What do you all do IRL?

MaximilianIV

54 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

There’s an old thread that is close to this topic, and could stand reviving and possibly updating....

It should give you some info on may people here. Now excuse me while I get back to work retreading semi-trailer tires...

I don't know if i'll organize it that much, but then again, maybe I will!

My hope was for this to be like the face thread but with people's current occupations.

2 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

I had not seen this..... I guess if the mods want me to remove this I will.

Oh, you don't have to remove it, we'll just MERGE THEM!    BHAHAHAHAHA... oh sorry.....

EDIT: Although, I do prefer your title Spiff, as it allows some that aren't working (students etc), to be included in the thread. 

Edited by Gargamel

22 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

I don't know if i'll organize it that much, but then again, maybe I will!

My hope was for this to be like the face thread but with people's current occupations.

Yeah, I need to go and update that thread... It's not been touched in over a year. So... maybe?!

13 hours ago, qzgy said:

Uni student, not aerospace engineering or engineering.

Well as long as you ain't getting a PhD in basket- weaving you're investing in yourself. 

Also kudos to everyone who has important work helping us all live in a better world. 

23 minutes ago, starcaptain said:

Well as long as you ain't getting a PhD in basket- weaving you're investing in yourself. 

Also kudos to everyone who has important work helping us all live in a better world. 

No, but getting a Ph.D. in history can be about as useful a a Ph.D. in basket weaving or underwater fire building...

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

No, but getting a Ph.D. in history can be about as useful a a Ph.D. in basket weaving or underwater fire building...

Get yourself hired as a researcher and writer for one of those YouTube channels that takes history and condenses it into humorously animated 5 minute shorts. 

Or maybe help me write my next novel.

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

One of my coworkers recently made a comment that he has the most useless degree in the world, a masters in psychology, so he went back to school & got his aircraft dispatch license.  I told him no, that's only the second most worthless.  My daughter only has a Bachelor's in psych and the best job she could find was running a register at walmart.

2 hours ago, starcaptain said:

An old joke from when I was an (failing) engineering student:

Q. What do you say when you meet an Arts graduate?

Spoiler

A. I’d like a Big Mac, a large fries, and a large Coke please....

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

An old joke from when I was an (failing) engineering student:

Q. What do you say when you meet an Arts graduate?

Reveal hidden contents

A. I’d like a Big Mac, a large fries, and a large Coke please....

Larf. Seriously though, engineers flexing on other disciplines is not a very forward-thinking attitude. Especially considering engineering is an inherently highly creative field that does well to enjoy and employ the boons from other bodies of knowledge, discovery and invention. And after all,  all engineers are like pirates, when they're in school. 

Spoiler

They all sail the high C's.

3 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Ph.D. in history

I'm pretty sure if you have one of these it might be pretty darn important.

2 hours ago, Cavscout74 said:

psychology

idk, here they seem to be doing well in human resource departments !

1 hour ago, starcaptain said:

And after all,  all engineers are like pirates, when they're in school.

Reveal hidden contents

That hit too close to home for me. I'm honestly not sure what I'd do after graduating given that.

Edited by YNM

1 hour ago, YNM said:

I'm pretty sure if you have one of these it might be pretty darn important.

I do have one - and have the student loans to prove it!

The thing that it all boils down to when you have the Ph.D. is in retrospect. Why did I get the Ph.D., and now that I have it, what can I do with it?  Why? I still don't know why I chose the Ph.D. in history. What can I do with it? Turns out there are more Ph.D.s in history than the job market will support.

6 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

underwater fire building...

Underwater welding is a fairly rare job to have, so I've heard. Same thing with welding for skyscrapers.

57 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

The thing that it all boils down to when you have the Ph.D. is in retrospect. Why did I get the Ph.D., and now that I have it, what can I do with it ?

Yeah, I've heard that sometimes people go and pursue further education in what they started with but it's actually no longer their profession, it's just to fulfil the qualifications.
That being said, one of my distant relatives do lectures history.

Edited by YNM

3 hours ago, starcaptain said:

Larf. Seriously though, engineers flexing on other disciplines is not a very forward-thinking attitude. Especially considering engineering is an inherently highly creative field that does well to enjoy and employ the boons from other bodies of knowledge, discovery and invention. And after all,  all engineers are like pirates, when they're in school. 

Reveal hidden contents

I don’t mean to “flex on” or denigrate the other disciplines, although in retrospect I suppose that’s how that joke comes across; sorry about that. And it is an old joke from the late 80s, when such banter was more common and less frowned upon. I’m sure the Arts faculty had plenty of jibes at us geerheads. Fact is, I suspect  many or most engineers are artists at heart who are good at math. 

And for the record, in Canada competition for post-secondary seats is (and was) fierce. High C’s did not cut it. Unfortunately, neither did I, once I made it in. At UBC I was too busy enjoying the social life I never had before to get enough sleep to focus on class. 

I work in an office mainly “doing computer stuff” no one else in the office can. That used to be a lot of Excel, then Photoshop and Illustrator (I still recommend developing Illustrator skills to anyone), and nowadays it involves writing lots of Python code.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.