Lists of things that SHOULD NOT BE ADDED IN KSP2

Lo.M

We can always speculate, it's fun!

My take is that terraforming is just too much work to implement. You'd need to make planets dynamic, so they change over time; you'd need to implement mechanics that govern how they change. Even a very basic implementation would need to have icecaps receding or expanding, water level rising or falling, cloud cover increasing or decreasing, and vegetation changing. On top of that you'd likely want to have weather patterns changing, erosion, and what have you.

You'd need to hook all of that up to something that plausibly models how all of that is affected by cloud cover (albedo), atmospheric composition, presence of liquid water, abundance of vegetation, and so on and so forth.

And then you'd need to give the player ways to change all of that: bombarding a planet with icy comets, engineering vegetation that survives on its icecaps and planting that; dusting the upper atmosphere with agents to increase albedo or increase greenhouse effect; magic atmosphere-affecting machinery, and what have you.

In other words, it would be a huge, huge effort, on the same scale as the entire rest of the game. If done well it could be masses of fun, but I would be really surprised if anything like it makes it into KSP2. It could be a massive post-launch expansion or, hey, KSP3, but it's certainly much more than a nice feature to have.

(Landscaping, though. That would be a feature, and I would like it. ;) )

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

I don't see why anything should not be included in the game, as long as the gameplay leading up to them is not compromised. 

Really the main thing I don't want in the game is microtransactions.

I will take all the gameplay I can get!

Someone mentioned earlier not dumbing it down, and I agree with that too. I want the game to be more complex, if anything.

Just now, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Really the main thing I don't want in the game is microtransactions.

Ok yeah, I have to agree with that one.   But that's not a gameplay thing, that's a business model. 

1 minute ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Someone mentioned earlier not dumbing it down, and I agree with that too. I want the game to be more complex, if anything.

Given the crew in charge of making it happen, I don't think this will be a problem at all.   Same with your other concern, I think the lead guys would rather not have that happen. 

11 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Ok yeah, I have to agree with that one.   But that's not a gameplay thing, that's a business model. 

It often has an impact on gameplay, making it more grindy to stimulate players to purchase time-savers and stuff like that. 

5 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

No

It is pertinent to the thread topic, and not against forum rules.  I  listed things that I think do not belong in KSP 2, one of which has previously been discussed in other threads, and I need not reiterate arguments here, but will respond to any such arguments.

I know it's not against the forum rules, but it can cause fights, so I always avoid talking about it.

But I will add to the list.

I all want to see is that I don’t want DLCs with less than 20 new addiions

I don’t epwant each update to be DLC release

I don’t want any micro or in game transactions

In game currencies like the Money or Scince Pionts in carrier mode and science mode I’m okay but no “Kerbal Coins”

No loot boxeS

17 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

We can always speculate, it's fun!

My take is that terraforming is just too much work to implement. You'd need to make planets dynamic, so they change over time; you'd need to implement mechanics that govern how they change. Even a very basic implementation would need to have icecaps receding or expanding, water level rising or falling, cloud cover increasing or decreasing, and vegetation changing. On top of that you'd likely want to have weather patterns changing, erosion, and what have you.

You'd need to hook all of that up to something that plausibly models how all of that is affected by cloud cover (albedo), atmospheric composition, presence of liquid water, abundance of vegetation, and so on and so forth.

And then you'd need to give the player ways to change all of that: bombarding a planet with icy comets, engineering vegetation that survives on its icecaps and planting that; dusting the upper atmosphere with agents to increase albedo or increase greenhouse effect; magic atmosphere-affecting machinery, and what have you.

In other words, it would be a huge, huge effort, on the same scale as the entire rest of the game. If done well it could be masses of fun, but I would be really surprised if anything like it makes it into KSP2. It could be a massive post-launch expansion or, hey, KSP3, but it's certainly much more than a nice feature to have.

(Landscaping, though. That would be a feature, and I would like it. ;) )

My only hope is that the "Improved and deeper modding" promised includes API hooks that would allow people to accomplish this if they wanted to work for it.

Because just like you, i basically think it's too much work for them right now.

On 1/21/2021 at 8:40 AM, Lo.M said:

-Metallic hydrogen I DIDN'T COME UP WITH THE IDEA. No fights here.

.... list outhers ......

So I’m gonna start a fight and can you take this off the list cause Metallic hydrogen is almost a thing and in a century it will be very much a thing

1 hour ago, SpaceFace545 said:

So I’m gonna start a fight and can you take this off the list cause Metallic hydrogen is almost a thing and in a century it will be very much a thing

Must... Restrain... Self...

Let's either end the fight right here or continue it in the metallic hydrogen thread.

15 minutes ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

Must... Restrain... Self...

Let's either end the fight right here or continue it in the metallic hydrogen thread.

How should we decide, the devs most likely won’t look at any of the stuff on this list or change their minds, so I vote to remove any confirmed features from the list.

57 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

How should we decide, the devs most likely won’t look at any of the stuff on this list or change their minds, so I vote to remove any confirmed features from the list.

It's a list of "shoulds" not "woulds" and therefore is completely subjective.

And completely ignorable by anybody including the devs.

first off, for terraforming, if its too complicated, dumb it down a little, just have the game check temp and pressure and base it on that

Pressure range for water is about 0.8 atm, to 1 atm

Temp range is identical to melting/boiling point, planet would begin to be green once water is on surface, laythe, for example, has ok pressure, but low temps, you would need to raise it, but then, laythe would be a nice place to live

On 1/22/2021 at 2:56 PM, Brikoleur said:

My take is that terraforming is just too much work to implement. You'd need to make planets dynamic, so they change over time; you'd need to implement mechanics that govern how they change. Even a very basic implementation would need to ...

Agree that it would take too much work, but universe sandbox does all that stuff that you mentioned... but it would also mean that the planets would basically all need to be procedurally generated, not custom made as is the case currently.

OTH, it would ensure all planets are realistic

On 1/24/2021 at 10:25 PM, SpaceFace545 said:

So I’m gonna start a fight ...

I invite you to thoroughly read the "worried about magic tech" thread and the metallic hydrogen discussion thread, and *if* you have a new argument (which currently does not seem to be the case), to post it there.

23 hours ago, kspnerd122 said:

Pressure range for water is about 0.8 atm, to 1 atm

Pure Water can exist at much lower pressure, it can even exist at pressures found on mars at the bottom of the helkas basin... but in that case, there is a *very* narrow range between boiling and freezing

I'd like to keep the Kerbals out. Who needs 'em? Probe gang 2021 baby!

1 hour ago, Dr. Kerbal said:

Oh my. I don’t want to see every update to be a DLC.

Absolutely. I don't mind DLC, but I hope they don't go too far like a lot of game devs and make half of the features in game paid DLC. I just got Destiny 2 and like 2/3rds of it is DLC.

I'm just hoping they don't tie mods to some proprietary, publisher-managed account system. The last thing we need is to be forced to log in to play, or be limited to "approved" mods, or be limited to the amount of mb/gb of mods you can download per day without a "sooper premium paywall" account on your "kerbal install manager exxtreme" account that is tied to one computer only.

On 1/21/2021 at 8:40 AM, Lo.M said:

space elevator  (complicated for the game)

Because 200m long ladders on Eve is totally practical.  Oh. I get it now. yeah no. No "Space Elevators". It's not possible. We already know that. 

Edited by James M

On 1/22/2021 at 1:56 PM, Brikoleur said:

but I would be really surprised if anything like it makes it into KSP2. It could be a massive post-launch expansion or, hey, KSP3,

KSP 3 for the sake of KSP 3. Does KSP 3 have a reason to be considered at this time?