taxi. But since You run heavy plane should not be suported (in theory) by them (they went up on nose). So rear is evil solution, but it works in KSP delivering angle of attack, and tweakable spring and dumper allow to abuse it.

Edited by vv3k70r

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.